Consistant measuring speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consistant measuring speed

I am trying to solve some issues with people here that always turn the speed down on the jog box to around 50%. I have always told people to use the same speed measuring as when calibrating. I am having a very hard getting people to leave their hands off of the speeds.

Anybody have a good idea on how to explain this in layman's terms to get them to understand? (besides beating them with a baseball bat).

Duane
    Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
    Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

We have the same issue here. Just explain to them that they cannot fear the speed of the machine and that they must run the machine at consistently the same speed in order to achieve the highest amount of accuracy and precision as possible...
    sigpic
    Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
    PCDMIS 2012
    Windows Office XP

Comment

You could write a little program which measures a part several times at different speeds. Then, you will have evidence that changing the speed changes the results. You would have to change the speed on the jogbox in between runs on the part as I assume they are not changing the speed in the program. Maybe just measure the sphere in dcc. change the speed down a bar, measure the sphere, change the speed down a bar, etc.

Or, maybe you could figure out a way to disable the speed control on the jogbox.

Comment

Is there anyway to query the controller with PCDMIS to determine what the override control is set to?
        Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Just tell them the program is written to run at that speed and if it needs to run slower it is put in the program. Put a comment at the start to say run at all bars and then they will have no choice or they will not be following the instructions. I've never had an inspector not want to run it at full speed.
          sigpicOn the Obama Express. Next stop, the soup line.

Comment

I just did my little test on my machine. Using 30% movespeed in the program, 1% touch speed, .05in prehit/retract, and measuring my sphere. I ran it with all possible speed settings on the jog box. I only got .0001 in difference in diameter between fastest and slowest. Perhaps using the sphere is not the best test.

Comment

Originally posted by Bass Assasin View Post
              I've never had an inspector not want to run it at full speed.

We have. They desire longer breaks. More F/O time...
              sigpic
              PCDMIS 2012
              Windows Office XP

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
                Is there anyway to query the controller with PCDMIS to determine what the override control is set to?
                I know it kicks up an error if you set the jog box to zero so there must be something going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
                  I just did my little test on my machine. Using 30% movespeed in the program, 1% touch speed, .05in prehit/retract, and measuring my sphere. I ran it with all possible speed settings on the jog box. I only got .0001 in difference in diameter between fastest and slowest. Perhaps using the sphere is not the best test.

My biggest error is on partial spherical radii and we have plenty of those on our parts. Last Friday an operator was complaining of a .01" difference between one CMM and another. I w had problems with that because I know the CMMs will do better than that.

Investigating the issue, I found that he ran the first part at 50% on the controller and the other at 100%. After I ran the part on both CMMs, there was less than .0005" difference between printouts which I thought was pretty good.

Off shift people are notorious for running the CMM slow.
                  Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
                  Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by dwade View Post

The machine is beeping so it would appear that they are busy lil' bees...
                    sigpic
                    PCDMIS 2012
                    Windows Office XP

Comment

Originally posted by dwade View Post

I don't know, put a comment in that threatens that the machine could crash if not run at full speed?! Maybe figure out a way to add another comment that will only pop up every now and then that say "check to ensure machine is running at full speed on the jog box" Then they might think the machine can tell.

Comment

half the staff on our "off shift" sometimes gets more done than twice the day staff. in all our defense though, some of the larger tips trigger in mid air at full speed.

Comment

Ok, do you think that you could make two moves and get the time for each move and calculate the current move speed setting? Ok, that may be a stupid idea but just wondering how to determine if the over ride is in effect.
                          Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Originally posted by emkay4597 View Post
                            in all our defense though, some of the larger tips trigger in mid air at full speed.
                            When this happens, I add a smaller Movespeed value to prevent the air hit, then increase it after the move.
                            v2013 MR1, v2015.1
                            B&S Global 544, 555
                            Mitutoyo A504 w/PC-DMIS

sigpic
                            Since 1994

Never force anything. Get a bigger hammer.
                            (Advice from my dad.)

Comment

Originally posted by Don Meredith View Post
                              When this happens, I add a smaller Movespeed value to prevent the air hit, then increase it after the move.
                              Same thing that I do, program it right in so it call still run at full bar. Just use the same values in the calibration program for that tip.
                              sigpic

B&S Global 544
                              Using 3.7mr3

Peace
                              Greg

Nothin left ta dew but :) :) :) !

Comment