Alignment Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alignment Help

Good morning, the datums defined on the customer print are a bit confusing and may not be defined correctly (big surprise).

Datum A = Plane
    Datum B = Hole
    Datum C = Axis between 2 opposing studs the location of which is defined as basic in the X,Z plane from datum B. I have picked up the diameters of both studs and created a 3d line between them. Then I created a point at the midpoint of this line to use for Datum C.

Datum A is leveled to Y Pos
    Datum B is constrained to X=0.0 Z=0.0
    I believe the part now has to rotate around datum B until it gets as close as possible to the basic location of datum C. (Best fit for C only rotating around datum B).

If the above interpretation is correct what is the correct alignment method to "clock" the part and remove the last remaining degree of freedom? BTW I am using a CAD model and V4.0 for todays festivities.

Thanks !!!

t.
    Global Image 555
    PH10M-TP200
    PC-DMIS Cad ++
    Win7 64 bit
    V2014.1

To start I would do an iterative alignment manually and in DCC mode. Not necessarily using the datum structure presented for review.

Then I would go on to my print datum structure. This is my methodology, you don't have to follow it, but I have quite a bit of luck with it.

Datum A = Plane
    Datum B = Hole
    Datum C = Axis between 2 opposing studs

Level -A- to the Y axis (-Y if the plane is facing you, +Y if the plane is facing away from you)
    Rotate -C- to the X axis (dependant on the way the line was created) about the -/+ Y axis (see above)
    Translate to -B- in the X and the Z
    Translate to -A- in the Y axis
    All degrees of freedom are constrained

P.S.
    I would be using a 2D line for -C- (remember to be in the correct workplane)
    Last edited by JamesMannes; 02-01-2007, 10:33 AM.
    sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Thank you !
      Global Image 555
      PH10M-TP200
      PC-DMIS Cad ++
      Win7 64 bit
      V2014.1

Comment