How often do you calibrate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you calibrate

Hi guys I was just wondering how often you calibrate your probes? I have 4 cmm's (2 sheffields) (1 B&S) and (1 LK.) running 3.7 mr2 on all machines, Tool changers on all of them. We run layout on all 3 shifts. Right now we calibrate them every morning, once a day. The reason Im asking is because the other day I was checking a part and the probe that I was using lost its calibration in the 90-180 angle. Everything in that angle checked bad but all the other angles that was used in the program for the part checked good. I rehomed & recalibrated all probes in the tool changer then everything on the part was good. So now im wondering how often other folks calibrate.

on our pump line they run full tilt 24/7 so they do the tips they need for that program twice a shift. maybe a lil over kill but it only takes a few min to do.
    sigpic
    if you had soap on a rope it would be tied to yer ankle

Comment

We have a small micro val committed to doing in process checks on machined parts. All programs are written with the same type probe. We get these parts everyday. We calibrate in the morning before we start or if one of the monkeys f's up & somehow crashs the machine.

My machine I have different probe files for everything in case of the dreaded corrupted probe file. So i'm constantly requalifying.
      sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

I do them before I program anything.

For existing programs, I do them anytime a program is opened. In fact, I have the tip calibration at the beginning of the program. It asks if you want to calibrate tips when you click execute. If you click yes, it calibrates all the tips and angles used in that program. If you click no, it skips the calibration and moves on to the program. Of course, my programs are run an average of 3 times through and then another program is used.

Overkill? Probably but it saves explaining to someone why possibly good parts were reported bad. It also saves remeasuring said parts and instills more confidence in a machine many do not fully trust.

Comment

We calibrate all tips daily for both DEA CMM's. Using a star probe setup requires approx 2-2 1/2 hours but as previously stated, it is a small investment of time to ensure quality data.

Comment

Similar to "Goodluck",

I also do tip calibrations at the beginning of a part program. I quite often use different probe build ups for different parts.

The only exception being, when I've calibrated a tip and am verifying many parts over a couple of days.
            I'm the only one running my cmm, and room is locked up when I leave.

Regards,
            ZydecoPete
            sigpic

Comment

Anytime I unscrew the probe. (which is frequent)
              Anytime I crash. (almost never )
              When I've used an operator instead of me.
              Otherwise once a week. (But that never happens.)
              When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
              sigpic

Comment

Only when I unscrew the tip (duh)
                I am the only one who touches my CMM
                sigpicYou're just jealous the voices talk to me.

Comment

Originally posted by DaddyBluto View Post

That would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by DaddyBluto View Post
                    I like touching my CMM.
                    Sometimes I touch it when I'm alone.
                    Sometimes I touch it with other people in the room.

I like to calibrate.
                    Sometimes I calibrate all by myself.
                    I have never calibrated as part of a group.
                    sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post
                      I like touching my CMM.

I like to calibrate.

Wow...i'm slightly aroused....

Comment

To be sure , i do "Qualification Check" for the random angles.If the results are bad , i repeat the qualification.
                        sigpic
                        Either seem as you are or be as you seem.M.J.Rumi

Comment

James

What time is shock therapy each week.?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post
                            I like touching my CMM.

I like to calibrate.
                            Pictures?

You really should try the group thing, it can be exciting being watched sometimes. Sometimes when I know I am being watched I pretend I don't know they are watching me. I also like to wear women's underwear during my calibration routines.

As I have gotten more and more comfortable with others handling my probe I'd say they run it through calibration once per shift plus whenever they think there may be a problem. That usually cues them into things like a dirty tip (baby wipes make a hasty bedside cleanup when needed) or sudden temperature changes like when a bay door is opened (also refered to as "shrinkage").

We have no standard protocol for this though. We are kind of a spontaneous bunch that just submits to the heat of the moment.
                            <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

Shock therapy?

Is that the instance of immersing your calibration equipment in a cold or hot room and immediately qualifying you probes?

If so, I never have done that. I always allow my calibration equipment to "soak" in the room for at least 24 hours. This curtails any shrinkage or unwanted expansion.
                              sigpic

James Mannes

Comment