Large cad files (800+mb)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large cad files (800+mb)

Does anyone else have issues with large cad files (files over 800 mb)? I am using a catia translator and I am having major issues with these files once they are imported (have been for a couple of years now). We have well over the recommended memory/ram, etc. to handle these files but I am running into countless errors etc. and was just wondering if anyone else has found a solution to these types of issues?
    sigpic
    Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
    PCDMIS 2012
    Windows Office XP

Originally posted by rangerboat72 View Post
    Does anyone else have issues with large cad files (files over 800 mb)? I am using a catia translator and I am having major issues with these files once they are imported (have been for a couple of years now). We have well over the recommended memory/ram, etc. to handle these files but I am running into countless errors etc. and was just wondering if anyone else has found a solution to these types of issues?
    (smaller cad files! snicker!)

Well, have you tried dividing the cad files into smaller segments, program off one segment, then replce the cad, then repeat? Pain in the rump, but it might be a possible work-around.

Here's a tricky idea for you (don't know if it will work), have the cad guys chop the data into, say, 4 sections (approx 200mb each), then make a Pcdmis program that is nothing more than data, ie PART-CARP-SECTION-1-DATA (yes, I used MINUS, not underline!). Then, once you have these 'data programs' for each section, make your real program and do a CAD REFERENCE IMPORT from each, see if that will help. It should give you the look of ALL the data but with a VERY small .CAD file for the program.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

What exactly is your problem? Is it slow to pull up?

I found that models converted in V4.0 and earlier, pull up really slow in V4.1. The only solution I found was to re-convert the model using the translator that comes with V4.1. Delete the old model and then re-load into your program. That sped my system up by 95%! Went from 45 seconds for a 50 Meg file to less than 3.

Jan.
      PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
      Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
        (smaller cad files! snicker!)

Normally I deal with a lot smaller files (50-150mb), which I do not mind at all. It's just the assemblies that I hate dealing with.

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post

Well, have you tried dividing the cad files into smaller segments, program off one segment, then replce the cad, then repeat? Pain in the rump, but it might be a possible work-around.

Here's a tricky idea for you (don't know if it will work), have the cad guys chop the data into, say, 4 sections (approx 200mb each), then make a Pcdmis program that is nothing more than data, ie PART-CARP-SECTION-1-DATA (yes, I used MINUS, not underline!). Then, once you have these 'data programs' for each section, make your real program and do a CAD REFERENCE IMPORT from each, see if that will help. It should give you the look of ALL the data but with a VERY small .CAD file for the program.
        I'm working on that now. What a pain in the rump that is. At least I get paid by the hour and not the job...
        sigpic
        PCDMIS 2012
        Windows Office XP

Comment

Originally posted by Jan d. View Post
          What exactly is your problem? Is it slow to pull up?

I found that models converted in V4.0 and earlier, pull up really slow in V4.1. The only solution I found was to re-convert the model using the translator that comes with V4.1. Delete the old model and then re-load into your program. That sped my system up by 95%! Went from 45 seconds for a 50 Meg file to less than 3.

Jan.
          I'm trying to import it in 4.0 (the latest version we have on the machine that has the cad translator). Copy the file to my machine P.C. and open it in 4.1Beta. Once the file opens I get a serialization error???
          sigpic
          PCDMIS 2012
          Windows Office XP

Comment

I found that the problem exists all the way up to V4.0. So if you were to translate your model in V4.0, you still have the problem. The only thing that worked for me was translating through V4.1. I have reported this problem to Hexagon under PR 245555. No answer yet.

They changed something when going from V4.0 to V4.1. I re-converted my CAD files using V4.1, and all problems were gone. They load quick and painlessly.

I do not understand your serialization problem. I never had that.

Jan.
            Last edited by Jan d.; 01-30-2007, 09:16 AM.
            PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
            Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

I'm not sure why I am getting the serialization error either... Looks like today is going to be a day full of experimenting. I'm going to try installing 4.1Beta on the machine with the translator to see if that helps any.
              sigpic
              PCDMIS 2012
              Windows Office XP

Comment

longer still?

We just received our 4.1 upgrade discs. (We stayed with 3.7 mr3 and tossed the 4.0 discs because of all the bad feelings with the version.) Are you saying that the programming to CAD in 4.1 (i.e., importing and programming) is going to take even longer? My lord.....when I do large CAD files now, between the importing and regeneration between program entries I'm knitting a quilt as it is. Any suggestions?
                Physics dictates to man why his world acts the way it does....Chemistry tells him why it smells the way it does.

Comment

One of our 3rd party houses receives the files in an .exp format. I assume they are using some type of cad software to shrink the files down. For example: when I use the catia translator to import a file the size is approximately 800mb, the exact same part in their program is approximately 150mb? Anybody know anything about .exp files or the cad program that would be able to shrink the files like this?
                  sigpic
                  PCDMIS 2012
                  Windows Office XP

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenmaniac View Post
                    We just received our 4.1 upgrade discs. (We stayed with 3.7 mr3 and tossed the 4.0 discs because of all the bad feelings with the version.) Are you saying that the programming to CAD in 4.1 (i.e., importing and programming) is going to take even longer? My lord.....when I do large CAD files now, between the importing and regeneration between program entries I'm knitting a quilt as it is. Any suggestions?
                    We import with 4.1 and then program with 3.7MR3... works great.
                    Lately, it occurs to me
                    What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

.EXP is a Catia Export File, it is only available in Catia. There was another software out there at one time that could do this as well, but, I don't know the name of it anymore. EXP is also associated with the Step Express Schema which is another offshoot within Catia.

Unless you have Catia, I think you might be out o' luck unless your customers would help you out with them.

El Freak
                      DCCFreak

Comment

What I do with large assembly models,
                        is open the assembly in Catia and write each individual part I need out in the assembly coordinate system.
                        This allows me to bring the parts into PC D-MIS one at a time so it does not bog down the system.
                        They are all in the assembly coordinate system so they pop in, in the correct place as long as you do an iterative alignment to the assembly coordinate system with the first part.
                        Works rather well, if you have access to Catia or similar software or can request it from your customer.
                        Note: I had looked at V4.1 and was impressed with the ability you have to manipulate assemblies from within PC D-MIS,
                        I'm still waiting on IT to install V4.1 on a PC with a machine, so I can test it out on-line.

Comment

Originally posted by RussL View Post
                          What I do with large assembly models,
                          is open the assembly in Catia and write each individual part I need out in the assembly coordinate system.
                          This allows me to bring the parts into PC D-MIS one at a time so it does not bog down the system.
                          They are all in the assembly coordinate system so they pop in, in the correct place as long as you do an iterative alignment to the assembly coordinate system with the first part.
                          Works rather well, if you have access to Catia or similar software or can request it from your customer.
                          Note: I had looked at V4.1 and was impressed with the ability you have to manipulate assemblies from within PC D-MIS,
                          I'm still waiting on IT to install V4.1 on a PC with a machine, so I can test it out on-line.
                          I'm using 4.1 but have not tried any of the manipulation of the 3D data. Maybe I should be looking into that because we no longer have access to Catia at our assembly plant (where I'm at). We use to have 3 designers in plant and we used to have a Catia workstation in the CMM room. Due to budget cuts that is all done at our headquarters now by several different designers that are 4 hours away.

Originally posted by dccfreak View Post
                          .EXP is a Catia Export File, it is only available in Catia. There was another software out there at one time that could do this as well, but, I don't know the name of it anymore. EXP is also associated with the Step Express Schema which is another offshoot within Catia.

Unless you have Catia, I think you might be out o' luck unless your customers would help you out with them.

El Freak
                          I guess I might be out o' luck . . .
                          sigpic
                          PCDMIS 2012
                          Windows Office XP

Comment