serialization error---error: ALT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• serialization error---error: ALT

first time I ever go this...Just about finished the program and BAM!!! I'm stopped cold. I can't even get into the program to see if one is left. All I have on the screen is Serialization error and then below that it says " Error: ALT.
    Any clues?

Originally posted by Lee Dufendach View Post
    first time I ever go this...Just about finished the program and BAM!!! I'm stopped cold. I can't even get into the program to see if one is left. All I have on the screen is Serialization error and then below that it says " Error: ALT.
    Any clues?
    Welcome to the PC DEMON...

Hopefully you had Autosave turned on.
    sigpic
    Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
    PCDMIS 2012
    Windows Office XP

Comment

I think it is a bug, what version do you use?
      Ctrl+S may be help when coding program.
      PC-DMIS 3.7 mr3

Comment

Originally posted by jimfly View Post
        I think it is a bug, what version do you use?
        Ctrl+S may be help when coding program.
        Ctrl+S twice to be sure. I've gotten in the habit of doing the Ctrl+S about every 10 minutes of writing a new program.
        sigpic
        Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
        PCDMIS 2012
        Windows Office XP

Comment

Any clues?
          Sorry, no recovery possible. The only thing that seems to make this error happen less frequent is installing the hotfix for XP with SP2:

http://www.wilcoxassoc.com/support/hotfix.htm

Doesn't solve this problem but makes it go from weekly to quarterly.

Make yourself a little batch file that copies all your program files to another location or file name. Run this program daily. That way you are assured that you loose no more than 1 day's worth of work.

It is terrible that this problem keeps cropping up. This one ought to be beyond number 1 of things to fix on Hexagon's things-to-fix-list. It destroys our programs. Cash destruction. Unacceptable.

Jan.

by the way, please fill out your user profile!
          PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
          Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

You probably lost it all, but try a couple things.

First completely delete your probe file, then try to open up....

Next, try to open in a text editor and look for something weird near the end...

This has worked ONCE only, can't remember what version, but considering it took me 5 hours to program, it was worth it. If I am working on a large program, I tend to just make a copy as the day goes on, and yes..SAVE,SAVE, but once you get an ALT ERROR, you are usually baked anyway...

Let us kow how you make out.
            Jim Jewell

Comment

Originally posted by jjewell View Post
              You probably lost it all, but try a couple things.

Next, try to open in a text editor and look for something weird near the end...

This has worked ONCE only, can't remember what version, but considering it took me 5 hours to program, it was worth it. If I am working on a large program, I tend to just make a copy as the day goes on, and yes..SAVE,SAVE, but once you get an ALT ERROR, you are usually baked anyway...

Let us kow how you make out.
              I was able to do that before as well. I've actually done it with a corrupt .mdb database. Sometimes you get lucky give it a shot. Check your file size too. I have had programs go South before and it is like there is nothing there, the .prg will be 2 or 4 KB vs a couple of hundred at least. If you are getting this error and the .prg size is very small (couple of KB) give up. You are toast in that case.
              <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

Any clues?

Not often but sometimes this work for me, opening this prg file with MS-Word Appl. then copy all - create a new pcdmis pprg-paste all-done.

HTH
                Saliha
                sigpic
                Either seem as you are or be as you seem.M.J.Rumi

Comment

how do you open the .prg file in MSWORD?

I forced it using the "open with" function and all I got was hyroglyphics (sp?)
                  sigpiccall me "Plum Crazy"....but you only go around once!

Comment