Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point Maps

Hello,
    I have a question regarding the creation of point maps using PC-DMIS. All of our customers are using and sending us MBD files without any dimensioning on them. We are doing a lot of the engineering work and then verifying the parts on our Mitutoyo Bright. Is anyone else doing this kind of thing? If so, according to the customer spec on this, as well as our 2nd tier customers we need to create 'Point Maps'. The point maps they want, need to be plain as to what point the dimension labels are pointing to, as well as have some info in the box (deviation and # of points, no problem there). I have found this to be extremely trying in the graphics display window, especially when I have a few hundred points on a model to display. If anyone is doing this and has any tips on this, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thank you.
    version 3.7 MR3, Mitutoyo Bright A916
    Global A 9128, Global S 9128, Global fx7107, microhiteDCC

One of our third-party inspection house creates them. They have a special software that creates them but I forget the name of the software. I'll have to say, it looks pretty darn nice. They generate like 7 or 8 different types of reports with it too...
    sigpic
    Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
    PCDMIS 2012
    Windows Office XP

Comment

I do the same thing with Excel. It took a lot of time to get a 'master' set up to begin with, but then it only takes about the same amount of time to set it up for a part as it does to check the part, maybe 2 parts maximum. Does the 'road map', total tolerances, deviaiton mark-up (single parts or all the parts), ranges, summary & SPC and the CMM report as well and it also highlights OUT OF TOLERANCE points as well. When I finally get around to V4+, I won't have to mess with any of those **** templates.

Last edited by Matthew D. Hoedeman; 02-21-2007, 01:31 PM.
      sigpic
      Originally posted by AndersI
      I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Thank you for the responses.
        If you happen to remember the name of the inspection place that does the point maps for you, I would appreciate it. Setting up a master in excel would be too time consuming to be worth it, I am afraid, due to the fact that I have approx. 190 parts with only about 7 ship sets each, coupled with the fact that they are all FTU's and are changing constantly.
        Regards

Comment

Matthew,

What you are doing is also what I need to learn how to do.

Would you be able to assist?? I sure could use your help.

Please let me know.

I can send you my email address as well.

Many thanks in advance.

ZydecoPete
          sigpic

Comment

Here is an example of what I am up against. I am in need of any suggestions for help in creating a viable point map for parts such as this.
            Thanks,
            Attached Files

Comment

Damon,

First, turn off those goofy little icons in the label, second, turn off the auto label placement thing majiggy.

The best thing I can recommend is this : Turn on only the first 50 labels, do a screen capture with Capture Express (Or some other capture software that doesn't have to grab the WHOLE screen) the turn off 1-50, then turn on 51-100 do another capture and so on. I do these everyday and can get alot done quite quickly. Capture express just saves each one as a seperate JPEG, then I can bring them all into Excel or Word very quickly...

If you need any more help, contact me.

Pete, you already know where I am...
              Jim Jewell

Comment

Hi,
                Thank you for responding. I know that some people don't like the little icons in the label, but I kinda dig them . I have tried your suggestion of only bringing up some of the labels and going on from there. My issue is that I simply do not have the time to go through and hide/unhide labels based on what you can and cannot see in the present view on the graphics display window. And then... go back and rotate the model and then show labels that were not shown in previous views, etc. etc. What I am hoping to find or hear about is a way to have the software automatically depict the labels in a reasonable fashion, i.e. only as many as can be seen at one time and only those labels which point to features which can be seen in the current view. With the auto label position off, I then am stuck trying to click and drag the labels off of the model. So essentially what I need is for there to be something in PC-DMIS which recognizes the need for a readable point map and can generate one accordingly. The screen capture is not really an issue, only 2 clicks and it is done, full screen or just a little area, whatever I want it to be.
                Again, thank you for your response,
                Regards,

Comment

Hi,
                  sorry, I guess I should further clarify that these customers are wanting the labels to have leader lines which clearly point to features on the model, without any confusion by overlapping lines or hidden features, etc.
                  I am certain that everyone out there is dealing with this new idea of no paper work involved in the inspection process, thus no drawings or 'zones' to reference to the CMM report. So there must be point maps being made to fulfill this? help....

Comment

Point maps

I use the DMIS graphics window to generate maps like these. I got lucky and talked the boss into the full version of Adobe Acrobat, although there is some pretty nice freeware like Cute PDF that works well.
                    If things start getting cluttered, I'll make more than one map, toggling the labels on and off as needed. Save the maps and they're there for next time.
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic:eek: Bring out the comfy chair!:eek:

Comment

Although this doesn't answer your question in regards to PC-Dmis having a fetaure to do the points map (and truthfully I don't think there is)...here is what we do for all our customers, it takes approx 5-10 mins to create, and then we save it in a folder under the program name/revision...

We run 'Step-Ahead' that makes the nice template based on info included in the program...nice software but a little pricey.

All the pictures are simple screen captures....

Aaron
                      Attached Files
                      "Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence" - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Thanks to all for your replies. It is a bummer that there is nothing apparently 'automatic' for dealing with this process. Maybe in future releases there will be? One can hope.
                        Again, thank you for your help.
                        Regards,

Comment

Since this is v3.7 MR3 we are discussing here, why don't you just use the Hyper Report function and send the output to a PDF? This is exactly one of the functions it is intended for and it exists within PCDMIS. No other software is needed.

If you have never used it, contact Tech Support. They can walk you through over the phone. It is incredibly simple and you can create some nice reports.

Shawn

Comment

Rhode Island AE,

This may not be the best avenue to go, since hyper-reporting is not available to use in version 4.0 and newer.
                            My understanding is that you're able to report anything that was made in versions lower than this, but not able to edit or create from 4.0 and above.

Regards,
                            ZydecoPete
                            sigpic

Comment

ZydecoPete,

This is true. You make a valid point. This may not be the best avenue since you can only run existing Hyper Reports in later versions & not edit them as you mentioned.

But it may also be the best avenue since the original post mentioned he is using v3.7MR3 and the tools are already available to him to perform the task at hand in that version. Plus if they start using it, when/if they do ever upgrade, they will have some experience on how to create custom reports. Even if the function is no longer available, the newer one replacing it will more than likely have similar tools.

They may never upgrade. Many customer's don't. I am actually scheduled to train someone in a software that hasn't had a new version is 10 years. It happens. :-)

Shawn

Comment