Find, search for circle stud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find, search for circle stud

I have a .021" stud circle that varies in location Y +/-.100" one direction and Z +/-.060" in the other dircection. And from the nominal X direction the circle/stud only protrudes approx .08". So I have been trying to write a sequence that will search for the surface of the circle/stud so that I can succesfully find the starting point for measuring the circle.

I have been struggling with this. I am not sure what will work best. Any ideas.

Matt
    DEA MISTRAL
    PC DMIS CAD++
    Version 2013
    Windows 7 64bit
    DataPage+ 2011 MR1

Have you used sample hits (use a NEGATIVE spacer for a stud) to set the height above surface with the find hole option? THe combination, once figured out, should do what you are looking for.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Have you tried setting your prehit & check distance high so it will search
      sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
        Have you used sample hits (use a NEGATIVE spacer for a stud) to set the height above surface with the find hole option? THe combination, once figured out, should do what you are looking for.

In addition to sample hits, I will measure the circle twice. The first time to find it and either translate to it in the axes you need or you the relative measure function on the second circle.
        sigpic
        Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
        PCDMIS 2012
        Windows Office XP

Comment

(or use the REMEAS function)
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

In response to the find circle. You don't have the option of using find hole on a stud. I have changed the prehit and check distance but I need to have it somehow loop and move each time it doesn't find the face. Keeping in mind that the face of the stud can vary the +/-.100" in Y, +/-.06 in Z and +/-.06 in X.
            I just can't figure out how to assign move in increments and measure the stud when the value is true.
            DEA MISTRAL
            PC DMIS CAD++
            Version 2013
            Windows 7 64bit
            DataPage+ 2011 MR1

Comment

You could take surface hits somewhere near the stud, then use the relative measure function.
              sigpic
              PCDMIS 2012
              Windows Office XP

Comment

I have also tried using the REMEAS. My goal is to get away from any manual probing. I did originally have it so that on ERROR you would have to manually measure at point at the surface and then that would be you Y and Z set point for the center of the stud. Again that have manual points. There are up to 78 studs on this part and I don't want the operators to have to watch the part run and perform many manual hits.
                DEA MISTRAL
                PC DMIS CAD++
                Version 2013
                Windows 7 64bit
                DataPage+ 2011 MR1

Comment

What do you need to find and how big around is this thing? Would it be easier to find the OD then align and hit the face? Must you find the face first?
                  <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

I believe I need to find the face first. The problem I run into is this stud only protrudes .08 from the surface and the surface of the stud can vary from theoretical nominal+/-.060". So to make sure that the probe does not error trying to find the stud I need to know how far in I can go.
                    The other thing is if the center of the stud can vary amount in position trying to locate the .021" stud first doesn't work due to the size of the diameter.
                    DEA MISTRAL
                    PC DMIS CAD++
                    Version 2013
                    Windows 7 64bit
                    DataPage+ 2011 MR1

Comment

matfurtaw,

Here is another example that you could try. First measure the stud with 3 hits on the od. Use a larger prehit / retract etc., you could also use the read position. Call this circle "RST" (relative stud).
                      Next measure the same stud, "targeting" the "relative stud" and this should work out fine for you.

I've used this many times in the plastic industry for features that tend to "move around".

See below for an example. I hope that this works for you.

Blessings,
                      ZydecoPete

RST =AUTO/CIRCLE,SHOWALLPARAMS = NO,SHOWHITS = NO
                      THEO/0,-43.3,0,0,0.9996622,-0.0259912,5.296,0
                      ACTL/0,-43.3,0,0,0.9996622,-0.0259912,5.296,0
                      TARG/0,-43.3,0,0,0.9996622,-0.0259912

STUD =AUTO/CIRCLE,SHOWALLPARAMS = NO,SHOWHITS = NO
                      TARG/RST.X,RST.Y,RST.Z,0,0.9996622,-0.0259912
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warcholyk View Post
                        matfurtaw,

Here is another example that you could try. First measure the stud with 3 hits on the od. Use a larger prehit / retract etc., you could also use the read position. Call this circle "RST" (relative stud).
                        Next measure the same stud, "targeting" the "relative stud" and this should work out fine for you.

I've used this many times in the plastic industry for features that tend to "move around".

See below for an example. I hope that this works for you.

Blessings,
                        ZydecoPete

RST =AUTO/CIRCLE,SHOWALLPARAMS = NO,SHOWHITS = NO
                        TARG/0,-43.3,0,0,0.9996622,-0.0259912

STUD =AUTO/CIRCLE,SHOWALLPARAMS = NO,SHOWHITS = NO
                        TARG/RST.X,RST.Y,RST.Z,0,0.9996622,-0.0259912
                        That's exactly where I was heading. I just didn't have time to spell it out. Aren't plastic parts fun ? ? ?
                        sigpic
                        PCDMIS 2012
                        Windows Office XP

Comment

Thanks for your help. The funny thing is that before both of you posted I figured that out on my own. And it seems to work great !
                          Thanks for all of your input.
                          DEA MISTRAL
                          PC DMIS CAD++
                          Version 2013
                          Windows 7 64bit
                          DataPage+ 2011 MR1

Comment