CAD Trasnform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAD Trasnform

All right here are two applications of the CAD Transform function to give the "non-4heads" a glimpse at the new doo-dads available.

I used this option yesterday to import my new cad model into a program that used cad(this was strictly an alignment program, see the second application of cad transform for further clarification), but the cad model had a different orientation for its' axis' than the original cad model. So within the CAD Transform function I was able to rotate the trihedron such that it mimiced what was already present in the program, thus saving me many fits of rage trying to change my iterative alignments to work with this new cads' trihdral orientation. I could have made a new alignment program but this method only took me about 20 seconds and I was done.

The second way I used this option was actually with the same part, except that the program (very large, covered the entire ejector side of a twin cylinder crankcase), I was working with originally did not have cad. The program was created over 4 years ago (when we didn't have CAD for this part), and as such was measured strictly via learned measurements ie touch off for all auto-features, learned features, etc etc. As the program was so old, you could probably figure that many changes have been made within those 4 years. Well, yes changes were made to the part, but we didn't want to rewrite the program if we didn't have to. I am sure most of you know how time consuming it is to troubleshoot a large program that doesn't have cad. Well what I decided to do was pull in the CAD model, reorient the trihedron to sit the way the part was set up and then introduce an iterative alignment to take the place of the manual alignment. I can't tell you how easy it has been to troubleshoot this program now that I have a visible representation of the part matched up to my measured data, and any changes that I have to make can reference the model now!!!

Well that's all I wanted to tell you guys so see ya later have a good weekend and if you have any questions let know.
    sigpic

James Mannes

Wow. You sure got a pretty mouth!

Seriously, that sounds very cool.

Was that with 4.1 or 4.2??

Comment

4.2, but it should be available in 4.1 also. Yeah this feature will save me some serious time with older parts that now have had modles provided to the layout group.
      sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

James, after bringing the cad into the old program can you use 'find nominals' setting to refresh the program?

Thomas

Comment

I don't think I would want/need to "find nominals" for already measured items (doesn't work that great). Besides, the changes that took place to tyhis part vs an older part is additions and/or subtractions of features. For the additions I can use nominals during the learning period (choosing features on-screen). On a case by case basis I have opened a feature and picked off the screen to get a better x,y,z value.
          sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

JamesMannes is correct. 4.1 has the ability to transform the origin of your cad model. This is a handy option that I don't think you could do in 3.7.

Brian

Comment