CAD Origins????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAD Origins????

I know this has been asked but I can not find where.
    I have a model that I am importing so I can program off it. When I import it, I set my X,Y,Z to the way the part is sitting on my table through the preferance settings. That works good.
    I then do a manual alignment off the part. That works good.
    I then do a DCC alignment off the part. I let the machine run this part of the program and start programming from there. This all works good.
    The question I have is this:
    If I go to the drop down View menu and select CAD Info, and pick a point on the model, it gives me some huge numbers in the X,Y,and Z.
    How would I set it so if I pick the same point it would read what the blueprint would show.
    For example- a point is at X-2.000, Y-3.500 Z-.0000 on the print. When I select view CAD Info it shows as X-250.000 Y-325.000, Z-150.000.
    Any help would be apriceated.
    Thanks

3.5MR2
    B. Jacobs
    B&S Global 12.15.10

cad origin question

Did you do a cad=part?
    sigpic
    "You cant vote 'present' as the President of the United States"

Comment

I norder for your CAD data to mathc a print, lets say your cad is CAR position, so your origin hole is at X500, Y-1250, Z1750, but you want ti at x0y0z0 to match your print, you will ahve to have your cad department move the cad data into print position. I think they added some monkey-solution to V4.0+ to let you move it yourself, but why do you even want to move it? Just program in cad position, all your nominals come off the cad anyway, so why waste time moving the cad data?
      sigpic
      Originally posted by AndersI
      I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Boomer View Post
        Did you do a cad=part?
        Itried this but I am not haveing any luck. I don't think I am doing it right.
        B. Jacobs
        B&S Global 12.15.10

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
          I norder for your CAD data to mathc a print, lets say your cad is CAR position, so your origin hole is at X500, Y-1250, Z1750, but you want ti at x0y0z0 to match your print, you will ahve to have your cad department move the cad data into print position. I think they added some monkey-solution to V4.0+ to let you move it yourself, but why do you even want to move it? Just program in cad position, all your nominals come off the cad anyway, so why waste time moving the cad data?
          I am programing the CAD but the print we have has some weird translations of the DATUMS. This make the CAD measure differently than what the print says. I was thinking if I could get the Origin of the CAD to match the part I could just view what the location of the points would be then use those for the measurments.
          B. Jacobs
          B&S Global 12.15.10

Comment

Originally posted by B. Jacobs View Post
            I am programing the CAD but the print we have has some weird translations of the DATUMS. This make the CAD measure differently than what the print says. I was thinking if I could get the Origin of the CAD to match the part I could just view what the location of the points would be then use those for the measurments.
            What you need to do is figure out the correct translation and rotation to make a new alignment to match your blueprint. Don't be alarmed if it takes you several hours. Sometimes I seen such weird bolshevik that it has taken a day or more and a couple of joints to figure out where the print stuff is coming from. But, that is part of the job and it needs to be done. And, when someone asks why it is taking so long, as them this,"Do you want it done? Or do you want it done correctly?".
            sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post
              What you need to do is figure out the correct translation and rotation to make a new alignment to match your blueprint. Don't be alarmed if it takes you several hours. Sometimes I seen such weird bolshevik that it has taken a day or more and a couple of joints to figure out where the print stuff is coming from. But, that is part of the job and it needs to be done. And, when someone asks why it is taking so long, as them this,"Do you want it done? Or do you want it done correctly?".
              I have done this. I worked on it for a week. We finally asked the customer what the is ment by the print dimesions and the reply was "After our GD&T gurus looked at the print, it is determined that the part was not intended to be built or measured using 2-D deminsensions. Therefore the model takes president."
              The way we understand this is that we are to go off what the model is.
              B. Jacobs
              B&S Global 12.15.10

Comment

Originally posted by Boomer View Post
                Did you do a cad=part?
                It has nothing to do with cad=part. Like Matt says the cad is on Car position.

If you really need to relocate the XYZ use the "Make cad 3D" function.

Roberto.
                It's corona time.
                sigpicIt's corona time!
                737 Xcel Cad++ v2009MR1....SE HABLA ESPAƑOL

Comment

If the CAD is MASTER you don't need to do ANYTHING. Leave it alone and report the CAR position numbers. Use the print for tolerencing only. If you go back to print dimensions, then you're saying that the print is MASTER and that is not the case as you've stated. Use the CAD numbers.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Roberto View Post
                    It has nothing to do with cad=part. Like Matt says the cad is on Car position.

If you really need to relocate the XYZ use the "Make cad 3D" function.
                    How would I do this. I am willing to try almost anything right now.
                    B. Jacobs
                    B&S Global 12.15.10

Comment

If you are willing to try anything, you could always install v4.1, import your CAD model into a new program, Tranform the CAD origin to where you want it as shown on your Drawing. Then save the program version down to v3.5 so you wont have to relearn/debug everything to program in v4.1.

Otherwise I think you are stuck programming at least your alignment features in Car Coodinates. Once your have your drawing alignment created you should be getting the same results anyway.
                      Mr. Comment
                      SCIROCCO-NT 13-20-10
                      B3C-LC Controller (Leitz Protocol), SP600M, TP200
                      PCDMIS CAD++ v4.3 MR1(Build: 12/11/08)
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MrComment View Post
                        If you are willing to try anything, you could always install v4.1, import your CAD model into a new program, Tranform the CAD origin to where you want it as shown on your Drawing. Then save the program version down to v3.5 so you wont have to relearn/debug everything to program in v4.1.

Otherwise I think you are stuck programming at least your alignment features in Car Coodinates. Once your have your drawing alignment created you should be getting the same results anyway.
                        Very good MRCOMMENT!!!
                        I didn't think of that one.
                        On the same line though I did use the CAD TRANSFORM option in 4.1/4.2 to change my trihedron direction today. My old model had the trihedron sitting with +Y facing up(+Z), my new CAD model that I just got today has the trihedron sitting correctly(X,Y,Z,) match my table and part setup). I use iterative alignments and in order to get this program to work I would have had to recreate the alignment and cut/paste code to get this to all jive together. But, with the CAD TRANSFORM option it was a one click operation and instead of possibly taking a 1/2 or longer I did the same thing in 10 seconds. Kudos to the WILCOX team!!!
                        sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

I know this has been asked but I can not find where.
                          I have a model that I am importing so I can program off it. When I import it, I set my X,Y,Z to the way the part is sitting on my table through the preferance settings. That works good.
                          I then do a manual alignment off the part. That works good.
                          I then do a DCC alignment off the part. I let the machine run this part of the program and start programming from there. This all works good.
                          The question I have is this:
                          If I go to the drop down View menu and select CAD Info, and pick a point on the model, it gives me some huge numbers in the X,Y,and Z.
                          How would I set it so if I pick the same point it would read what the blueprint would show.
                          For example- a point is at X-2.000, Y-3.500 Z-.0000 on the print. When I select view CAD Info it shows as X-250.000 Y-325.000, Z-150.000.
                          Any help would be apriceated.
                          Thanks

3.5MR2

I'm thinking that first, you need to align your part exactly as the model is aligned by using program mode. (F4) Set your manual alignment. CAD=Part is not necessary if u are in Program Mode. After the manual alignment, I would go back and execute this part of the program. Except this time, your actually taking hits on the part. After finishing that, see what your dimensions look like. It also souds like the units used on the model, could possibly be in Metric. Perhaps you should check with the engineer on this. Hope this helps!

Josh
                          ~Josh~ Giles Rescue "Ut ceteri vivant"

Comment

I agree, CAD transformation tools was a much welcomed addition for me. I still thick they they can be a little quirky at times (esp if trying to save or use multiple coodinate systems), but If your just trying to do a simple translation or rotation, with a little trial and error you can get good results.
                            Mr. Comment
                            SCIROCCO-NT 13-20-10
                            B3C-LC Controller (Leitz Protocol), SP600M, TP200
                            PCDMIS CAD++ v4.3 MR1(Build: 12/11/08)
                            sigpic

Comment

I have done this. I worked on it for a week. We finally asked the customer what the is ment by the print dimesions and the reply was "After our GD&T gurus looked at the print, it is determined that the part was not intended to be built or measured using 2-D deminsensions. Therefore the model takes president." The way we understand this is that we are to go off what the model is.
                              Again, your customer said CAD is master. Program directly from the model and do NOT use the print for anything except tolerencing. Do not move your origin or alter the CAD in any way or you have altered the MASTER. It is in CAR position in Metric as 99.999999% of all automotive CAD models are these days.

You are aligned as you should be, simply measure the part as you have it aligned right now.

Bill

Comment