Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extensions

Hi every body,

I have attached a picture of my Probe box, I have 3 Black extension in that, When I looked at Renishaw "Styli & accessories" I found there are 3 different kind of extensions that they all look like my black extensions but the Materials are Different.

First question: How do you call them in probe window? for small one I used " Exten50-13-CF, its lenght is 50 and Dia is 13, am I right?

Second question: for Longer Extensions, they are 18 at one end and 13 at the other end, and both Exten100-18 and Exten100-13 are available in Probe Utility window, which one should be sellected?

#3Q: at the end of these extension names, in my PC-DMIS there is an " CF" that I beleive that is referiing to its material" Carbon Fibre", but these black ones should be Aluminium made, should we use "CF" for all of them? ( actually there is no more option for other materailas)

Thank you very much for your comments in advance.
    Attached Files

A few thoughts: There are two kinds of extensions. Those like shown in your pic that go between the probe and the head and those that go between the probe and the tip, (ruby). The second kind come in multiple flavors such as steel, ceramic, & carbon fiber. For my files I have names like 2x40 and 2x90+50. 2x40 would be a 2mm ball with 40mm of extension between probe and ruby. the 2x90+50 would be 2mm ball with 90mm of extension between probe and ruby AND 50 mm of extension between head and probe. I do not list shank diameters in probe descriptions because many of my tip builds have multiple shank diameters. HTH

All of that said you go super secret and give them names like Harriet, Melvin, Winifried, and Nathaniel ensuring no one but you would know what you were talking about just from the name.
    sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Cisco View Post
      A few thoughts: There are two kinds of extensions. Those like shown in your pic that go between the probe and the head and those that go between the probe and the tip, (ruby). The second kind come in multiple flavors such as steel, ceramic, & carbon fiber. For my files I have names like 2x40 and 2x90+50. 2x40 would be a 2mm ball with 40mm of extension between probe and ruby. the 2x90+50 would be 2mm ball with 90mm of extension between probe and ruby AND 50 mm of extension between head and probe. I do not list shank diameters in probe descriptions because many of my tip builds have multiple shank diameters. HTH

All of that said you go super secret and give them names like Harriet, Melvin, Winifried, and Nathaniel ensuring no one but you would know what you were talking about just from the name.
      Yes, I ment those ones that sit between TP and PH, what do you call these 3 Ext. in my picture in you probe setup.

Thank you

Comment

I call mine Hermie. Started back in high school playing video games at an arcade during exams. Didn't have to be at school if you didn't have an exam at that time. LOTS of quarters dumped into ZAXXON.
        When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
        sigpic

Comment

Wes, I name mine the same way but it means something a little different. In an example of 2X20+30... Mine would mean a 2mm tip dia. and the 20 would be the length of the shaft connected to the tip. Then, 30 would be the length of the extension. In some cases, it wouldn't matter as long as the tip diameter and overall length are correct. For example, 2X30+20 might work just as well (20+30=50 and 30+20=50). However, especially with small tip diameters, it is conceivable that if I specified the 2X30 tip and the 2X20 was used instead that the 2x20 could shank on some hits because of the shape of the shank. Of course, the operator would spot this and stop the program and take appropriate steps

Comment

The names of those extensions in the Probe Utilities windows are...
            EXTEN50
            EXTEN100
            EXTEN200
            sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

I had a set of those extensions at my last shop. The work great for their purpose, but watch out when you rotate the PH. It'll knock stuff over like a wagging dog tail.
              sigpic Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, but rather a skid in broadside, totally worn, proclaiming WOW What a ride!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Gardner View Post
                I had a set of those extensions at my last shop. The work great for their purpose, but watch out when you rotate the PH. It'll knock stuff over like a wagging dog tail.
                We use them all the time. We also have a 250mm extension, which reminds me of the time about 10 years ago when a B&S tech. was here do some programming for us. Using one of the long extensions he smacked the bridge of the machine during rotation which knocked the entire PH10MQ off of the AM2and on to the bed of the machine. That was about a $25,000 ooops. I think they cost even more now...
                sigpic
                Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
                PCDMIS 2012
                Windows Office XP

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post
                  EXTEN50
                  EXTEN100
                  EXTEN200
                  Thank you James, That is what I am lookiing for

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post
                    EXTEN50
                    EXTEN100
                    EXTEN200

Just one more thing James, What about the diameter for those Big Exten. ones? the sizes are different on sides of one extension,one head is 18 and one head is 13 , I select Exten50-13 or Exten50-18?

Comment

Originally posted by TigerShark View Post
                      Just one more thing James, What about the diameter for those Big Exten. ones? the sizes are different on sides of one extension,one head is 18 and one head is 13 , I select Exten50-13 or Exten50-18?
                      I have those same extensions and I use the extension that is named as I wrote them, EXTEN50,100, and 200. The diameter of the extension is not of concern (unless you offline program using crash detection but even that may not save you from a crash on the diameter stuff).
                      sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

TigerShark, Here is what it looks like in the probe utilities window. Just add what James said before your probe body type. Hope this helps.
                        Attached Files
                        Dale
                        v2011 MR1 CAD ++

Comment

Originally posted by WScmm View Post
                          TigerShark, Here is what it looks like in the probe utilities window. Just add what James said before your probe body type. Hope this helps.
                          WScmm and James, Just say thank you for helps, sorry for being late but I appreciate it , you gave me the Idea

Comment

Pel

We use "PEL"

100PEL_40_3
                            NOPEL_40_3
                            DR Watson shut me down again !!!! :mad: Smoke break:eek:

Comment