PC-Dmis and the network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC-Dmis and the network

We currently have PC-Dmis MR2 installed to a networked PC. All files used by this software are on this computer. We want to have some of the data files stored on our server so they can be backed up. Is it possible to do this and which files should be set up this way. Thanks for any help any of you have.

Your IT dept should be able to pull those files FROM the pc without you putting them on the server. IF they can't, then they are pretty lame. I put NOTHING on the network, everything is on the PC attached to the CMM and my files (ALL OF THEM) are backed up nightly. There can be problems with YOU putting file on the server and accessing them from there, it has been a bug-a-boo with Pcdmis in the past, I am sure it will be again (if it isn't right now).
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I store backups on the network here, but run everything from my PC. For the exact reasons Matt describes.
      When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
      sigpic

Comment

I keep everything on the hard drive too. We are however, looking to start dumping RTFs to a network folder for extra large reports so we don't kill too many trees. When we print all of the printouts get put into the job folders and they can mighty thick at times.
        Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
        Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by dwade View Post
          I keep everything on the hard drive too. We are however, looking to start dumping RTFs to a network folder for extra large reports so we don't kill too many trees. When we print all of the printouts get put into the job folders and they can mighty thick at times.
          I am fortunate, I do NOT have to print out all those pesky RTF files. In fact, I usually only have to print out a maximum of 3 pages of 'report', and it is a picture-plot of the part with how it checked on it (from Excel). I just store the RTF files, then when the job is done, they get burned to DVD and removed from the drive. We don't do production, so I don't have to keep running records or any of that stuff. Done and gone.
          sigpic
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

We run 24/7 with 12hr shifts. Our CMMs run constantly which leave very little windows of opportunity for me to get in nowadays. I just kick them off anyway because of priorities. I have to store backups of every day measurements in PDF (smaller sizes). Of course you have to deal with the max index of 9999.

I backup all programs and files weekly on Fridays. Everything however runs off the harddrive. The IT dept. wanted programs stored on the network drive so we can run them off of there. They tried to tell me that the network drives were more stable & safer than the harddrive. A week after that conversation the network went down and if I had put them on the network, the CMMs would of basically been useless.
            I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
            PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
            PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Underspec View Post
              A week after that conversation the network went down and if I had put them on the network, the CMMs would of basically been useless.
              Right. Mine are all on the C: drive of the computer and get backed up to the network. I was told to do this by my trainer as running a program stored on the network can cause trouble.

Also, our network has been unstable lately. When it goes down, the computer freezes. My solution - pull the network plug from the wall, re-start and run. That wouldn't be possible if the programs were stored on the network.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                Your IT dept should be able to pull those files FROM the pc without you putting them on the server. IF they can't, then they are pretty lame.

You summed it all up for me. Our I.T. department is VERY LAME. I have to remember to back up each program manually immediately after finishing the job. What a pain that is...
                sigpic
                Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
                PCDMIS 2012
                Windows Office XP

Comment

Originally posted by John Kingston View Post
                  I store backups on the network here, but run everything from my PC. For the exact reasons Matt describes.
                  DITTO HERE . . .
                  sigpic
                  Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
                  PCDMIS 2012
                  Windows Office XP

Comment

Originally posted by rangerboat72 View Post
                    You summed it all up for me. Our I.T. department is VERY LAME. I have to remember to back up each program manually immediately after finishing the job. What a pain that is...
                    Yeah, that sounds like fun (NOT!). How freaking lame they must be to NOT be able to pull data from a computer on the network. Sounds like that is what they want to require YOU to do, but yet, they can't do it themselves. Tell them to get their heads out of their rump and do their freaking job.
                    sigpic

Comment

We are running 4.1 and have had success saving both our programs and probe files on the network server for all of our machines.

Comment

max.index 999999

Originally posted by Underspec View Post
                        Of course you have to deal with the max index of 9999.

You may increase the max. index to 999999 . pls check the pic.

HTH
                        Saliha
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic
                        Either seem as you are or be as you seem.M.J.Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by BERDMAN View Post
                          We currently have PC-Dmis MR2 installed to a networked PC. All files used by this software are on this computer. We want to have some of the data files stored on our server so they can be backed up. Is it possible to do this and which files should be set up this way. Thanks for any help any of you have.
                          2 things:
                          1: Never ever save from your program DIRECTLY to the network. This will lead to disaster. The problem is that you will find that your network is more down than up. And if the network is not up, when PC-DMIS wants to store, tough luck! You run again! I have lived through this one.

Store all information on the PC-running the CMM. If your lame IT department does not want to deal with your PC, write yourself a .BAT file that you execute ones a day. This copies all latest results and other stuff (like programs) to some directory on the server.

2: Be aware that using Remote login, people can access your PC hen it is hooked up to the network. The they can mess around with it. It has happened to me (by our IT department). I had to isolate my PC from the network through a firewall/hub to make sure that my PC does not get unintentionally accessed (and stopped) during my runs.
                          PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
                          Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

Cmm & network

I have all programs that can be ran by all CMM (3) on the network PC-Dmis 37 mr 2.
                            Data page is saved to C drive on all.
                            only one computer has master data page data base.
                            from all other CMM's
                            dump file created moved to network.
                            dump file loaded into master database.
                            then master data base is backed up to network.

Probe files are on the hard drives.

I have 1 CMM that also has PC-dmis 37 mr 2, 37 mr 3, 4.0 and 4.1.
                            Programs are filed under version #'s with probe file on the C drive.
                            This way I will not corrupt the probe files.

I calibrate in 37 mr 2 then copy it to all other versions.
                            2014 SP5, DataPage + v5.0 #331
                            [testing v2015.1]

Comment

I am new to PCDMIS, heck to CMM all together. I am waiting for my machine to get all hooked up. And start figuring it out. But for the people that are doing back-ups manually hopefully this might help.

I have written a batch file to do the opposite, pulling the files from the server to my hard drive every night. I ran into a problem with my servers going down and no way for me to work on mfg files for my cnc machines.

You will need to change the variables to match up to your drives and it should work. Hope it helps for people doing it manually. If any questions let me know. And you can also set it up to automatically run at a certain time in the day like at the end of the day. The computer and the server have to be on thou to do that.

@ECHO OFF
                              :: Copy all programs and mfg files
                              :: from S1CNC_Master to local harddrive

:SETUP
                              :: Set used variables
                              SET MMILL=G:\Master_Mill
                              SET MLATHE=G:\Master_Lathe
                              SET MILL=C:\S1CNC_Master_Back-up\Master_Mill
                              SET LATHE=C:\S1CNC_Master_Back-up\Master_Lathe
                              SET LOG=C:\S1CNC_Master_Back-up\Time_Stamp.txt

:ERASE
                              :: Erase both Master_Mill & Master_Lathe Back-up files
                              :: So only new and current files will be backed up
                              ECHO. DELETING Back-Up Master_Lathe
                              rmdir %LATHE% /s /q
                              ECHO. DELETING Back-Up Master_Mill
                              rmdir %MILL% /s /q

:BACKUP
                              :: Copy both Master Mill & Lathe to harddrive
                              xcopy %MLATHE% %LATHE% /d /s /y /i
                              xcopy %MMILL% %MILL% /d /s /y /i

:JOBDONE
                              ECHO.BACK-UP COMPLETE>%LOG%
                              date /T>>%LOG%
                              time /T>>%LOG%

:CLEANUP
                              SET MMILL=
                              SET MLATHE=
                              SET MILL=
                              SET LATHE=
                              SET LOG=

:EOF (end-of-file)
                              Starrett 4040-24
                              Renishaw PH10M head
                              Renishaw TP200
                              PC-DMIS CAD++ 4.2!!! crashed my probe into the table
                              Moving on to 4.2mr1

Comment