File Header

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Header

Same question as in the old forum, does somebody have resolved this issue?...

3.5 MR2
    My edit window begins with...

Part Name :
    Rev Number :
    Ser Number :
    Stats Count :

Boss would like it to read...

AMC Job# :
    Part Number :
    Part Name :
    Serial# :

For the life of me I can't find a way to edit it.

Uh... Help???

Thanks for your help, answers, comments!
    Global S Blue 12.15.10 HH-AS-T2.5 / HP-S-X1h |PC-DMIS CAD++|Quindos7 CAD; Leitz Reference Xi 15.9.7

You can edit the LOGO.DAT file, even place a copy of it in each part directory to make them custom, but you can NOT get rid of the B&S garbage portion of the report except by editing it out of each report (RTF file) by hand. If you send it straight to the printer, then you are out of luck.

When you edit the LOGO.DAT file, there are MANY different 'variable' labels that can be included.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I have a standard print header that I use that is comprised of INPUT comments within the program. I never print directly to the printer because of this crud. I always save the RTF and edit their junk out and leave my own data as the header. As Matt said, you can add your own but you can't dump their junk.

Bill

Comment

Bosses sure do love reports don't they? Kind of supports my theory on B&S's move into reporting that they have taken in 4+ versions. I swear you can sell an entire machine by showing management the fancy pants reports.

You might be stuck. You could add report comments that have this info but like Matt said I do not believe you can edit that particular header info.
        <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

Note, all I say below I know works in 3.7MR3 other versions may work differently.

I do believe that you can get that stuff to not print by "fooling" the software. You will have to put your version of stuff in using report comments before starting your dimensioning.

Then, when you want to run a program, instead of going file-execute or clicking on the execute button or whatever, you have to place your cursor in your first manual feature. Then do an execute from cursor (file-partial execution-execute from cursor) (ctrl+U on my machine). Or, you could put a start point at this first feature and use the execute from start point command.

Doing this will cause that junk at the beginning to not print. Your logo won't print either btw so you will need to add that in somewhere after your start point too.

Comment

Many thanks for your responses, I will try the input comment option and keep editing the rtf´s.
            Global S Blue 12.15.10 HH-AS-T2.5 / HP-S-X1h |PC-DMIS CAD++|Quindos7 CAD; Leitz Reference Xi 15.9.7

Comment

I have been actively trying to do this using V4.1. No luck there either. However, I was led to believe that I may have more luck in V4.2. We'll see soon I guess.

Jan.
              PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
              Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by jleond View Post

3.5 MR2

Part Name :
                Rev Number :
                Ser Number :
                Stats Count :

AMC Job# :
                Part Number :
                Part Name :
                Serial# :

Uh... Help???

I have discovered how to get this stuff out of the report:

If you go to
                EDIT
                PREFERENCES
                EDIT WINDOW COLORS
                at the bottom of the list you will see "Header"

Click on the "Marked" Edit box and choose white.

Now your :

Part Name :
                Rev Number :
                Ser Number :
                Stats Count :

Is invisible.
                Lately, it occurs to me
                What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

You can also use a print command (overwrite to a junk file and it wont clutter your drive) right at the start of the program and it will print that, and then start putting new info at the top of the report.

It's a workaround like the post above, but either method works.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan d. View Post
                    I have been actively trying to do this using V4.1. No luck there either. However, I was led to believe that I may have more luck in V4.2. We'll see soon I guess.

Jan.
                    Jan, in 4.0+ you should be able to configure a report template to display as much or as little information as you want--unless I'm not understanding the problem correctly.
                    Jared Hess - Techwriter @ WAI
                    [View 2008 Reporting Tutorials Here]

Comment

Originally posted by JaredHess View Post
                      Jan, in 4.0+ you should be able to configure a report template to display as much or as little information as you want--unless I'm not understanding the problem correctly.
                      Jared you understand the problem fine.....what you don't understand is that in 4.x it is not easily done. Either for the 3.x experienced or for the newbies like myself.

Trying to edit the templates that are included with 4.x is a jigsaw puzzle and the instructions are nearly non-existent. Compounded by the fact that we users are trying to get parts through QC as fast (but not fast enough) as our bosses want. There is usually no time to "play" with background template edits.

There are a few changes I'ld love to make, like having the part number display more charactors, add a operation # and more, but have no time for such items.

I realize that the templates are more powerful than the previous reporting, but they are not simple to edit.

thanks
                      bob
                      Which one gets ridden today? MPH vs MPG..tough choice, both are FUN
                      sigpic

Starrett RGDC 4028-24 :alien:
                      Demon vintages 3.7, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 2009

Comment

I hear you, Bob. I understand that the design has some complexity to it, and that things could be improved upon. But, at least the ability to get customized reports is available. And every version brings improvements in this area.

Since I had a hand in the Reporting chapter documentation, I want it to be useable and understandable. In the help file, I put in some tutorials with software videos that walk users through the process of creating templates, defining rules, and so forth--mainly to familiarize users with how the new system works. If there is something you (or anyone else) would like to see better explained, please PM me, and I would be happy to improve the documentation as best I can.

Additionally, to get the most out of template reporting, I would recommend taking a training course that covers reporting.

Back to Jan's comment and my reply. I believe I understand what Jan is referring to: the inability to get comment inputs (ie variables/tracefields etc) from the program into the report's header. In v4.2 this will be possible.
                        Jared Hess - Techwriter @ WAI
                        [View 2008 Reporting Tutorials Here]

Comment

Originally posted by JaredHess View Post
                          Back to Jan's comment and my reply. I believe I understand what Jan is referring to: the inability to get comment inputs (ie variables/tracefields etc) from the program into the report's header. In v4.2 this will be possible.
                          Yes, I would like to include variables in the header. That solves the problem of having to do it through comment lines, which I thought to be less elegant.

I wrote a SCRIPT (and posted under code samples) that will refresh the report window, even though the program has already been started (meaning: the header has been generated). So now I can run my program, generate a new serial number (and part number or anything else that is in the header), refresh, and voila, the report now reflects my latest serial information. I use it now all the time.

I found that customizing the header led to all kinds of small bugs in the reporting part of V4.1. Knowing that V4.2 improves on this significantly, I decided to give up on V4.1 and just wait on V4.2. Still waiting.

Jan.
                          PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
                          Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by jleond View Post

3.5 MR2

Part Name :
                            Rev Number :
                            Ser Number :
                            Stats Count :

AMC Job# :
                            Part Number :
                            Part Name :
                            Serial# :

Uh... Help???

I think this is unchangeable for datapage purposes.
                            sigpicIt's corona time!
                            737 Xcel Cad++ v2009MR1....SE HABLA ESPAÑOL

Comment

Hello CMM Dudes,

V4.2 is the way to go. It should give you what you want. Follow the powerpoint presentation on reporting, and do the tutorials in the help file. It should take you a four hour session to do this. If that is what your boss wants, tell him what it takes.

HEY B & S!
                              I think that an AS9102 compliant report could be generated from Pc-Dmis, help us out and build the form and template for us!!!

-G
                              sigpic

Comment