2 Iterative Alignments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Iterative Alignments

The part I have, requires in iterative alignment. My problem is, I have to turn it over to check the other side. Is there a way to put 2 iterative alignments in one program. If so, does anyone have any examples of this.

Thanks
    Drako28
    PCDMIS CAD++ v4.2mr1
    PCDMIS Pro v4.1

drako,

I've had many different iterative alignments in a part program.
    Once you've finished the required measurements on the "first" side of your part. You could turn your part around, pick up the required datum features, then continue with your iterative alignment.

Perhaps you could do one of the following as well;

i) fixture the part so that you can access all the required features from both sides of the part with one set-up.

ii) if the above is not possible, you may want to write two separate programs, one for side "A" then second program for side "B".

Hope that this is of some assistance to you.

Blessings,
    ZydecoPete
    sigpic

Comment

Kinda think, I'm confussed by what your saying? Here's what I would like to do.

1) do an iterative alignment
      2) measure all dims that are need for that side
      3) turn part over
      4) make a new iterative alignment
      5) measure all dims that are needed for that side.

Cant really get a fixture made. Would like to be able to get this done in the same program. I was told when I went for training that you can do it. I forgot to bring my cad model for him to look at.
      PCDMIS CAD++ v4.2mr1
      PCDMIS Pro v4.1

Comment

Drako,

You're on the right track. Yes you can do as you stated.

Typically, I'm using various components from a Rayco fixturing system to hold my parts.

What I try to do, is to hold the parts in such a way that I can access the required features to be measured, from one set-up.

ZydecoPete
        sigpic

Comment

You will just need to explain in detail what you are doing so if someone new runs the program. Pics & details.
          sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

bw bob,

Well put!!

I incorporate instructions and photos of set ups in all programs, to make it easier for the next person.

ZydecoPete
            sigpic

Comment

I would not do it the way drako28 wants to do it. I would create 2 programs.
              I find it easier & less confusing for the monkeys.
              sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

1) do an iterative alignment
                2) measure all dims that are need for that side
                3) turn part over
                4) make a new iterative alignment
                5) measure all dims that are needed for that side.

Cant really get a fixture made. Would like to be able to get this done in the same program. I was told when I went for training that you can do it. I forgot to bring my cad model for him to look at.

I understand about making setup instructions and providing pictures for setup ref. I do that once everthing is done.

My part just sits on the table nothing fancy. It's like a wheel and has 3 datum lug locations, around the outside. I know how to make an iterative alignment for the top side. Just when I turn the part over, and make a new iterative alignment for the bottom side, using the same datum lugs. How do you add the second iterative alignment to the program and get it to work right.
                PCDMIS CAD++ v4.2mr1
                PCDMIS Pro v4.1

Comment

I think what you are going to have to do is either create a fixture so that when you flip it it ends up in a known location or, go back to manual mode and do another manual alignment.

Sounds like you have these three "datum lugs". If you want features on both sides to be dimensioned relative to these lugs, they have to be accessable with the part sitting either way.

Comment

drako,

Sorry, perhaps we are not quite understanding your question.

At step 3 from your note above. You would add a note to turn the part over, then manually measure the features you require for your alignment.

Insert alignment (iterative), then next switch back to dcc mode, measure your alignment features in dcc mode.

Now construct a new dcc alignment (iterative) and you're good to go.

I'm not clear as to why you would not be able to "get it to work right"?

Hope this helps you.

Regards,
                    ZydecoPete
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bw_bob View Post
                      I would not do it the way drako28 wants to do it. I would create 2 programs.
                      I find it easier & less confusing for the monkeys.

My monkeys have a harder time opening and closing programs, than following 2 alignments in 1 program. but I think writing 2 programs is quicker and easier.
                      sigpic

B&S Global 544
                      Using 3.7mr3

Peace
                      Greg

Nothin left ta dew but :) :) :) !

Comment

It should be possible to switch to from dcc to manual, pick up the lugs, go straight back into dcc again If you wanted to you could change the alignment recall on the second iterative alignment to startup if you wanted to avoid one following the other.

Comment