Easy PC-DMIS CAD question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy PC-DMIS CAD question

We have two online PC-DMIS Pro seats and one PC-DMIS CAD offline, so we ('I') don't do a whole lot of offline CAD programming. Anyway, I'm working on this gear housing and I just need to flip the part over with respect to the machine coordinates to check the backside, how do I do that? 3.7 MR2

Thanks,
    Jim

open the 'view setup' dialog box and click the drop down and change the view to (ex. -Z) or what ever makes sense to how the model is oriented.

EDIT: i missunderstood the question - i thought you just wanted to flip your view.
    Last edited by \v/inston; 04-06-2006, 12:51 PM.

Comment

This method seems to change the machine coordinates for the entire program? I wish to flip the part over mid-program, is there a way to do that, or do I need to make a 2nd program for the other side of the part?

Thanks,
      Jim

Comment

There is a function call EQUATE ALIGNMENT which will let you do that, however, I do NOT like it and personally I would make a new program for the back side. The other option would be to change the way you have it set up so you can reach the bottom as well, possibly lay it on it's side.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by AndersI
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Care to explain what you don't like about 'Equate Alignment'? Laying it on it's side is out of the question, the part is too deep to get in from the side, it has to be done in two different orientations. Will make a 2nd program as a last resort.

Thanks,
          Jim

Comment

The EQUATE worked VERY WELL in the old DOS version and I think it worked well in the first Windows version of Pcdmis. Then, with one of the 'improvements' it stoped working as it used to, so I stopped using it. Now, I may not know everything about Pcdmis, but I am fairly knowledgable, but in the few times I tried it since it was 'improved', it didn't work up to the standard it used to and with the time constraints these days, it was quicker to just make a second program instead of trying to figure out HOW they improved it. It will not take any longer to do since you have to measure a new alignment anyway and the ONLY draw-back to using a second program is the fact that you will have 2 reports per part instead of one as well as 2 transactions in the stats. They may have fixed this problem in a subsequent release, but I have not bothered to try to find out. I need this function so rarely that I just ignore it completely now.
            sigpic
            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I'm with Matt on this one. I prefer the 2 program method.
              Only time I use equate function is for fixture's (when I just need to check 1 or 2 things, and don't want to run all...)
              Kev
              RFS Means Really Fussy Stuff

When all you have is a hammer - everything looks like a nail....
              sigpic

Comment

I dont have much a problem at all using equate. But I only use it with CAD models. So at side 1 program completion:
                1) Measure and exact set of features off the CAD model that you can also measure from the other side.
                2) Align them as if the new orientation is in effect.
                3) Flip part over, measure the same features again, and align.
                4) equate the old alignment (1st) to the new (flipped).

Have fun!

-Gabriel
                sigpic

Comment

3.7 MR3 Equate Alignment works as advertised again. I've used it several times in the last couple of weeks. The problem with equate alignment in Ver 2.5 XX was that it didn't work at all.

You will need to find features that you can measure in BOTH set ups in order for this to work. There is pretty good help within PcDmis in regards to Equate Alignment.

Bill

Comment

In the original, DOS version, I could measure a plane on the top, a line on the side, and a tooling ball in the face of a fixture. Level to the plane, rotate to the line, and set the XYZ origins at the tooling ball. Then shift the fixture, measure the plane and the line and the ball, make the alignment and equate it to the first. The actual touches on the plane and the line were not the same from one alignment to the next, but had the same axis nominal and of course the ball was the same. The equate worked. Now, will this work in the 3.7MR3 version, even if the actual XYZ touches of the plane and the line are not the same from one to the other, just the 'level' portion and the 'rotate' porition are the same, if ya get my drift? OR does it need to be like an iterative alignment, each and every touch needs to have the exact same XYZ nominals from one alignment to the next? IF so, then it does not work the way it used to and is still messed up.
                    sigpic

Comment