Starrett CMMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starrett CMMs

Anybody have a Starrett CMM?? We have a fairly new one at the other facility and it wants to home everytime you boot-up PCDMIS, and get anykind of error message.
    Is this normal for these?? Is there some way to turn it off??

Thanks.

I think the PC is the controller for the CMM. The one I saw had a lot of cards in the PC. If this is the case then re-homing may be required.
    Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Sorry man!

Originally posted by John Kugler View Post
      Anybody have a Starrett CMM?? We have a fairly new one at the other facility and it wants to home everytime you boot-up PCDMIS, and get anykind of error message.
      Is this normal for these?? Is there some way to turn it off??

Thanks.
      I have 3 Starrett Machines, and yes, you have to home the machine every time you bring up PC-Dmis. Also, you would have to home if you get any type of servo errors! As far as I know, there is no way around this! Let me know if I could be of more assistance.
      ~Josh~ Giles Rescue "Ut ceteri vivant"

Comment

yep

same with mine

but its no different than a CNC when started up...have to tell it where it is before it can go somewhere else...not a big deal,,takes what? a minute to do this?
        Which one gets ridden today? MPH vs MPG..tough choice, both are FUN
        sigpic

Starrett RGDC 4028-24 :alien:
        Demon vintages 3.7, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by bob mappes View Post
          yep

same with mine

but its no different than a CNC when started up...have to tell it where it is before it can go somewhere else...not a big deal,,takes what? a minute to do this?

I think he means, if you close pc-dmis on the computer and re-open pc-dmis you have to home even if you didn't power off. Can you at least drive around with the jog box prior to homing? I know with my B&S if it is at the back left corner (home is front right) I can use the jog box to run it up close to home much quicker (movespeed around 20%) than if I just tell it to home (movespeed around 5%).

Comment

There is an OPTION in the F5 ~ WARNINGS section about homing the machine, DOES THE MACHINE NEED TO BE HOMED, maybe you need to set that to NO as teh default and not have it be shown.
            sigpic
            Originally posted by AndersI
            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Yes and No

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
              There is an OPTION in the F5 ~ WARNINGS section about homing the machine, DOES THE MACHINE NEED TO BE HOMED, maybe you need to set that to NO as teh default and not have it be shown.

Yes....You should be able to jog the machine up pretty close to the home position prior to doing it automatically. Anytime you close the software down and bring it back up, you'll have to do this. I'm not sure changing the option to "NO" is a very good idea. But, that's just me. Even when running previous software on my machines, I had to home first. It has something to do with the board in the PC. Like said from that other cat.....It's like running a CNC, you have to tell the machine where your at, before you get started.

Comment

I've never understood the need to home a cmm - If you practice good programming technique and do an alignment transferring x,y,z to a part or fixture as soon as possible, home position becomes a moot point.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
                  I've never understood the need to home a cmm - If you practice good programming technique and do an alignment transferring x,y,z to a part or fixture as soon as possible, home position becomes a moot point.
                  Yeah, me either! That one would have to be taken up with Starrett. Which no longer exists! So........

Comment

Originally posted by jkb_mcg View Post
                    Yeah, me either! That one would have to be taken up with Starrett. Which no longer exists! So........
                    Machines are "homed" to ensure the error map is properly triggered to correctly correct for geomtric errors (yaw, pitch, roll, etc), you do want to home the machine when prompted.

TK
                    sigpicHave a homebrew

Comment

Originally posted by tking View Post
                      Machines are "homed" to ensure the error map is properly triggered to correctly correct for geomtric errors (yaw, pitch, roll, etc), you do want to home the machine when prompted.

TK
                      Only required on some machines when the controller is first started up. For example, Sheffields only requiring homing when the controller is shut down and restarted. There error map is built into the controller and do not get a map from PCDMIS. You can shut down PCDMIS and restart without rehoming.

Isnt the Brown & Sharpe the same way?

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
                        Only required on some machines when the controller is first started up. For example, Sheffields only requiring homing when the controller is shut down and restarted. There error map is built into the controller and do not get a map from PCDMIS. You can shut down PCDMIS and restart without rehoming.

Isnt the Brown & Sharpe the same way?
                        Yes, my B&S behaves in this manner.

Comment

I understand the need to home when the machine is shut down and restarted.

I just don't see the need to re-home everytime you start up PC-DMIS and with every error.

???

Comment

Originally posted by John Kugler View Post
                            I understand the need to home when the machine is shut down and restarted.

I just don't see the need to re-home everytime you start up PC-DMIS and with every error.

???
                            If the PC acts as the controller (more than one cable to the pc, such as scales, etc...) then the CMM gets its map info from PCMDIS. Each time you restart PCDMIS, it does not know where the CMM is and it needs to home the CMM to find the start location. The MAP data is dependent on knowing where that home position.

Comment

Home, home on the range.....

On the DEA I run, I can shut down the computer and don't have to rehome again. But, if the controller goes off, I can't even access any DMIS functions without rehoming.
                              sigpic:eek: Bring out the comfy chair!:eek:

Comment