way off topic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• way off topic

It seems I've lost an old friend. It appears that Do-All is no longer making the Kleen surf foaming surface plate cleaner. I can't find it anywhere. I tried some liquid stuff from Starrett bit it's just not the same. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

t.
    Global Image 555
    PH10M-TP200
    PC-DMIS Cad ++
    Win7 64 bit
    V2014.1

You can use alcholol....not jack daniels though.
    sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

Try...

30% cleaning solvent (like 409) with 70% water then finish it up with denatured alcohol.
      PC-DMIS CAD++ 3.7 from 4.2 MR1

Comment

I always liked these little guys...scrubbing bubbles
        Last edited by Mike N.; 05-17-2007, 09:56 AM.
        sigpiccall me "Plum Crazy"....but you only go around once!

Comment

When cleaning the bearing ways use something that will not leave residue like denatured alcohol and lint free CLOTH. Do not use lint free paper towels. They have glue in them to hold the fibers thus lint free. The solvents in cleaners will break down the glue leaving lint and glue residue.

For the working surface it's up to you but I use the denatured on everything. Plain old waterless habd cleaner like Go-Jo without the grit will out the black in the granite after several cleanings if you have to have that nice black sheen.
          Perry
          B&S Mistral
          3.207 Beta on XP

Older'n dirt

Comment

No

Originally posted by bw_bob View Post
            You can use alcholol....not jack daniels though.

NO DON'T USE ALCHOLOL ON YOUR PLATE. IT WILL HURT IT.

Comment

Originally posted by Tested View Post
              NO DON'T USE ALCHOLOL ON YOUR PLATE. IT WILL HURT IT.
              I use it all the time. How is it going to hurt stone?

This has been mentioned before and as yet, no one has been able to answer that question. How will alcohol hurt the granite?
              sigpic
              Originally posted by AndersI
              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post

This has been mentioned before and as yet, no one has been able to answer that question. How will alcohol hurt the granite?
                i dunno. make it drunk, or something ?
                RFS Means Really Fussy Stuff

When all you have is a hammer - everything looks like a nail....
                sigpic

Comment

It will get the DT's and shake when you are trying to measure,

I also use alcholol on my cmm's plates, but use the Starrett stuff on my other plates.
                  sigpic

B&S Global 544
                  Using 3.7mr3

Peace
                  Greg

Nothin left ta dew but :) :) :) !

Comment

Alcohol

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post

A BS service tech told me that the alcohol will "dry out" the granite, becoming more brittle. He recommended the specially made surface plate cleaners.

Tim
                    sigpic
                    "You cant vote 'present' as the President of the United States"

Comment

Originally posted by Boomer View Post
                      A BS service tech told me that the alcohol will "dry out" the granite, becoming more brittle. He recommended the specially made surface plate cleaners.

Tim
                      Well, was he also selling that cleaner? I use Starret Granite cleaner, followed by alcohol to remove the 'film' that even granite cleaner will leave on teh stone. It is how this machine has been cleaned since it was made and installed here, WAY back whenever ('80 or '81) and I have seen no ill effects to the stone.
                      sigpic
                      Originally posted by AndersI
                      I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Someone else at the shop here recommended after shave ??? I guess if my surface plate develops a 5 o'clock shadow I might have to go that way. Although I believe most after shaves do contain some alcohol ...

t.
                        Global Image 555
                        PH10M-TP200
                        PC-DMIS Cad ++
                        Win7 64 bit
                        V2014.1

Comment

The guys that lap our granite plates use GoJo and water to clean them. They told me to use GoJo, or any creme waterless handcleaner, to put oil back in the granite and make them black again.
                          Perry
                          B&S Mistral
                          3.207 Beta on XP

Older'n dirt

Comment

Originally posted by dtmtim View Post
                            Someone else at the shop here recommended after shave ??? I guess if my surface plate develops a 5 o'clock shadow I might have to go that way. Although I believe most after shaves do contain some alcohol ...

t.
                            I use Brill Creame followed by a splash of Old Spice. If you can get some of the Old Spice in the bottle shapped like a Ship that stuff is the best.
                            <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

wash it

here is an old posting, never tried, let us know how it works.
                              http://www.brownandsharpe.com/anyboa...sts/14047.html

Comment