MicroVal 343 Oil Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MicroVal 343 Oil Problem

We have an excessive amount of oil on all of the axis rails. We already have 3 filters in line and they are always dry. Any suggestions? We had some one come in to calibrate the CMM and he made the statement that “the air bearings are leaking oil". To my understanding the air bearings do not contain oil when initially installed. I can understand if they have oil build up from the incoming air but not leaking due to pre-fill. We occasionally receive a Z axis error.

Originally posted by SqDqa View Post
    We have an excessive amount of oil on all of the axis rails. We already have 3 filters in line and they are always dry. Any suggestions? We had some one come in to calibrate the CMM and he made the statement that “the air bearings are leaking oil". To my understanding the air bearings do not contain oil when initially installed. I can understand if they have oil build up from the incoming air but not leaking due to pre-fill. We occasionally receive a Z axis error.
    Wow!!!

No oil should be coming in through your airlines. Instead of filters, you may want to try an air dryer and/or a membrane type filter. That and get off the main airlines if you maintainance department can't stop the oil in the air lines.
    sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Do you have an air dryer hooked up? If not, you should. Also check out your compressor - could be leaking oil and going trhough the lines.
      PC-DMIS CAD++ 3.7 from 4.2 MR1

Comment

We had a similar problem, not long ago. Placement of the filters (away from the cmm - like 6ft) and the addition of an oil seperator - all before the CMM's air filters (these should be the LAST line of defense) cured our problem. So we have {incoming} - gravity drop, air filters, oil seperator, {6ft line - branch's to our 2 CMM's air lines...} CMM filters {CMM}.
        RFS Means Really Fussy Stuff

When all you have is a hammer - everything looks like a nail....
        sigpic

Comment

You need an air dryer AND a moisture trap in your supply lines! Immediately.

Some compressors lubricate the scrolls or pistons or whatever they use with an oil mist. EVENTHOUGH your main compressor MAY have an air dryer right at the compresssor, DO NOT trust those!!!!

Just buy a simple air dryer (10SCFM ought to be enough for you) and plumb it in right before you go into the machine. You'll see the oil and water pour out!

Also, have you maintenance crew plumb in a moisture trap. I typically do that where the air enters my room. Just plumb a "dead" piece of pipe striaght down and put a ball valve at the end. Once a day, open that ball valve. Make sure that you have a bucket under it because you'll be surprised how much junk (moslty a watery oil mixture) will blow out. Just crack the line open for a few seconds and you'll be all set.

Good luck, Jan.
          PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
          Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

Thank you so much, we do not have an oil dryer. I'm writing a maintance order to have one put in ASAP.
            Thanks again

Comment

Thank you so much, we do not have an oil dryer. I'm writing a maintance order to have one put in ASAP.
              Thanks again
              It is air dryer or oil separator.
              sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Thank you for the correction. I was multi tasking.

Comment

I've always found its easier to dry the oil before filtering it........
                  sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment