Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Programming Offline For The First Time

Wise Ones...

I am a new programmer who is basically learning as I go. I have operated CMM's and now I am programming them. My compnay has sent me to the first two courses of PC-DMIS, and all is well thus far for programming on-line. However, I have a new part that will be coming into production and only have the model of it. I would like to get a jump on the part and begin writing the program offline, but haven't done it in the past. Do you recommend attending a Brown and Sharpe formal training course or just attempting to go for it with the text written in the reference manual for PC-DMIS?

You thoughts and guidance are much appreciated.

After this, I think it will be beer time.

Do it the same way as you would ON-LINE. If nothing else, you can get all the check point created and dimensioned before you get a part, then it is simply a matter of editing around clamps etc.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Off line programming is the same as on line. You said you can do it on line. Should be no problem.
      sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

Also watch feature vectors - can cause major collision during execution...
        Execute offline first and watch probe path.
        PC-DMIS CAD++ 3.7 from 4.2 MR1

Comment

You are all saying "offline is the same as online". Well, I'm going to ask... by online do you mean you are just using learned features on an actual part, or are you online and programming with a cad model and the part is there so you can put in move points and make sure your features are in the right spot etc.

Comment

Programming with cad or without, in either case, you need to know the nominals of the features. If you know the nominals of the feature, you can, if nothing else, type them into the cells in teh auto features dialog box (no cad). With cad, it is pick-n-click, just like normal.
            sigpic
            Originally posted by AndersI
            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Part Programming in OFFLINE mode with CAD model.
              PC-DMIS CAD++ 3.7 from 4.2 MR1

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                Programming with cad or without, in either case, you need to know the nominals of the features. If you know the nominals of the feature, you can, if nothing else, type them into the cells in teh auto features dialog box (no cad). With cad, it is pick-n-click, just like normal.
                Right, I wasn't sure when he said "online" if he has been using cad to create programs online. I almost always program "online" without using cad by using a combination of learned features and auto features. Cad is just not something that is usefull to me at this point. I have also programmed "offline" using only auto features. Again, no cad for "offline" programs that I have done. I would say that programming offline without cad can be very difficult depending on the part.

To me, offline doesn't get used because I have to be sitting at the cmm to program so why not use it online and double check myself as I go (online) rather than ending up with a program that might have an error in the middle (offline). I always have parts available when I program.

Comment

Some Tips
                  Make sure The [Graphics mode] tool bar is open there is a probe icon that will allow you to drag your probe to the cad model and take a hit. If you have two Graphics windows open such as xy and zx you can see the tip in all three axis. You need to click off the probe button to pan your cad model. I work offline sometimes and this is what I do. I am not sure if you can work offline as the primary program on your CMM but I am sure you can do it if you open another program first. the second program is always considered off line.
                  Tolerance challenged ... Living in the world of unseen lines.

This software isn't buggy its an infestation

Comment