Circle

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Circle

    I'm just curious if anyone else finds it troubling that when you inspect a hole using auto-circle, lets say at a depth of .5, PC D-MIS transfers the error to the zero depth along I assume the theoretical hole center-line to give you a deviation that may or may not be correct at that level depending on how good that hole is to the hole vector. I know many might say to use a cylinder, but we have had problems there too because aparently PC D-MIS assumes the hole is normal to the surface it pierces and takes the vector of the cylinder from the surface. Just seems to me if you measure a hole 1/2" down, the measured values should be 1/2" down. I know I can turn show hits on, but that does not get me the center of the hole 1/2" down as approximated by PC D-MIS using it's internal algoithms.
    V3.7 MR2 - XP SP2

  • #2
    Well, the depth function is meant to allow the user to set a depth at which the hitws will be good, for example on the shear of a sheet metal part. If you want the XYZ for 0.5" deep in the hole, us a -0.5" stock thickness. After all, when you pick the data ON THE SURFACE, that is the ONLY think Pcdmis has to go by for nominals. If you want the nominals for somthing other than the surface, you have to use stock thickness OR pick some other feature/cad data.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thank you.
      I tested it out off-line and if I put a -.5 Thickness, with a depth of zero it appears PC D-MIS will do what I desire (show the error at the level it is measuring it)

      Comment


      • #4
        Still there in V4.1????

        Originally posted by RussL View Post
        when you inspect a hole using auto-circle, lets say at a depth of .5, PC D-MIS transfers the error to the zero depth along I assume the theoretical hole center-line to give you a deviation that may or may not be correct at that level depending on how good that hole is to the hole vector.
        Just curious, but is this still done in V4.1? When I look at my resutls, I do not see that. It seems as if in V4.1 it outputs the results at the "height" or depth it is measured. Or am I missing something here????

        Jan.
        ***************************
        PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
        Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

        Comment


        • #5
          Man, I'll be P!SS-ED off if they screwed that up! If you want XYZ values for a certain depth inside a hole, it SHOULD be stockthickness, the DEPTH is meant (really!) for sheet metal and if I no longer have my surface nominals, howinthehell am I going to explain that to customers? Thank god I am still using V3.7 (wish it was 3.2063).
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
            Man, I'll be P!SS-ED off if they screwed that up! If you want XYZ values for a certain depth inside a hole, it SHOULD be stockthickness, the DEPTH is meant (really!) for sheet metal and if I no longer have my surface nominals, howinthehell am I going to explain that to customers? Thank god I am still using V3.7 (wish it was 3.2063).
            I use 3.2063, are you green with envy?
            When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              I don't even know exactly what this does but it sounds like it might be causing you some problems. If it is turned on. So here goes. Go to edit/preference/setup from there there is an option to move feature to referance plane. Is it possibly checked? Again I don't know what this does as mine is not checked.
              Time for the Trolls to leave.

              Comment


              • #8
                Thamks for the suggestion.
                I checked that setting, it is turned off.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by William Johnson View Post
                  I don't even know exactly what this does but it sounds like it might be causing you some problems. If it is turned on. So here goes. Go to edit/preference/setup from there there is an option to move feature to referance plane. Is it possibly checked? Again I don't know what this does as mine is not checked.
                  I think that only works for manual points, not auto features, but I have never used it myself. I think it is so you can put a detail that is NOT parallel top and bottom on the table, use the top to level, then measure the sides and edges and holes and have the measured data magically projected into the top plane of the detail since no way can YOU manually do it all at the same depth. But I could be wrong.
                  sigpic
                  Originally posted by AndersI
                  I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    You should be able to set the depth for any type of hole on any type of part. It sounds like you have two different depth functions running at once. Check the program parameters and make sure that the depth is set to zero so it is not adding more depth to what you enter in the auto circle definition.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by John Kingston View Post
                      I use 3.2063, are you green with envy?
                      I WOULD be if it weren't for the fact that V3.2063 could not handle the IGES files I get. Even files that imported into V3.5 correctly, then saved back to V3.2063 were messed up once in V3.2063. That really sucked. That is the only reason I am not still using that version.
                      sigpic
                      Originally posted by AndersI
                      I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think I am lost.

                        Are we looking for ACTUAL measurement of the hole in all 3 axes?

                        If you use 3 sample hits, it uses those to establish actual vector for proper depth as asked for. The ACTUAL dimensions are what is then produced.
                        http://baggy3.info/signani3.gif
                        Excercise your mind,..... muscle works better than fat!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You wouldn't be using "find-hole" would you?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
                            You wouldn't be using "find-hole" would you?
                            Hey, I did that last night!
                            sigpic
                            Originally posted by AndersI
                            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                              Hey, I did that last night!
                              Was it min or max....
                              sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

                              Comment

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X