New CMM Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New CMM Search

I am currently looking for a new CMM for our lab. I have 3 Starrett Machines at this point. I had a guy contact from Sheffield Measurement and he is sending his info. to me. Just wandering if someone would like to share their thoughts on Sheffield machines. And ideas on what kind on machine I should go with. I am looking for one in the 24-24 range. Thanks for the input.

Josh
    ~Josh~ Giles Rescue "Ut ceteri vivant"

I have worked on a Sheffield machine for a couple of days, I thought it was pretty nice. Don't forget to look at the Browne and Sharpe machines.
    sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Sheffield, B&S, Starrett.....All owned by hexagon ( Aren't they) ?????
      sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

We currently have a Sheffield Discovery. Nice little machine, it's built for shop floor use and does a nice job. We are actually looking for another used one, so
        if anybody has a spare they would like to sell, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post
          I have worked on a Sheffield machine for a couple of days, I thought it was pretty nice. Don't forget to look at the Browne and Sharpe machines.
          What kind of Sheffield was it? A Discovery? How does it run with the hard bearings and no air? Pretty good? Yeah, I haven't forgotten about the B&S machines. Just a few differences in them than what I'm used 2. My machines have a manual retract. They also have a dual joystick controller instead of the single one.

Comment

Originally posted by bw_bob View Post
            Sheffield, B&S, Starrett.....All owned by hexagon ( Aren't they) ?????
            This is true, but, they aren't manufactured by Hexagon. They all still have their own places of business, except for Starrett.

Comment

First closely analyze the size! You say 24x24. Have you looked at the parts that you will have? What I always did was look at the physical size of the biggest part I may run on this machine (let's say it is 16x16x16). I found that in that case you may get the need for probe extensions that are up to 8" long (to reach features inside holes). In order to enter them without any problems, I would try to get a machine that has 16" plus 10" ON BOTH SIDES!

That would mean a 36" stroke in X and Y and at least 26" in Z. This machine size will probably never give you any probrlams measuring a part that is 16" cubed.

I guess the point I want to make is that if you have the change to buy new, do not scimp on the size. You will need clearance around your part and you'll kick yourself forever if you buy a machine that's too small!

Then look at worst case accuracy requirements you can see coming.

Never used Sheffield.

Jan.
              PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
              Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan d. View Post
                First closely analyze the size! You say 24x24. Have you looked at the parts that you will have? What I always did was look at the physical size of the biggest part I may run on this machine (let's say it is 16x16x16). I found that in that case you may get the need for probe extensions that are up to 8" long (to reach features inside holes). In order to enter them without any problems, I would try to get a machine that has 16" plus 10" ON BOTH SIDES!

That would mean a 36" stroke in X and Y and at least 26" in Z. This machine size will probably never give you any probrlams measuring a part that is 16" cubed.

I guess the point I want to make is that if you have the change to buy new, do not scimp on the size. You will need clearance around your part and you'll kick yourself forever if you buy a machine that's too small!

Then look at worst case accuracy requirements you can see coming.

Never used Sheffield.

Jan.
                Thanks for the advice.....I already have (2) 40X28 machines. I'm not gonna have alot of room for this 4th machine, that is why I want/need a smaller one. I also have a 24x24 and I love it! There isn't much we do here that I can't check on it. Except for maybe our 36" Cat Scan Bases!

Comment