Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many hits for a hole?

Guys,

I have a question. How many hits are needed to measure a hole?
    At my company some people are starting a gage R & R test. I said that a minimum amount of hits are 3. With 3 hits it is not possoble to measure the roundness, so more hits are needed.
    I then mentioned that I had heard somewhere that Prime numbers (ie 3,5,7,11,13,17 etc) are the best to use.
    Is this so? If yes why?

Cheers

John
    sigpic If only all problems were so simple

There have been numerous discussions on this. Here is one.
    When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
    sigpic

Comment

Well, I can't tell you what is best. I can only tell you what I use and why.

I almost always use 11 because I have found that on my machine with my probe, that gives me the diameter values which are closest to those measured by a bore mic. I don't do a lot of roundesses. I am also not in a business which requires high speed and throughput.

What I have heard about using prime numbers. On machined parts often times vibration will cause a regular patern of irregularities. By using a prime number for the number of hits you will ensure that the hits will not always fall on the same part of the irregularities.

Imagine a triangular part. 3 hits or any multiple of 3 hits will give a distinct pattern. With a square any multiple of 4 hits will give a distinct pattern. A prime number of hits will ensure that some hits will fall off of the patern.

Comment

The more the better. I usually use 24 hits (Every 15 degrees).
        I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
        PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
        PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Just 4 hits, but I am automotive sheet metal, not NASA.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I start out with 6 or 8 if there are no form requirements. Some processes and call-outs require more hits and/or strategic placement of the hits as Goodluck mentioned in regards to process induced form issues (usually, but not always workholding induced).

Craig
            <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

Because of the algorithm used for diametral measurement, I tend to vary the amount of hits with the size of the bore / shaft, more surface - more hits.

I also use even numbers to simulate 2 opposing point method but I do run in situations where primes are more suitable.

Keep in mind that CMMs are not the best tool for diametral size / form measurement - but if you're looking for locations, it's pretty reliable.
              PC-DMIS CAD++ 3.7 from 4.2 MR1

Comment

Originally posted by Underspec View Post
                The more the better. I usually use 24 hits (Every 15 degrees).

Depending on what industry and what you are dimensioning. I'm in plastics and I dimension form alot. Yes the CMM is not very accurate for these types of things but the graphical analysis helps alot. For hole locations I agree with the 3-4 points.

A scanning CMM would be nicer if management would dish out the fund$. But, I have to work with what I got.
                I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
                PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
                PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

According to the National Physical Laboratory (NPL) - Measurement Good Practice Guide No. 41 by David Flack, the recommended number of points for a circle is 7 (to detect up to six lobes).
                  sigpic
                  Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
                  PCDMIS 2012
                  Windows Office XP

Comment