Taking PH10T off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking PH10T off

In order to take the front cover off of my CMM, the PH10T head needs to be taken off first. How would you square the head when putting it back in? I was told this would be ok to do as long as the head is put back in square and you re-calibrate all probes. I've never taken a PH10T off before and could use some help.

Using a Sheffield Dicovery II (D-12).
    I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
    PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
    PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

I use A90B90 and A90B-90 and the master ball

Set head to A90B90
    With tip in the probe, align tip at the back center of the master ball.
    Lock Y axis
    Raise head up
    Rotate head to A90B-90
    Move tip over the back center of the master ball and see how far forward or backward the tip is from the back of the ball.
    Rotate head accordingly but only half the distance.
    Repeat until satisfied.

Now cal the tips at those angles and compare the values for those angles.
    Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post

Set head to A90B90
      Lock Y axis
      Raise head up
      Rotate head to A90B-90
      Move tip over the back center of the master ball and see how far forward or backward the tip is from the back of the ball.
      Repeat until satisfied.

Make sure you use a tip that isn't bent when you do this.

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post

Set head to A90B90
        Lock Y axis
        Raise head up
        Rotate head to A90B-90
        Repeat until satisfied.

I do it the same way except I use a screwdriver sticking up so I can get it closer before I check with master ball and calibration, It will take a little time, when I get it better than .020 I stick with it, I use a 50mm long tip when I do it.
        sigpic

B&S Global 544
        Using 3.7mr3

Peace
        Greg

Nothin left ta dew but :) :) :) !

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
          Make sure you use a tip that isn't bent when you do this.
          Uh... yeah - good point. hehehehe

Comment

Originally posted by Underspec View Post
            In order to take the front cover off of my CMM, the PH10T head needs to be taken off first. How would you square the head when putting it back in? I was told this would be ok to do as long as the head is put back in square and you re-calibrate all probes. I've never taken a PH10T off before and could use some help.

Using a Sheffield Dicovery II (D-12).
            One thing that I have seen some customers do with the Discoverys is to take a pair of sheet metal scissors and cut a slot in the cover so that you can remove the cover next time without removing the head. (Just do a good job, if you do!)

Comment

Hi cmmguy,
              I have Sheffield Discovery's II in our shop and have never had to remove the head when taking the covers off. It is a tight opening for the head but it can be slipped over if you are carefull. Move the Z all of the way up to the + stop switch. Remove the cover screws and tip the cover toward the front of the machine. I stand on the table so I can see if any cables get snagged. For head sqareness I have a program that I run to square things but it is written in MeasureMax so it probably won't help.

Comment

Ok now I'm getting 0114 & 0115 errors when calibrating probe tips. Something to do with calibrations. I've squared the head to within .001".
                I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
                PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
                PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja View Post
                  Hi cmmguy,
                  I have Sheffield Discovery's II in our shop and have never had to remove the head when taking the covers off. It is a tight opening for the head but it can be slipped over if you are carefull. Move the Z all of the way up to the + stop switch. Remove the cover screws and tip the cover toward the front of the machine. I stand on the table so I can see if any cables get snagged. For head sqareness I have a program that I run to square things but it is written in MeasureMax so it probably won't help.
                  Some you can do that with. The earlier machines you could not. I think that the DIIs were changed to allow it - for obvious reasons.

Comment