STI (Single Touch Interface)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STI (Single Touch Interface)

Can someone tell me how to set up the .hlp files in STI+? I've already created a .hlp file but can't get STI to see it. I am assuming that it has to be .hlp type and not some other type.

I have used STI on Sheffield machines with Measuremax but not with PCDMIS.
    What are you trying to do Maybe I can help.

Comment

Since that is an old Sheffield Product and they were very firm in staying with the Microsoft compatible, it is likely that you would need to create the equivalent of Microsoft help files. Go to the Microsoft website and search for help on the HELP files.

In the 10 years of using STI, I have never used the help files. Never had the Help Compliler at my disposal.
      Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

in the user interface, there is a help button that the operator can select to see a help file. The help file can show the setup and alignment features etc. I downloaded a very nice FREE "help creator" from "Breit Technologies" that I have used to create a help file. I go into the STI+ manager to select this .hlp file but it doesn't seem to attach or link to STI correctly. There are no instructions in the STI+ help files to facilitate the setup of the operator help files.

Comment

Did you set the help index correctly?
          Are you creating the correct type of help file?

I tested it using a standard help file from a regular windows program and it worked fine.
          Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

That's the problem. I don't have instructions on the correct way to set it up. I'm sure it's simple. Would you be kind enough to 1. 2. 3 the steps to set it up correctly?

Comment

I create and provide setup instructions by creating a Slideshow. I take a picture of the setup and put definitive instructions in text boxes to create slides
              that the operator can move thru to get any setups needed. You can add as many slides as needed.

Comment

the problem with this is that you have to select the part, then run, to see the slides. You then have to hit cancel to stop the program so you can pan throught the slides. I'd rather just run the help files in a seperate application.
                In Measuremax, the help button is at the prompt window where the start button is. This is not the case in STI+ for PCDmis.

Comment

I handle that by putting in an operator prompt that lets the probe load and move to a safe place. The prompt tells operator to check part setup to slides to insure proper setup. after checking part setup operator press record(on Sheffields to continue: on PCDMIS press the Continue button.) I have never used the help button for the slideshows. They pop up as soon as the start button is pushed. Do you use the feature where you put a slide of your inspection intruction sheet in slideshow and as each dimension is checked the appropriate icon turns green if dimension is in tolerance and red if out of tolerance. After part is finished running if all dimensions are in tolerance the top of the screen turns green and if any one dimension is out of tolerance the top of the screen turns red. Operator can tell at a glance if part is good.

Comment

That sounds good for one or two parts maybe. but doesn't the operator have to close this dialog box in pcdmis during each part run either by selecting "OK" or "done"? If the "help button was in the start tab in STI, they could select it only as needed.

Comment

I was able to get this work, but not by using the STI setup program. Inside of the PC-DMIS STI directory, there is a folder titled MENU, and inside of it, a file titled MENU.cfg. You can basically open this file up in a text editor, and edit the location of the help file for each part, as well as specify the Help Topic that you want to go to. By doing this, I am able to access the appropriate help file from the Start tab for each part in STI, giving the operator the choice of viewing the help file, or simply executing their part program. This works extremely well, especially for new operators. Let me know if you have any questions on this, and I hope it helps.
                      2 Brown & Sharpe ONE CMM's
                      2 454 SF CMM's
                      Brown & Sharpe MicroXcel Pfx
                      Brown & Sharpe Profile 50
                      PC-Dmis vs 2012

Comment