Composite revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Composite revisited

I have a part that is a sheetmetal hat '_l-l_' than rolled like a hook 'j', with holes around the curve, the primary datum is the straight part of the hook (sorry no pic but I can PM a photo) I need to report composite of holes, do I make Alignment with BF 3D?

TIA, Thomas

Thomas,

What version of software are you using? Do you have cad file available?
    What is your datum structure? Depending on these, you still should be able to use an iterative alignment.

Regards,
    ZydecoPete
    sigpic

Comment

3.7 mr3
      I have my program w/cad, I'm questioning how to construct alignment for composite TP

Thomas
      Attached Files

Comment

Tom, this is so straightforward in V4.1 using the XactMeasure GD&T. Any chance that you upgrade?

Any version before 4.0 has trouble with composite anything. Although at the fringes still problematic, 4.1 does a great job at handling exactly the call-outs you have.

If you can not upgrade, use A as your plane. B determines a point in space and C fixes the last rotation. You seem to have a relatively clean datum structure ( I have seen much worse).

Jan.
        PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
        Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

useing 3.7, I have 10 holes, first to ABC than to A only, for the callout to A should I use best fit alignment? bestfit 3D?

confused

Comment

Originally posted by Jan d. View Post

Any version before 4.0 has trouble with composite anything.
            Jan.
            Not sure I'd go that far...
            RFS Means Really Fussy Stuff

When all you have is a hammer - everything looks like a nail....
            sigpic

Comment

Thomas,

After your initial alignment to datum features ABC and dimensioned TP, you will need to do best fit (2d if you're using work plane) alignment on the 10 holes and make sure you have ROTATE and TRANSLATE checked...the carried weight on each feature I always leave alone - it'll probably say 1.000 and USE FEATURES on all 10 holes. Hope you have nominals plugged in which you should from initial alignment. When you ask for TP on the 10 holes after best fit make sure you uncheck USE DATUMS...that should do it.

Joe
              PC-DMIS CAD++ 3.7 from 4.2 MR1

Comment