iterative help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iterative help needed

I have a cylinder shaped part and every time I try to do an iterative alignment, I get the dreaded "Iterative Alignment Error".

I picked up 3 points on one of the flat surfaces near one end of the part, two points spaced pretty close together(on the OD) relatively close to 0,0,1 vector for rotate, and a final point (on the OD) of the cylinder at 0,1,0. I can get it to go measure the features in dcc, but after it measures the last one, I get "Iterative Alignment Error".

Any ideas? There are no circles I can use that follow the iterative rules, that I know of. All the circular features are the same vector, and same center.

3.7MR3
    Last edited by d.evans; 01-29-2009, 06:13 PM.
    ** "Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere!"~ Ulysses Everett McGill **

I'm not as good with iterative alignments as other on this board but have you tried a Best Fit alignment?

What is that part? It looks like a necking die for can manufacturing.
    Perry
    B&S Mistral
    3.207 Beta on XP

Older'n dirt

Comment

It is a vacuum sensor body for spaceflight hardware. Stainless steel. 1.000" OD, .620" length. I haven't tried a BF.
      ** "Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere!"~ Ulysses Everett McGill **

Comment

If it is a round object with NOTHING to keep it from 'spinning', then you will not be able to do an iterative alignment. In fact, best bet, measure a plane that it is going to sit on, measure the bore, do a 'regular' alignment. With no 'clocking' feature, the rotation is not a problem. Level to the plane, set XY origin to the bore, set Z origin to the plane, ignore the rotation, set the offset, CAD=PART, you are ready to check and report.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by AndersI
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Perry, you know he has to kill you now, right?
          Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

thanks, Matthew. I'll give it a whirl.

Comment

What are the tolerances, who is the customer and how much are you selling it for?
              <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

I have the part set up "sideways" so I can reach both ends of the cylinder. THere are features that must be reached that way. Anyway, I picked up three hits on a flat at one end, made a plane from them, Then I measured a circle in the center of the part (the 'thru' hole). Executed them one at a time. Then I did insert/alignment/leveled Xplus to pln1, chose nothing for rotate, origined y and z to the measured circle, origined x to the pln1. Then hit CAD=PART. and I'll be a monkey's uncle, but it worked.
                Thanks MATT!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by craiger_ny View Post
                  What are the tolerances, who is the customer and how much are you selling it for?

Why do you ask?
                  The tolerances are tight. OD at one end is +/- .001". ID at the other end is +.000/-.002". O-ring groove ID is +/- .003".

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy
                    Perry, you know he has to kill you now, right?

I didn't ask who his customer is.

I worked in the can tooling industry for 15 years. I've seen way more dies shaped like that than I care to remember. If his part has diametric tolerances like can tooling, ±.00015", a CMM is not the way to go.

Besides, He's in Alabama so I can only guess he's a good ole Southerner like me.
                    Perry
                    B&S Mistral
                    3.207 Beta on XP

Older'n dirt

Comment

Originally posted by d.evans View Post
                      Why do you ask?
                      The tolerances are tight. OD at one end is +/- .001". ID at the other end is +.000/-.002". O-ring groove ID is +/- .003".
                      I was kidding. I was picking up on J's joke about you having to kill Perry after divulging in information about the part that's all. I have nothing to offer.
                      <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

Not true, oh Craiger of the New York land!!! You have victuals and beer to offer!!!
                        sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post
                          Not true, oh Craiger of the New York land!!! You have victuals and beer to offer!!!
                          Stop using those big words.... I had to go and look up victuals
                          Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Pronunciation: 'vi-t&l
                            Function: noun
                            Etymology: Middle English vitaille, victuayle, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin victualia, plural, provisions, victuals, from neuter plural of victualis of nourishment, from Latin victus nourishment, way of living, from vivere to live -- more at QUICK
                            1 : food usable by people
                            2 plural : supplies of food : PROVISIONS
                            sigpic

Comment

sorry

Originally posted by craiger_ny View Post
                              I was kidding. I was picking up on J's joke about you having to kill Perry after divulging in information about the part that's all. I have nothing to offer.
                              that one went right over my bald head. I'm often (and rightly so) accused of being too 'literal'.

Comment