Measuring a Plane with a Disc Probe

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Measuring a Plane with a Disc Probe

    Hopefully someone has done this before and can give me a quick answer.

    I have something similar to an internal snap ring groove. I need to measure the distance from one side of the groove to the centerline of the part.

    The way I have my part set up the plane would have a vector of 1,0,0 and the centerline 0,1,0. I would need to take hits in the X direction with the head rotated to A90B-90.

    I can get the beast to take the hits but how do I calibrate the probe for taking these hits?

    See attached. I am trying to measure the .397 dimension.

    Anyone?
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Only thing I think of is to use a star probe. I don't think you can get valid data from the disk for such stuff. Anyone else?
    sigpic

    James Mannes

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post
      Only thing I think of is to use a star probe. I don't think you can get valid data from the disk for such stuff. Anyone else?

      No can do b/c of the diameters involved. I don't have a star that small. If I had a smaller tip (1 or 1.5 mm) I could take multiple vector points at multiple head angles and construct a plane. For this location anyway. There is another one of these that is about 2 inches down inside a bore.

      Comment


      • #4
        What about the probes like this? How do you calibrate the "pin" for taking hits?

        Comment


        • #5
          Pin is for reference. It does not get calibrated.
          <internet bumper sticker goes here>

          Comment


          • #6
            because of the size of the entry diameter, I think that you will need to measure this with "traditional" methods. Drop indicator depth gage with a foot locater to measure the depth of the groove to the face. Then from the face the centerline(maybe you can use the cmm for this).
            Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

            Comment


            • #7
              I could be wrong but I dont think you can get pcdmis to calibrate a disc probe on the flat area.

              However of the top of my head one bad idea I have is you could try to use the uncompensated probe hit data from your hits to first construct a parallel plane to the .397 surface. You could then offset that plane a assumed "disc" or sphere thickness which you can measure yourself ahead of time.

              I dont like this idea because your going to have to assume that the flat of the disc is always going to take each hit exactly normal to the spring groove flat. Otherwise as im sure you already know your going to get some cosine error depending how normal your part is to your probe angle.

              Just a though.
              Mr. Comment
              SCIROCCO-NT 13-20-10
              B3C-LC Controller (Leitz Protocol), SP600M, TP200
              PCDMIS CAD++ v4.3 MR1(Build: 12/11/08)
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
                because of the size of the entry diameter, I think that you will need to measure this with "traditional" methods. Drop indicator depth gage with a foot locater to measure the depth of the groove to the face. Then from the face the centerline(maybe you can use the cmm for this).
                [email protected] man, I don't want to do none of that math sh*t!

                Ok, why the h3ll didn't I think of that!? Forest for the trees I guess.

                Thanks.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
                  [email protected] man, I don't want to do none of that math sh*t!

                  Ok, why the h3ll didn't I think of that!? Forest for the trees I guess.

                  Thanks.
                  If you have enough of these to do, you could include the math in your CMM program and just prompt for the measurement from the hand gage. Or use a keyboard wedge and put the readings right into PCMIS prompt window.


                  I guess that you could also make a probe that has a tip(.75mm) at about a 15 degree angle - would that reach in and touch that face? Do that "relative" measurement that we discussed yesterday.
                  Last edited by cmmguy; 12-05-2006, 02:50 PM.
                  Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
                    No can do b/c of the diameters involved. I don't have a star that small. If I had a smaller tip (1 or 1.5 mm) I could take multiple vector points at multiple head angles and construct a plane. For this location anyway. There is another one of these that is about 2 inches down inside a bore.
                    Sorry wasn't paying attention to the sizes involved. Duh
                    sigpic

                    James Mannes

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hey, do you have a small fish-hook probe, we all know you have some, you would have to do a manual calibration on it, but it might work for you.
                      sigpic
                      Originally posted by AndersI
                      I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                        Hey, do you have a small fish-hook probe, we all know you have some, you would have to do a manual calibration on it, but it might work for you.
                        Nope, smallest probe I have (fish-hook or otherwise) is 2mm. Not quite small enough to land on the ledge.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
                          Nope, smallest probe I have (fish-hook or otherwise) is 2mm. Not quite small enough to land on the ledge.
                          Well, MAKE ONE, I know you can, you've done it before and the smaller the probe, the easier it is to make one!

                          Seriously, you may want to make one using a 1mm ball, just to ahve on hand for this kind of thing.
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by AndersI
                          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                            Well, MAKE ONE, I know you can, you've done it before and the smaller the probe, the easier it is to make one!

                            Seriously, you may want to make one using a 1mm ball, just to ahve on hand for this kind of thing.
                            I'll have to order one and bend it. Good tip tip. Couldn't you auto cal it as long as you limit the cal. angle to avoid the shank?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Can you access that hole from the non-chamfer side?

                              mabe put a gage pin in the chamfer side and it will stop against the surface you need to probe????
                              Lately, it occurs to me
                              What a long, strange trip it's been.

                              2017 R1 (Offline programming)

                              Comment

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X