runout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• runout

I have a callout on an ID runout .002 -B-. Datum B is another OD.

So, the roundness of the ID is .0000. The actual location is X.0 Y .002. Wouldn't that mean that the runout is very close to .002 ??

CMM report shows runout .005
    B&S One
    PC-DMIS CAD v2014

Romer Infinity

Originally posted by WolfMan View Post
    I have a callout on an ID runout .002 -B-. Datum B is another OD.

So, the roundness of the ID is .0000. The actual location is X.0 Y .002. Wouldn't that mean that the runout is very close to .002 ??

CMM report shows runout .005
    Under these conditions, I could see .005. If you put Datum B in a V block and rotated the part, the features center would rise and fall .004. Assuming that some rounding is going on .005 is entirely possible.

Comment

Originally posted by kingsld1 View Post
      Under these conditions, I could see .005. If you put Datum B in a V block and rotated the part, the features centre would rise and fall .004. Assuming that some rounding is going on .005 is entirely possible.
      +1 diametrical tol zone init blud!

Not to mention location will just be giving the deviation of the features defined xyz point, the other end of the cylinder could be worse.
      Automettech - Automated Metrology Technology

Comment

Those pesky vectors!
        http://youtu.be/fVq4_HhBK8Y

B&S CHAMELEON/PCDMIS CAD++ V2011

There are no bugs, only "UNDOCUMENTED ENHANCEMENTS!"

sigpic

Comment

Is this a round part or some type of housing? If it's a round part you can verify the runout in vee blocks or between centers with an indicator. I always hate when engineers assign runout to diameters in housings. Runout, as per the ASME 14.5 standard, must be ROTATED about the Datum axis. That's pretty hard to do with a Housing. In reality the CMM is reporting Position. You show your .002 dimension in three place decimal. If I were to guess, opening up the decimals to four place may show the location something like .00023" or .00024". In three place decimal, the CMM would round these numbers down to .002. The calculated Position in four place decimal would be .0046" or .0048". The CMM would round them both up to .005"
          Marty Dobson
          Director of Quality
          http://www.linkedin.com/in/mjdobson

PC-DMIS CAD V4.2 MR1 & V2011
          PH10MQ
          TP200

Comment

Originally posted by kingsld1 View Post
            Under these conditions, I could see .005. If you put Datum B in a V block and rotated the part, the features center would rise and fall .004. Assuming that some rounding is going on .005 is entirely possible.
            Ahhh yes yes, and fall, sorry i didnt think about the fall part. The part is large so I couldn't set it up in the V.
            B&S One
            PC-DMIS CAD v2014

Romer Infinity

Comment

Its a housing looking part.
              Originally posted by mdobb829 View Post
              Is this a round part or some type of housing? If it's a round part you can verify the runout in vee blocks or between centers with an indicator. I always hate when engineers assign runout to diameters in housings. Runout, as per the ASME 14.5 standard, must be ROTATED about the Datum axis. That's pretty hard to do with a Housing. In reality the CMM is reporting Position. You show your .002 dimension in three place decimal. If I were to guess, opening up the decimals to four place may show the location something like .00023" or .00024". In three place decimal, the CMM would round these numbers down to .002. The calculated Position in four place decimal would be .0046" or .0048". The CMM would round them both up to .005"
              B&S One
              PC-DMIS CAD v2014

Romer Infinity

Comment

Yes, after reading some replies I realized that i did not think aboit the rise and FALL, which is also taken into the account. I i got it now, thank you all.
                Originally posted by WolfMan View Post
                Its a housing looking part.
                B&S One
                PC-DMIS CAD v2014

Romer Infinity

Comment