Touch speed and scan speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touch speed and scan speed

I took one point in 5mm. slot. The touch speed is 2% and scan speed is 10% and both are default. I did not change speeds. Would it be better to change touch speed lower and I am not sure about scan speed. In fact, I reduced prehit and retract values for the point.

2% and 5% of what maximum speed without knowing that its anyone guess. We use mm/sec as it avoids confusion and use 1mm/sec touch, 5mm/sec scan as our defaults.

Comment

Thank you very much.

Comment

scan speed is NOT the same as touch speed.

touch speed is for single touches, where the probe is moving normal to the surface, then into the surface to make contact.

scan speed is a lateral speed, the speed at which the scanning head/probe will move over the surface collecting data.

They are (basically) 90 degrees to each other.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by AndersI
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Jignesh View Post
          I took one point in 5mm. slot. The touch speed is 2% and scan speed is 10% and both are default. I did not change speeds. Would it be better to change touch speed lower and I am not sure about scan speed. In fact, I reduced prehit and retract values for the point.
          Well, are you you taking hits or are you scanning?
          Do you even have an Analog scanning probe?

If you are taking hits, the TOUCHSPEED in the part program must be set exactly the same as the TOUCHSPEED used during probe calibration.
          Do not slow it down, even for tight work with small prehit-retract clearances.
          If you are scanning, the above is still mandatory - but then you also use SCANSPEED vary the speed of the Analog scanning probe dragging across the part surface and as it collects contour data.

````

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
          scan speed is NOT the same as touch speed.

touch speed is for single touches, where the probe is moving normal to the surface, then into the surface to make contact.

scan speed is a lateral speed, the speed at which the scanning head/probe will move over the surface collecting data.

They are (basically) 90 degrees to each other.
          This is correct.

Furthermore, it is highly recommended that for Analog full-contact scanning you switch the program mode from Percentages to Absolute Speed.
          In the F5 tab Part/Machine, you would check the box for Display Absolute Speeds. The number shown there is the max speed limit of your machine.
          Note that:
          A) This is a global setting for the entire program, and
          B) It is always in mm/s (millimeters per second) even in inch programs.

Once you switch it, click the Defaults button to set the Absolute Speeds mode as default so that all new programs use that mode.
          Then, all MOVESPEED, TOUCHSPEED, and SCANSPEED commands need to written to a flat mm/s and not a percentage of machine maximum.

Comment