Drifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drifting

I must be getting senile, I have seen this before and can't remember the remedy. I have a machine drifting when probe enable is on. Thanx
    sigpicRAH
    B&S GI 10-7-10
    PH10MQ-SP600M
    3.7 MR3

I think you'll have to open up the handbox. I'm not sure what to adjust but there's a guy here at work who fixes that for us.
    "Your mom goes to college."
    Kip

Comment

Yuk. I was hoping I didn't have to. I have been in it before, I had to replace the toggle switch once. You daresn't drop those things.
      sigpicRAH
      B&S GI 10-7-10
      PH10MQ-SP600M
      3.7 MR3

Comment

If it is in the Z - axis, take off the 4 screws located on the top of the joystick and you should see a spring in there, either it is getting weak or it is broke.
        Global Status 12-22-10
        Global Performance 9-15-8
        CAD++ 2015.1_SP7

Comment

for z Try the adjustment first take off the 4 screws - reset small set screw
          very tricky - very fine tuning required - so move just a hair
          DR Watson shut me down again !!!! :mad: Smoke break:eek:

Comment

Man, I'd hate to see these joy-boxes you guys have, mine must be either older or newer, it has taken one he11 of a pounding over the years. Never had to fix anything on it until about a month ago. The Z spin was slipping, so you could turn the knob, but it wouldn't move. I took the top off but found that the set screw was tight to the center screw. So, after a little playing around, I discovered that the switch portion of the knob could be pulled straight up and away a little bit. The switch portion has a recessed hex to fit over a nut on the shaft. The nut has a set screw, that was the one that loosened up. I took a utility knife, shaved away a little of the bottom portion of the plastic knob cover so I could get in there with an allen wrench and tightened it up. I then pushed the switch portion back over the nut, then screwed it all back together. No problem. This thing has been dropped enough times, and hard enough, that the edge all around the knob is bent-over, distorted, all the kind of thing. I did have to adjust the Z because I played with that first, hoping that was where the problem was, but it was not touchy in the least. I would guess that I had about 15 to 20 degrees of 'zero' on the shaft, that is quite a target to have it hold zero. This is the one that B&S put on the machine at the retrofit, I would guess 6 years ago or so, maybe longer. I would have to dig out the records and I don't feel like it.
            sigpic
            Originally posted by AndersI
            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I havn't seen it myself yet, this machine is at another plant. My people there tell me that it is drifting positive in all three axis.
              sigpicRAH
              B&S GI 10-7-10
              PH10MQ-SP600M
              3.7 MR3

Comment

Mine was drifting in the Y-axis recently (while Enable was pressed). Take the box cover off, there are "switches" for X and Y that can be adjusted w/ set screws. You'll just have to play with the tension on those screws to get it right. If it's in the Z-axis, same principles at work (but you have to take the "stick" apart.

Comment

I am thinking that you dont have the newer remote then Matt. It is pretty darn delicate now.
                  sigpicRAH
                  B&S GI 10-7-10
                  PH10MQ-SP600M
                  3.7 MR3

Comment

Are we talking about the 4 screws which hold the entire remote box together?
                    sigpicRAH
                    B&S GI 10-7-10
                    PH10MQ-SP600M
                    3.7 MR3

Comment

The only remedy I have seen for drifting is to do a swap with B&S on your control box. Never tried to open it and fix it, just sent it back.

Mike

Comment

The four screws referred to on the z axis fixes would be the four screws on the top of the joystick itself to access the spring inside. These wear out or even sometimes break. I have a couple made that I keep around.
                        DCCFreak

Comment