Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Star" Pin

Good Day All,

I have a "star" pin that is a 4 way locater, however, this pin is not "circular", i.e., the radial distance to each of the 4 sides is not equal.

It is "rectangular" in shape.

How do I properly take hits on this "pin", (can I take surface sample hits around the base), and use it as my datum?

What do you suggest as the best method??

Thanks in advance for your input.

Blessings,
    ZydecoPete
    sigpic

I would take a point on each 'star' point, then do mid-points of eah opposite and dimension each mid-point.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warcholyk View Post
      Good Day All,

I have a "star" pin that is a 4 way locater, however, this pin is not "circular", i.e., the radial distance to each of the 4 sides is not equal.

It is "rectangular" in shape.

How do I properly take hits on this "pin", (can I take surface sample hits around the base), and use it as my datum?

What do you suggest as the best method??

Thanks in advance for your input.

Blessings,
      ZydecoPete
      Is the shape more diamond than rectangular?

Are the "corners" radiused?

If they are radiused then take a measurement around the base to find the centerline first - set zero - then take points on axis at each corner- then the midpoints....
      Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Peter,

I am guessing it is a 2-way pin locator??

I usually take points this way. (Kind of unconventional, but well proven.)

Make note of the ACTUAL vector of the sides. Select the circle from CAD. Note the diameter. If you need height, give thickness to the diameter. Then change the type to vector point, change the vector, then ADD the radius of the circle the the thickness.
        Note, You must complete the ENTIRE process with the other side.
        Then use the midpoint for location.
        This should get you the alignment you need to measure from CAD. At this point you can measure the pin any way you want.

This helps greatly with complex vectors.
        Last edited by Paul Barriage; 11-21-2006, 01:26 PM.
        http://baggy3.info/signani3.gif
        Excercise your mind,..... muscle works better than fat!!

Comment

I often measure these as a 4 point stud for a quick check, making sure to start @ zero on one axis.
          The other methods mentioned will also work.
          HTH

Comment