Clearance Planes or Clearance Cube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearance Planes or Clearance Cube?

What are some of the pros and cons of either Clearance Planes or Clearance cube?
    Any examples when one works better than the other?
    Any thoughts on these?

Simple answer - it depends - more specifically it depends on what your part(s) like.

I've not used clearance cube much, but it's quite a new feature and has had a few teething issues.

I quite like clearance planes for the right sort of parts.

Currently I use mainly move points and avoidance moves (auto feature clearance moves).
    Automettech - Automated Metrology Technology

Comment

I think that there are some newer features like subroutines (2014) that will not work with clearplanes only clearance cube. So it really depends on what you use. I personally do not use clearance cube.

Comment

I only used clearance cube when I just started out (after learning about it at a Hexagon class) and it consistently gave me problems. It would prehit or retract to the wrong workplane, causing coalitions. I would always have to go though the clearances to make sure it was using the right axis, which got old quick. If I have to go though every single move, that kinda defeats the purpose of the feature.

Granted, this was PCD 2013 and I was just starting out. Clearance planes were just so much simpler at that time, so I stock with them.

Comment

I use clear planes 99.9 % of the time. The only time I use movepoints is for an end of program move. I was scared away from horror stories with the initial launch of clear cube. At this point, clearplanes set themselves I have been doing it so long.

Comment

I prefer clear planes for their "ease of use"! I have noticed significant differences between using move points over clear planes, with clear planes showing to be far superior in most applications. However, when I have a part where using just clear planes isn't logical, as with most aerospace parts, I will use a combination of both clear planes and move points. But I still find for majority of applications clear planes to be superior.
            Just my take on the subject.

Comment

I like the idea of the clearance cube but I had problems getting it to work correctly and predictably. I like clearplanes though I've never understood how to employ the pass through part of it.
              Nick
              PC-DMIS 2015.1
              DEA Scirocco-activ
              TP20 stuck to a PH10MQ
              Modified wheelie chair- slightly more comfortable

Comment

Originally posted by Schlag View Post
                I use clear planes 99.9 % of the time. The only time I use movepoints is for an end of program move. I was scared away from horror stories with the initial launch of clear cube. At this point, clearplanes set themselves I have been doing it so long.
                I'm in the same boat. Clearance Planes most of the time except for the few move points to move far away from the part. I have not used Clearance Cubes.

Comment