Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edge Points??

Hello Folks,

I quite often use edge points (plastic parts). If the edges of my parts are roughly 90 degrees, the typical "1 click" method works fine. That is one click on either the surface or the edge.

However, if there is a radius, one should use the "2 click" method. One click on the surface and one on the rad to obtain a proper vector.

Apparently, this can be changed in the settings editor.

Can anyone tell me how to be able to change this from "1 click" to the "2 click" type of measurement? I need to know how to do this back and forth.

Please explain in a simple step by step method.

I was told to go into the settings editor, and then proceed to AutoFeatures\EdgePoint. From here I do not know what to do.

Please advise ASAP.

Blessings,
    ZydecoPete
    sigpic

When edge point window is open change it to 3 or 5
    DR Watson shut me down again !!!! :mad: Smoke break:eek:

Comment

Jeffrey,

Thanks for your input, but that was not what I was looking for.

I finally found what I needed.

Within the pcdmisw directory, I had to open the "settings editor", then go to "AutoFeatures", then go to "EdgePoint2ClickSelect".

It is here that I had to change the setting to "True". This is what enables you to select both the first the "surface" point, and then secondly the "edge" point,
      independantly of each other. Particularily useful if the "edge" is a radius.

Best Regards,
      ZydecoPete
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warcholyk View Post
        Jeffrey,

Thanks for your input, but that was not what I was looking for.

I finally found what I needed.

Within the pcdmisw directory, I had to open the "settings editor", then go to "AutoFeatures", then go to "EdgePoint2ClickSelect".

It is here that I had to change the setting to "True". This is what enables you to select both the first the "surface" point, and then secondly the "edge" point,
        independantly of each other. Particularily useful if the "edge" is a radius.

Best Regards,
        ZydecoPete
        Thank you for the reply
        I just learned something
        saved it in my notes
        I will try this next time it comes up
        DR Watson shut me down again !!!! :mad: Smoke break:eek:

Comment

Jeffrey,

Your Welcome.

I also appreciate all the input on this board.

ZydecoPete
          sigpic

Comment

This is the perfect time to use a cylinder stylus. Do your pre-hit and your depth should be a little more than the radii, so it will hit the shank. If you use a round stylus you will never hit it true and will get Cosine error.

Lets here from the Nay Sayers of Cylinder probes, now.
            sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sarrach View Post
              This is the perfect time to use a cylinder stylus. Do your pre-hit and your depth should be a little more than the radii, so it will hit the shank. If you use a round stylus you will never hit it true and will get Cosine error.

Lets here from the Nay Sayers of Cylinder probes, now.
              Again, this will ONLY work if your probe is 100% perp. to the part you are checking. No matter how or for what you use it, it absolutely MUST be perp. to whatever you are measuring with the cylinder of the probe or you intruduce error. Sorry Paul(a), but that IS the way it is.
              sigpic
              Originally posted by AndersI
              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Matthew,

Do to the very nature of the software, wouldn't the probe be driven in on the correct vector approach angle?

Regards,
                ZydecoPete
                sigpic

Comment

Sure, it will be, BUT, all data collected by Pcdmis, no matter WHAT type probe you use, is ALL TO CENTER OF BALL of the probe. Even when you use the shank, there is NOTHING to tell Pcdmis that you are using the shank, so all data is from center of ball. See attached picture to see the error you can and WILL get using a cylinder probe on the cylinder portion. ALL data collected will come from the 'point' at the center of the ball, EVEN if you use a depth of check equal to the depth you did the shaft calibration at.

Last edited by Matthew D. Hoedeman; 02-21-2007, 12:31 PM.
                  sigpic
                  I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                    Sure, it will be, BUT, all data collected by Pcdmis, no matter WHAT type probe you use, is ALL TO CENTER OF BALL of the probe. Even when you use the shank, there is NOTHING to tell Pcdmis that you are using the shank, so all data is from center of ball. See attached picture to see the error you can and WILL get using a cylinder probe on the cylinder portion. ALL data collected will come from the 'point' at the center of the ball, EVEN if you use a depth of check equal to the depth you did the shaft calibration at.

[ATTACH]868[/ATTACH]
                    I don't disagree with your premise, BUT WHY does PCDMIS allow you to calibrate the shank of a probe tip?
                    Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
                      I don't disagree with your premise, BUT WHY does PCDMIS allow you to calibrate the shank of a probe tip?
                      I have often wondered the exact same thing myself. Since you can not CHOOSE shank anyplace EXCEPT in the calibration window, why have it at all? The ONLY thing I think a shaft probe is good for would be to digitize what SHOULD be a flat blank (piece of sheet metal) that isn't flat, and you can set your probe height so that all the touches would land on the shaft of the shank and you then wouldn't have to keep changing the height of the probe to get the entire profile of the blank. Now, others will dis-agree with me, and that is fine, that is what this site is all about, good, knock-down, drag-out fights! Oh, no it isn't, it is about Pcdmis and such. Anyway, once you look at that picture and realize that ALL data for ALL probes come from the calibrated CENTER of the ball, you will see that a shank probe really is not of much use (IMO).
                      sigpic

Comment

I have found them useful when I have to check a part with the sheer down to the table. It will pick up the "high" points. But technically they shouldn't be used unless you haven't any choice.
                        sigpic

Comment

back to the original problem of Pete:

I think there's no need to leave PCDMIS to the SettingsEditor, it might
                          also work on the fly if you go with F5 (in PCDMIS) to the Setup and
                          activate in the listing the "Edge Point Only Mode". Probably??

Comment

Hello bitsandmore,

I'll give that a try the next time that I'm on those parts.

I'm curious, whereabouts are you in Germany? I had the pleasure of working in Coburg for 1 month, 2 years ago.

Look forward to hearing from you.

My email address is as follows; [email protected]

Best Regards,
                            ZydecoPete
                            sigpic

Comment