SP25+Star Probe Calibration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SP25+Star Probe Calibration?

Tried to search, no luck. I've only ever calibrated TTP star probes on straight up artifacts, however with the SP25 its not allowing me to set a start and end angle on my calibration. Is the only way to calibrate this thing to use parameter sets and multiple angles on the calibration sphere?

Unfortunately yes, for the full calibration that has to be done first. The calibration routine for full calibration is locked. Something else that can help is to select DCC+DCC and use a shorter prehit and retraction distance. I've found this can help with close calls during calibration.

That being said, once it's been done you can do a partial calibration which gives you the standard definitions of number of hits and start & end angles. The partial will only work once the full scanning calibration has been done and the probe build hasn't been broken down. Even a crash can cause the partial calibration to give less than desirable results.
    PC-DMIS 2016.0 SP8

Jeff

Comment

I'm guessing that your qual sphere only has a 45 degree base, right?

Try and craft some sort of adapter (I've used sine plates in the past) to get the qual sphere pointing straight up, and make a new tool definition with IJK 0,0,1.
      Then your star tips should run.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Carpenter View Post
        I'm guessing that your qual sphere only has a 45 degree base, right?

Try and craft some sort of adapter (I've used sine plates in the past) to get the qual sphere pointing straight up, and make a new tool definition with IJK 0,0,1.
        Then your star tips should run.
        I have one of the renishaw spheres that can rotate to 45 degrees but is usually at 001, but when it goes to measure the sides of the star at 001 it is hitting the shank of the sphere.

Comment

Originally posted by fineout12 View Post
          I have one of the renishaw spheres that can rotate to 45 degrees but is usually at 001, but when it goes to measure the sides of the star at 001 it is hitting the shank of the sphere.
          Please describe the wrist angle and which way the actual tips are pointing when this happens.

Comment

Please describe the wrist angle and which way the actual tips are pointing when this happens.
            It seems that T2-4 have now been able to work. For some reason T5 is having an issue where is is continuing to drive through the sphere. I'll recheck the settings on my opt probe maybe my forces are wrong.
            Last edited by fineout12; 12-08-2015, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fineout12 View Post
              T1A0B0 goes fine T2A0B0 crashes. Pc-Dmis 4.3 MR1 CAD++ 5 way star with equal length tips are fairly square to the machine coordinates.
              Check that the virtual build matches real-life build EXACTLY.
              Make sure qual sphere tool definition has IJK 0,0,1.
              Fairly square is not square enough. You need to run tips back and forth near a block, eyeballing until they are VERY square to machine travel.

Just checking: you are using a master probe (preferably a short stiff large dia ball) in A0 B0 to locate qual sphere with manual hit, not the star probe, right?

If it still does not work, time to go to Plan B:
              1) 4 New qual tool definitions, each mounted parallel to granite with IJKs to match. Each one is located by master probe A0 B0, then calibrate the star tip that points at that tool orientation.
              2) Go back to sphere IJK 0,0,1 and do the quick cal check.

Comment

Check that the virtual build matches real-life build EXACTLY.
                Make sure qual sphere tool definition has IJK 0,0,1.
                Fairly square is not square enough. You need to run tips back and forth near a block, eyeballing until they are VERY square to machine travel.

Just checking: you are using a master probe (preferably a short stiff large dia ball) in A0 B0 to locate qual sphere with manual hit, not the star probe, right?

If it still does not work, time to go to Plan B:
                1) 4 New qual tool definitions, each mounted parallel to granite with IJKs to match. Each one is located by master probe A0 B0, then calibrate the star tip that points at that tool orientation.
                2) Go back to sphere IJK 0,0,1 and do the quick cal check.
                I was using the TIP1 to locate the Qual Sphere, I don't have many SH25-3 tips and it would be a long stylus anyway since minimum reccomended for the SM25-3 is 120mm

Comment

I've attached some information from Renishaw on star probe configurations, I don't know if it will help
                  Attached Files

Comment