Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V4.1 Upgrade

Greetings,

I have just received V4.1. I am just curious if anybody has any cautions or warnings, before doing the install?
    ~Josh~ Giles Rescue "Ut ceteri vivant"

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

sORRY dUDE I know it's not funny at all. 4.1 just as buggy as the rest. Some things work great some just are not working......If you are running 3.7 mr3 and have no problems stay with that until Mr1.
    Last edited by rerun_lives; 11-16-2006, 08:46 AM.
    sigpic
    Cold Beer MMMmmmm........

Dell Precision T5400
    Windows 7
    B&S XCEL
    WENZEL LH1512
    PCDMIS 2011 MR1

Comment

I hear a lot of gripes about reporting but it sounds like they are griping about the complexity of reporting. B&S has long desired to have the fanciest, most tricked out reports known. They tried pushing Hypereports as that magical tool for it but that is another story. When you sell CMM software and walk into a plant and show all of the management folks the fancy pants reports you can generate you can pretty much make the sale alone on that, after all that is what those guys see they don't even know what a CMM can or can't do. For me it sounds like reporting is an improvement over Hypereports but not necessarily easier to learn. If you have limited knowledge of PCDMIS then you don't want to spend hours upon hours learning how to create a fancy report. I am all for involved and flexable reporting but I hear a lot of complaints. You should be able to generate a report that matches your skill level/willingness to dump time into it. Make sure there is a generic or an "old style" reporting option that you can use while you learn the more intricate stuff. I hear that GD&T is improved but you'll have to get that from others here. I am not sure we have enough users here to have exposed just what level of bugs you'll run into but some have been exposed but so far I have not seen much in the way of work arounds yet.

In my opinion 3.2063 is one of the best and 3.7 is nearly as good. What 3.7 lacks in the simplicity and stability of 3.2063 (don't get me wrong it is fairly stable) it makes up for in additional features. I must say I hate the docking behavior of the edit window in 3.7 and I have one seat that the marked sets window will not go away on that almost has me to the point of vandalizing Hexagon's HQ over. That is a madening bug that drives me to drink liquor on work nights.

We are seeing more and more 4+ guys here so the support network is growing.

Craig
      <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

You guys must be paying good money for your SMA renewals. We have only 2 machines and I haven't seen ANY update CD sent to me since v3.7MR2.
        I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
        PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
        PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Underspec View Post
          You guys must be paying good money for your SMA renewals. We have only 2 machines and I haven't seen ANY update CD sent to me since v3.7MR2.

You missed out on the 4.0 coasters/frisbees?! I thought everyone got those. I got 2. I guess maybe they thought that would make it twice as good.

Comment

Originally posted by Underspec View Post
            If you call techy support and ask for a cd they will give one. I have run the DEMON since July with 4.1, but I wanted a fresh copy because of a possible "bug" (FCF issue turns out is my problem not BNS/WILCOX). So I emailed Doug Sjogren and he had a disk sent out to me.

FYI...
            Went to the user group meeting yesterday and learned some good info on Report Templates.
            sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

What did you learn?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post

FYI...
                Went to the user group meeting yesterday and learned some good info on Report Templates.

I concur, the Report Templates seems to ba a little overwelming at first, but after the user group meeting, it really isn't that hard to get into.

Comment

jkb,
                  I also have a Starrett using PCDMIS, and have recently put 4.1 into use..

yup, still some issues, (2nd arm window)(periodic shutdowns)

use the "legacy" dimensioning to avoid some of the TP issues

graphics manipulation is smoother (rotating your view with your mouse)

otherwise..you'll like it
                  Which one gets ridden today? MPH vs MPG..tough choice, both are FUN
                  sigpic

Starrett RGDC 4028-24 :alien:
                  Demon vintages 3.7, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by rebeldude View Post
                    What did you learn?
                    Well, for starters, while they did get rid of HYPER-REPORTS, they have introduced a "new and improved hyper-report" called a "FORM". With the form editor everything that was available in a hyper-report is available in a FORM. It is now a microsoft compliant tool. As an example, the ability to output stats from within DMIS itself to ACCESS is no longer supported, from within the FORM editor you can send out to ACCESS. Also, setup photo are very easy to deal with (I did this just this morning(mmm setup pictures) and it took about 1 minute or less to use).

More info to come.
                    sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes
                      Well, for starters, while they did get rid of HYPER-REPORTS, they have introduced a "new and improved hyper-report" called a "FORM". With the form editor everything that was available in a hyper-report is available in a FORM. It is now a microsoft compliant tool......

More info to come.
                      Can you say VB? That is all Hypereport was, a home grown knock-off of VB that really wasn't that good. I liked Hypereport a lot but their mistake was pushing it off as a post inspect report. That was dumb and why a lot of people did not use it. B&S has an unhealthy obsession with post inspect reports if they had just marketed it as a pre-inspect set up tool a lot more people would have warmed up to it. I think they are in a mentality range that is a combination of ASQ and the IRS. I am glad to see they are taking things in the direction they are with 4 in regards to reporting.

Craig
                      <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

I am not going to say it is great; I find that there are problems, especially if you try to create custom labels and forms.

But if you can live with standard reporting, I think it is worth while to upgrade. I am especially impressed with the XactMeasure GD&T dimensioning. That has done wonders for me because I can report complex FCF's as they appear on the print. No need to find work-arounds. Good stuff.

But knowing that many annoying bugs are being worked on, if you can wait, wait until V4.2 is out.

Jan.
                        PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
                        Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

Jan,
                          4.2 will be a while there is talk of a 4.1 mr1 to be released. Me myself, I thought that mr's were no longer. But that has been discussed before and the fact is there more than likely will be one.

EDIT:

My apologies, there is not an "mr" planned for 4.1. I misunderstood, or was running low on lithium and did not hear Tim Wernicke correctly. There is no planned "mr" for 4.1.
                          Last edited by JamesMannes; 11-17-2006, 10:21 AM.
                          sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Hi James,

MRs have not been cancelled, but they will only be produced if severe issues are found that affect the a large proportion of users. To my knowledge, there is no planned V4.1 MR1. The V4.2 release to the factories is close (but I'm not stupid enough to name dates :-) ).

Cheers, Neil

Comment

Tim wernicke has said there may be a mr1 issued. Version 4.2 has a ways to go based on my assessment of it just yesterday. Numerous issues still exist, I have sent my concerns to Tim Wernicke.

EDIT:

My apologies, there is not an "mr" planned for 4.1. I misunderstood, or was running low on lithium and did not hear Tim Wernicke correctly. There is no planned "mr" for 4.1.
                              Last edited by JamesMannes; 11-17-2006, 10:21 AM.
                              sigpic

James Mannes

Comment