form only vs form and location for profile.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• form only vs form and location for profile.

Part is tube with cone on end of it . Has profile tolerance of 0.002 on the inner and outer sides of the cone. Part is aligned to I.D. of tube. What is the difference between selecting form only vs. form and location for profile? I would like as much detail as anyone could share on this topic please.

Form only means that PC-DMIS can calculate the profile by best fitting the points to nominal via the fitting algorithm you select.

Form and location means that PC-DMIS looks at the points compared to the nominal, but fit to the alignment you are in, rather than best fitting as form only would do.
    "This is my word... and as such is beyond contestation."

Comment

Form only does not evaluate location, only the shape.
      Form and Location evaluates both.
      Check the Help files.
      Lately, it occurs to me
      What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

Could you please give examples as to situations in which you would use form only and situations in which you would use form and location? The part profile dimension is to Datum A which is the ID. Currently the profile numbers are far out of tolerance and I am using form and location, however when I switch over to form only I come in tolerance. Happy to give more info but not sure what I could give to help you help me. I had a brief 4 hours with a pc-dmis guy at work(with 100 interruptions) on profile and obviously I do not have a complete grasp of this function of dmis yet.

Comment

Form Only - NO Datum structure.
          |prof| 0.025 |

Form and Location - Datum Structure
          |prof| 0.025 | -A- |

B&S CHAMELEON/PCDMIS CAD++ V2011

There are no bugs, only "UNDOCUMENTED ENHANCEMENTS!"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by atommonkeyz View Post
            Could you please give examples as to situations in which you would use form only and situations in which you would use form and location?
            Form Only: Blade profile without a root or shank

Form & Location: Blade profile oriented to a root or shank.
            Probitas laudatur, et alget.

sigpic
            Hang on to your butts!

Comment

In your situation you MUST use "Form and Location" and the program must be in an alignment that is leveled to the ID cylinder axis (-A-) at the point where the dimension command is executed. If the cone is tilted or mislocated relative to your datum axis then you will fail "Form and Location" even if the form of the cone is perfect. By using "Form Only" you are ignoring the fact that the cone is off location or orientation, which the print does not permit you to do.
              2013MR1 SP6
              Global Frames, Tesastar-M Heads, LSP-X1M/H Probes

Comment

Originally posted by dph51 View Post
                |prof| 0.025 |

|prof| 0.025 | -A- |
                +1
                Lately, it occurs to me
                What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

Originally posted by dph51 View Post
                  |prof| 0.025 |

|prof| 0.025 | -A- |
                  Originally posted by DaSalo View Post
                  In your situation you MUST use "Form and Location" and the program must be in an alignment that is leveled to the ID cylinder axis (-A-) at the point where the dimension command is executed. If the cone is tilted or mislocated relative to your datum axis then you will fail "Form and Location" even if the form of the cone is perfect. By using "Form Only" you are ignoring the fact that the cone is off location or orientation, which the print does not permit you to do.
                  +1 to both the above

perfect cone, but kicked off to one side. As DaSalo mentions (kind of) My dunce cap has perfect FORM, i just cant keep it aligned with my spine axis LOCATION/ORIENTATION
                  (spine not shown for clarity)
                  therefore, i violate your DWG.......
                  Last edited by sealevel; 10-14-2015, 06:52 PM. Reason: add more klarity

Comment