Contract Programming rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contract Programming rates

Would anyone happen to know what Hexagon charges per hour to write a part program or have any of you guys ever performed any 3rd party programming support. If so, how'd you charge? Thx
    Sheffield Endeavor3 9.20.8, Tesastar-SM, Leitz LSP-X1s & LSP-X1M, PCDMIS 2011 MR1

Originally posted by Hi-Tech Redneck View Post
    Would anyone happen to know what Hexagon charges per hour to write a part program or have any of you guys ever performed any 3rd party programming support. If so, how'd you charge? Thx
    I don't know what Hexagon is charging these days.
    Completely subjective and there are tons of factors to consider.

If it's a simple part that takes me less than an hour I'd charge a flat fee.
    Remember I'm in a position where I am not a full time employee, with no benefits, and I have my own software.

I'm going to charge you a higher rate than if I were a full time employee.
    Che Guevara is a communist scumbag.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGWIG7 View Post
      I don't know what Hexagon is charging these days.
      Completely subjective and there are tons of factors to consider.

If it's a simple part that takes me less than an hour I'd charge a flat fee.
      Remember I'm in a position where I am not a full time employee, with no benefits, and I have my own software.

I'm going to charge you a higher rate than if I were a full time employee.

I don't follow, are you a contractor, or is this all hypothetical?!
      Automettech - Automated Metrology Technology

Comment

These are not Hexagon rates but rates from other inspection facilities. The minimum I have had quoted was $85 per hour and most needed much editing after I got the programs.
        Last edited by YGOLORTEM; 09-21-2015, 11:28 AM.
        Jesse Krook

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaBadger View Post
          I don't follow, are you a contractor, or is this all hypothetical?!
          I'm an entrepreneur who happens to program CMM's.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGWIG7 View Post
            I'm an entrepreneur of money who happens to program CMM's.
            I agree with BigWig, I follow a similar route.
            B&S One
            PC-DMIS CAD v2014

Romer Infinity

Comment

We're very expensive because we are the experts.

For stationary CMM applications work, our current rate is $150/hr - but it's not a time-clock deal. We examine the print, the part, and the equipment to be used and issue a quote based on our estimate of how much time is required. Additionally, we will add travel expenses to the quote if the customer wants us to send our engineer to the facility and complete the job by taking care of the testing and tuning that is always required with offline programming.

Sometimes we'll anticipate difficulties and give a high quote, but temper it with a "not to exceed" note and only bill for actual time spent.
              Sometimes we'll offer steep discounts, or even include the programming as part of a new machine purchase.
              Sometimes we'll quote it just ordinary, then run into snags and eat dirt because we have to spend 1000 hours on it instead of the 10 we thought it would take. I've been a part of several of those rodeos!

Hi-Tech, I think your local Hex office is my buddies up in Nashville TN. Do you need their contact info?

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Carpenter View Post

For stationary CMM applications work, our current rate is $150/hr - but it's not a time-clock deal. We examine the print, the part, and the equipment to be used and issue a quote based on our estimate of how much time is required. Additionally, we will add travel expenses to the quote if the customer wants us to send our engineer to the facility and complete the job by taking care of the testing and tuning that is always required with offline programming.

Sometimes we'll anticipate difficulties and give a high quote, but temper it with a "not to exceed" note and only bill for actual time spent.
                Sometimes we'll offer steep discounts, or even include the programming as part of a new machine purchase.
                Sometimes we'll quote it just ordinary, then run into snags and eat dirt because we have to spend 1000 hours on it instead of the 10 we thought it would take. I've been a part of several of those rodeos!

Hi-Tech, I think your local Hex office is my buddies up in Nashville TN. Do you need their contact info?
                Thx but no...One of our sister plants has asked if we could write them a program and my Bossman wanted me to inquire as to what the going rate would be if they sent the print to the experts for programming. Kind of a ballpark figure as to how to charge them...Crazy Right?...Thx for your reply though. It's much appreciated
                Sheffield Endeavor3 9.20.8, Tesastar-SM, Leitz LSP-X1s & LSP-X1M, PCDMIS 2011 MR1

Comment

Thx but no...One of our sister plants has asked if we could write them a program and my Bossman wanted me to inquire as to what the going rate would be if they sent the print to the experts for programming. Kind of a ballpark figure as to how to charge them...Crazy Right?...Thx for your reply though. It's much appreciated
                  Not really, similar thing happened at my company. Each location is run as a separate entity with its own accounts payable/billable yada yada.

Comment

Make sure you clearly define in writing that whatever part programs they provide you guys are proven to perform reliably.

I have had to go into a couple places to correct programs provided by 3rd parties or sister plants that were less than professional work. It's not fun.

At a minimum, the program's gotta be able to check the same part and get the same results (within machine uncertainty) time after time. You'd be surprised at how often people just correct the movepoints to not crash and say, "Well it's done..." and wash their hands of it.

Comment

At a minimum, the program's gotta be able to check the same part and get the same results (within machine uncertainty) time after time. You'd be surprised at how often people just correct the movepoints to not crash and say, "Well it's done..." and wash their hands of it.
                      OK, this sounds horrific.

Comment

when I hear the words 'sister company/plant' it makes me wish I worked for an only child.... my experience is that 'lost in translation' is not just a movie but a cultural wall as well. I could attach a readme 10 pages long, but am pretty sure it ends up in file 13....
                        as for going rates? if I did contract work, it would be whatever the market would bear, but I'd hate losing work because I got a bit greedy. (or as mentioned, losing one's a$$ due to a low quote)

am glad I don't have to do it.

Comment

Ah yes, I just had to send a program to our sister plant. They were upset because we changed the control plan on something and they didn't know how to edit the CMM program to accommodate the changes. So my boss asked me to send them an updated program. But there was no extra charge for that to them.

Comment

retired but doing contract work on the side.work 2-3 days a week charge 65/hr. use there equipment & offline seat.just finishing up a 2 years long project.
                            most programs 15-20 thousand lines of code long.

Comment

This is very subjective, depending on the facility and who writes it...I have seen many great programs and many, "who the H-e-LL wrote this ?"
                              Jim Jewell

Comment