PC-DMIS vs. AVAIL; the winner is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC-DMIS vs. AVAIL; the winner is...

I just spent approximately 2.5 weeks writing 2 programs in AVAIL. The reason it took so long is that the engineer couldn't make up his mind as to how he wanted me to report the measured values(hey, how about to the print dumbshite?). I created the two programs and had to re-report the dimensions 3x!!!(the reporting stuff took me 1.5 weeks, has anyone used the old AUTOFIT? Talk about cumbersome). I don't how many are familiar with AVAIL, but reporting stuff can be a pain, especially if you have to edit what is in the program already.
    At the same time I had to create these programs in PC-DMIS(that took about 2.5 days)(Again, ripping out the report 3x).
    Anyways my little rant here is only to enlighten you as to how good you(we) have it using PC-DMIS(and to blow off a little steam).

P.S.
    I have 6 more programs to create in AVAIL. Luckily I have them created in PC-DMIS so I"ll just print out the entire program and start typing(yes, typing, I hate typing!!!!) Give me a mouse and a CAD model any day, I'd even take a surface plate, two sticks and a rock and be happier.
    See you in a week or so.
    sigpic

James Mannes

Avail

I too still use AVAIL... but only to run programs, I'll never write another program in that software. PC-Dmis only now, I just have too many programs in AVAIL to abandon it all together. Its quite the pain in the butt switching back and forth between the 2 but hey, if I had the time I would never use that AVAIL again.

I also hate having to edit in AVAIL now, I keep forgetting the easy commands.....

Comment

Unless you are familiar with "OUTPUT/FORMAT USER" and how to create custom outputs, I recommend sending all data to Datapage always and then creating spreadsheet reports... doscp to a Windows box and import into excel.

We have many macros written to sort out the data from there to any format you want vert or horiz... free for the asking...

Note these also work with windows datapage spreadsheet reports.

Personally I would put Avail up against pcdmis any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Comment

We have 6 cmms, all with AVAIL and DATAPAGE, all networked and running 24 hours a day. This is a rock solid system that has been running for years. All DATAPAGE data from all 6 machines is stored on server for easy access. No buying 'extra' modules to do things the software should do in the first place, i.e GRR's, probe changer, etc.. Programs are all written so anyone can execute, custom macros for datapage charts such that the operator hits 'Ctrl K' while in AVAIL and charts are automatically printed, thus no need for operator to know anything about datapage. I have AVAIL, MM4 and PCDMIS (3.5 no mr), and when I need a program for the average worker to run it is in AVAIL due primarily to the stability of the o.s. and AVAIL, this stuff does not crash. Don't get me wrong I also like PCDMIS, it is no where near as solid as the old stuff.

Comment

Old time AVAIL and MM4 user. I agree this was a pretty rock solid system. Very few crashes (unless they were a physical crash type). Also had some features I miss. It was a harder system to learn (No pictures of your part and alignments). But I wouldn't trade it for PcDmis. Even with some of the issues we are going in the right direction. Hopefully I'll be around when we get there.

BS
          Windows 7
          Pc-Dmis 2015
          Global Performance 7-10-7

Comment

Originally posted by ytilauq
            Unless you are familiar with "OUTPUT/FORMAT USER" and how to create custom outputs, I recommend sending all data to Datapage always and then creating spreadsheet reports... doscp to a Windows box and import into excel.

We have many macros written to sort out the data from there to any format you want vert or horiz... free for the asking...

Note these also work with windows datapage spreadsheet reports.

I would really appreciate and would be honored if I could add your marcos to our systems. Thank you for your kindness.

-Gabriel
            [email protected]
            sigpic

Comment

I too agree AVAIL does everything you ask of it and is rock solid, but it is just too cumbersome in these days/times to be efficient.
              sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

I would have to agree with James very solid software, I used it for years. I never have to deal with datapage or the likes and it seems like most of you guys have to. Just curious, is this because most of you are in the automotive field? Just wondering.....

My reasons for preferring pc-dmis is the ease in learning, seems a lot easier to debug programs, offline is much easier to use and I like something as simple as when you had a chip in the hole and got a bad reading you clean it out and just re-measure it. AVAIL was time consuming when trying to get these tasks complete. In the type of work I do, this software (other than the bugs) just make more use of my time.

Just my 2 cents......

Comment