Off-line programming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off-line programming

Is it easier to program offline? My employer wants me to do offline so that the off shifts can simply run the inspection program. I'm new to offline, I've used Romer in the past.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Darroll View Post
    Is it easier to program offline? My employer wants me to do offline so that the off shifts can simply run the inspection program. I'm new to offline, I've used Romer in the past.

Do you program with Cad files?
    3.7mr3CAD++ / 2011mr1CAD++/2012mr1CAD++/QUINDOS7

Comment

Yes

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
        Offline / Online would be much the same then. Only programming offline you would have to plan ahead a lot more carefully as your obviously not seeing the CMM move as you program, but there are tools to show path lines and simulation. As your boss is saying it is a good tool to free up the CMM to measure parts, rather than to program online with, but it takes a bit of getting used to at first, I would try to do a couple of simple jobs first, then prove those out on the CMM, just to find your feet. Offline programs usually always will need some proving time on a CMM. HTH.
        3.7mr3CAD++ / 2011mr1CAD++/2012mr1CAD++/QUINDOS7

Comment

I do not find it easier or harder either way.

If you program off-line, you have to run the program to be sure you didn't make a mistake programming. When there is a crash or bad data, you spend time to figure out what went wrong and fix it. Since you are not in the mental space you were in when you programmed THAT feature, this can take longer than if you were on-line when you goofed.

If you program on-line, you run as you create features, so you know if it is going to crash or not, but you have to wait for that to happen, where most of the time you don't screw up, so this is time you didn't have to spend.

I prefer off-line, personally, not for anything I previously posted. I prefer it because when a part comes in (off the machine or final) for inspection, I have 3-5 managers up my butt to finish it in 3 minutes because they drug their feet working on it for 4 months. If my program was done off-line, I'm closer to done and people leave me alone more.

If you are programming off-line withOUT a model, it is harder. A lot of time with a calculator and picturing things in your head.

Comment

Thank you for the info. I will be posting a lot on here.

Comment

Its not like you can just program offline and let someone else run it. You have to proof it. Make sure al the moves are there, no bugs etc.
              B&S One
              PC-DMIS CAD v2014

Romer Infinity

Comment

Originally posted by WolfMan View Post
                Its not like you can just program offline and let someone else run it. You have to proof it. Make sure al the moves are there, no bugs etc.
                +1 Prove it out at a slow speed. Otherwise you will need a big probe budget!

Comment

Personally I think it's way easier and way faster to program offline. If you put forethought into your programs you shouldn't have to prove them out. Run them offline slowly so you can see what the probe is doing. Make sure you are very aware of your movepoints or clearance planes. It's easy to program movepoints offline. For example if your part is 4" long and 10" wide and 3" high and your alignment is bottom left corner and you need to take point near the furthest Y edge / near furthest X edge your move point would be (assuming XY is front left corner and Z is bottom of part with .100 prehit/retract) :

X= 4.100"
                  Y= 9.900"
                  Z=3.100"

If you pay attention to the size of your part and the location of your probe offline, you shouldn't run into any problems while running online. If probe rotation are needed make sure you know the parameters of your machine and be aware of rotating into the bridge. I typically allow an inch more than the length of the (in this particular scenario) SM25>SH25>Extension>Probe, the average setup like this is around 6.5" so when needing to clear the part to rotate I allow 7.5" of clearance.

Hope this helps
                  Last edited by YGOLORTEM; 09-01-2015, 08:57 AM.
                  Jesse Krook

Comment

I find it easier and safer to program offline. On many occasions when changing something or programming online I have forgotten to untick the measure now box only to see the probe fly off down the CMM with me reaching for the E-stop.

The problem that I regularly come across with offline programming is (because I will be writing a programme before any parts are even produced) that I will not know how the part will be clamped or held on the CMM so I often have to change clearance planes or add new move points to accomodate clamps or fixtures that are never made or designed before the part.

Comment

On-line programming ? You can do that ? Why would you wait for a part in hand when you can do it weeks in advance ? Machine shop doesn't program their CNC at the same times as they get the blanks or castings do they ? Never even considered such a thing. If you use fixturing of any kind on the cmm with your parts, incorporate this into a cad-assembly for your iges or step. Your proveout time will be 10x faster when you don't have unexpected clamps and fixture components showing up where cause problems.

Comment

So once I program the part offline, I have to do a dry run of the part?

Comment

Originally posted by bigtallanddopey View Post
                          I find it easier and safer to program offline. On many occasions when changing something or programming online I have forgotten to untick the measure now box only to see the probe fly off down the CMM with me reaching for the E-stop.

The problem that I regularly come across with offline programming is (because I will be writing a programme before any parts are even produced) that I will not know how the part will be clamped or held on the CMM so I often have to change clearance planes or add new move points to accomodate clamps or fixtures that are never made or designed before the part.
                          that and you need to know exactly what operation will be performed. Which can be tricky and need to be discussed with the cnc programmer first.

In a job shop, the ops change from time to time, which makes it hard to program ahead.
                          B&S One
                          PC-DMIS CAD v2014

Romer Infinity

Comment

So once I program the part offline, I have to do a dry run of the part?

Typically it is safe to if you are the only programmer
                            Jesse Krook

Comment

And I would do this using the cad file?

Comment