incorporating excel to make part programs

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • incorporating excel to make part programs

    Hello everyone. I would like to know if it is possible to use excel (or some program like it) to help quickly write a program to measure cylindrical parts. The parts consist of 9 ODs and IDs that are concentric to one another. Most of the parts I need to measure are somewhat like this and I aim to write the programs as quick as possible in off-line mode. Quickly because my time-frame is limited and off-line because I have a lot of distractions at the office that doesn't help me get focused on completing the programs. So, does anyone have any suggestions to offer me? I have developed simple excel sheets to give me points in the past to help me write programs, but that involves a lot of manual editing of X,Y,Z,I,J,Ks. My initial thought was to find a way to incorporate excel or use copy and paste with pattern. I have used copy and paste with pattern with some success and I have not been able to figure out how to incorporate excel. Can someone 'point me in the right direction' so I can get closer to my goal? Thank you for your time and I would appreciate to hear any ideas that I can 'mull' over. Have a great day! By the way, I do have access to IGS and STP files.
    Last edited by wowie; 08-06-2015, 07:14 AM.

  • #2
    I don't understand why??? Why not measure in pcdmis?

    You have cad so should be fast enough. You cant copy and paste into pcdmis from other softwares
    Last edited by WolfMan; 08-06-2015, 08:05 AM.
    B&S One
    PC-DMIS CAD v2014

    Romer Infinity

    Comment


    • #3
      I am trying to do that right now. I see that I will need to study on working with collision detection. I was hoping to create one template (for varying sizes) with excel that I can use to calculate the points for me and then import into pcdmis to speed up point creation. I will keep working on it when time permits.

      Comment


      • #4
        Are the parts similar in size? Is it the same part with different diameters?
        Jesse Krook

        Comment


        • #5
          Varying sizes and different diameters.

          Comment


          • #6
            I don't know any way of moving features from excel to dmis, or any other software's that allow that As far as making one program for multiple diam, its doable with a little logic.
            B&S One
            PC-DMIS CAD v2014

            Romer Infinity

            Comment


            • #7
              Thank you, I will continue working with it and post again once i have come up with a program. Excuse me, I have to S,S,S before I go back to the grind called "WORK."

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by wowie View Post
                Thank you, I will continue working with it and post again once i have come up with a program. Excuse me, I have to S,S,S before I go back to the grind called "WORK."
                sss?? wtf.

                To write a code for a family of parts using variables, it requires some high level programming. If you not comfortable with variables and logic statements, I would advise to look into mark sets, which will allow you to only measure features you want, per selection.

                Or do it the simple way (my way), I create 1 program, then I simply do Save As, and modify it, and so on for the rest of the programs. I don't like to complicate things unless I absolutely have to.
                B&S One
                PC-DMIS CAD v2014

                Romer Infinity

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by WolfMan View Post
                  sss?? wtf.
                  Crap, Shower, Shave.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It really depends on what you're doing an how similar they are.

                    You can easily(ish) read in from a text file and input those values into PC-Dmis - it's called parametric programming.

                    I'll post a simple example of the usage in PC-Dmis in a bit (program running right now) - although I'm not reading from a text file it will give you a feel for things.

                    Also you don't need to go as far as calculating hits xyz's and ijk's, you just feed the diameter / location into an auto feature and it will adjust the hits for you.
                    Automettech - Automated Metrology Technology

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      you can export text from notepad to demon??
                      Originally posted by NinjaBadger View Post
                      It really depends on what you're doing an how similar they are.

                      You can easily(ish) read in from a text file and input those values into PC-Dmis - it's called parametric programming.

                      I'll post a simple example of the usage in PC-Dmis in a bit (program running right now) - although I'm not reading from a text file it will give you a feel for things.

                      Also you don't need to go as far as calculating hits xyz's and ijk's, you just feed the diameter / location into an auto feature and it will adjust the hits for you.
                      B&S One
                      PC-DMIS CAD v2014

                      Romer Infinity

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        You can either use file read/write commands within PC-Dmis to read in text to variables/assignments, which you can the feed into auto-features (probably the most common approach), however you could also import and xyz file (which is more akin to importing a CAD file consisting simply of points if I remember correctly).
                        Automettech - Automated Metrology Technology

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by NinjaBadger View Post
                          You can either use file read/write commands within PC-Dmis to read in text to variables/assignments, which you can the feed into auto-features (probably the most common approach), however you could also import and xyz file (which is more akin to importing a CAD file consisting simply of points if I remember correctly).
                          ahh, this is what Tking is trying to explain to me in histogram thread.
                          B&S One
                          PC-DMIS CAD v2014

                          Romer Infinity

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Canadian Measurement Metrology has a nice YouTube video that explains the Ascii Importer

                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7opBRwAAFU

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              very cool indeed
                              Originally posted by kingsld1 View Post
                              Canadian Measurement Metrology has a nice YouTube video that explains the Ascii Importer

                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7opBRwAAFU
                              B&S One
                              PC-DMIS CAD v2014

                              Romer Infinity

                              Comment

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X