Thinking this may be a glich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking this may be a glich

Trying to report a runout of a surface to a surface and a face using xact measure seems to give me the right deviation but if I turn or graphics it seems like the error/vector is flipped. If I report it as a parallelism which is what it seems to be reporting at anyways it matches what I see on the machine using indicators. looks like axial runout is just like the hole concentricity being report as position. any more insight would be helpful.

Originally posted by Spencer_23 View Post
    Trying to report a runout of a surface to a surface and a face
    Well there's your problem.
    Runout requires a primary datum that's a centerline/centerpoint, a surface cannot be datum for runout.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Carpenter View Post
      Well there's your problem.
      Runout requires a primary datum that's a centerline/centerpoint, a surface cannot be datum for runout.
      Ooops I miss spoke,
      So my datum -A- is a surface
      datum -B- is a bore
      and its runout of a back surface which is parallel to -A-
      runout to -A-B-

Comment

Ooops I miss spoke,
        So my datum -A- is a surface
        datum -B- is a bore
        and its runout of a back surface which is parallel to -A-
        runout to -A-B-
        The callout should say runout to B A then. Primary must be centerline/centerpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Carpenter View Post
          The callout should say runout to B A then. Primary must be centerline/centerpoint.
          is that a dmis thing?

Comment

is that a dmis thing?
            It's a GD&T "thing"
            sigpic

Comment

runout.png
              based off ASME Y14.5

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10680[/ATTACH]
                based off ASME Y14.5
                That's a good find, thank you. Now I see what your print wants. It's rare and really tricky to check mechanically unless you build a special whirligig that holds the part with the plane as primary and centerline as secondary. Every whirligig I've used has a chuck that holds the centerline datum as primary.

Trying to report a runout of a surface to a surface and a face using xact measure seems to give me the right deviation but if I turn or graphics it seems like the error/vector is flipped. If I report it as a parallelism which is what it seems to be reporting at anyways it matches what I see on the machine using indicators. looks like axial runout is just like the hole concentricity being report as position. any more insight would be helpful.
                So I went back and re-read your 1st post more carefully.
                It seems your #1 problem is a graphics arrow and your #2 problem is that unless you are spinning the part clamped to the A plane but rotating around B bore center you're not going to see the same deviation. Just running the indicator over a motionless part is parallelism - although the results should not be too much different if you're sweeping over the whole surface and the part is not mangled. How much different are your results?

Comment

Yeah definitely something you do not see everyday, I have not had the time to see if putting the bore -B-(circle) so no axis as primary too see if it would fix my graphics issues or not hope to try it out later today. I know its not "right" but I'm thinking it will give me the same deviation and may fix my graphics which would be nice! thanks for the help.

Comment