Tiny star probe calibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny star probe calibration

I have a tiny star probe. When I attempt the normal cal, it will shank when it attempts to do the 4 points around the center of my 0.75" cal sphere. Is there a way I can tell it to take those 4 points further out?
    The star is 10.5mm across, with 4-3mm shanks and 1mm balls. I have been setting it up with a 20mm extension above it and a 2x10mm below. Total length is about 40mm.
    Mounted on a Tesastar M8 and a MF magnetic probe.
    I keep the qual sphere in the same place always.
    The probe setup builds fine in DMIS as well (from the head to tips).
    I couldn't font a similar question, but there are some great things about star probes!
    As always, thanks!

Also, my calibration window shows a standard setup of 5 hits, pre-hit of 0.1575". I do not have shank qual selected.
    Last edited by RadconRanger; 07-14-2015, 07:20 PM. Reason: Extra info!

The normal cal routine will default to qualify around 180 degrees of the reference sphere. There is an option in the probe qualification window to reduce this buy a measure of degrees. If you need to reduce it by more than 10 or 15 degrees to avoid shanking, then you need a smaller reference sphere to accommodate your small star probe.
    3.7mr3CAD++ / 2011mr1CAD++/2012mr1CAD++/QUINDOS7

Comment

Originally posted by Liambo734 View Post
      The normal cal routine will default to qualify around 180 degrees of the reference sphere. There is an option in the probe qualification window to reduce this buy a measure of degrees. If you need to reduce it by more than 10 or 15 degrees to avoid shanking, then you need a smaller reference sphere to accommodate your small star probe.
      What he said. Change the angle
      B&S One
      PC-DMIS CAD v2014

Romer Infinity

Comment

Originally posted by Liambo734 View Post
        Any recommends on where to get spheres?
        Thanks!

Comment

itpstyli.com
          precisionballs.com
          (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

I was looking at Baltec and wanted to know if a 10mm cal sphere would be appropriate for this tiny star I have been discussing here. Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Silencerco View Post
              I was looking at Baltec and wanted to know if a 10mm cal sphere would be appropriate for this tiny star I have been discussing here. Thanks!!
              I'm going to suggst that you try different sized ball bearings glued to a shaft until you find the appropriate size for your application. Not for true calibrations but to find what will work for your cal routine. Then purchase a true cal sphere of that similar size for proper calibration. Then get to work.......................

TK
              sigpicHave a homebrew

Comment

I mounted a 6mm stylus to a threaded rod and put a jam nut on it then screwed it into the table.
                when in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

Comment

I have it set up for a 1mm ball. See attachment
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic

Comment

Several ways to test the water before junping in head first! Get out of the box!

Good ideas, guys,

TK
                    sigpicHave a homebrew

Comment