Recalling a Pre-Saved Manual Alignment. Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recalling a Pre-Saved Manual Alignment. Possible?

Hi guys.

Where I work we currently operate 20 CMMs. Certain programs in the factory are validated to run on several CMMs. When the operators set the programs up, they have to manually align dependent on the CMM, obviously.

We keep the programs on our server database which are pulled and saved onto the individual c:drives of the CMM PC. It would be great if there was a way we can save the pre-set manual alignment points of each CMM & program to the C:drives and recall that manual alignment in the programs so that it runs round regardless of the CMM.

Is this possible? I hope this makes sense.

Kind regards,

Ben

Hi Ben - perfectly possible.

What I do on most of mine is

One alignment program.

Basically a manual alignment, followed by Insert>Alignment>Save (I then give it the part number for the alignment file) i.e. 123456.aln

One measurement program.

At the start I recall the external alignment (The drop list at the top of the screen has all stored alignments in it, both internal and external)
    Then straight into the DCC alignment.

If you're looking at modifying existing programs just be careful and follow this procedure

1) Create manual alignment program and save external alignment (Hint: No reason you can't simply copy-paste from the original program)

2) Create a backup of the original program

3) Open original program

4) Right after your manual alignment select your saved external alignment from Alignment drop list - answer NO to 'update stuff below' question - this will insert a RECALL alignment command

5) after your dcc alignment features (in fact the first alignment below where you've recalled the external alignment) F9 it and change the Recall alignment from whatever your manual alignment was called, to the external alignment

6) Double check no subsequent alignments recall the manual alignment, or any other commands reference any of the features or alignments before the recall command - then you can delete the manual alignment and features.

Hope this makes sense!?
    Applications Engineer
    Hexagon UK

Comment

Additional info

All external alignment files (.aln ) are stored in the Recall directory - this can be set by Edit > Prefs > Set Search Path much line the probe directory

The same manual alignment prog can be used on each CMM as once it's run it will generate a .aln file specific to the CMM it was run on, on the local PC.
      Applications Engineer
      Hexagon UK

Comment

Thanks NinjaBadger!

I will give this a go today. I'll let you know how i get on

Cheers, Ben

Comment

I've been using external alignments since they became available, whenever that was.

They are about the best feature Pcdmis has. But, I use fixtures for 99.99% of all parts. Align the fixture with 1 program, save external, recall the external in the check program that only checks the part.

You can do anything you want to the alignment, and it will never, ever, change/tweak/screw up the features/dimensions/moves/tips in the check program.

Datums change? No problem, only changes needed are in the alignment program, no effect on the check program.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Matt, do you have to run external align first, every time you need to run the part program?
            Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
            I've been using external alignments since they became available, whenever that was.

They are about the best feature Pcdmis has. But, I use fixtures for 99.99% of all parts. Align the fixture with 1 program, save external, recall the external in the check program that only checks the part.

You can do anything you want to the alignment, and it will never, ever, change/tweak/screw up the features/dimensions/moves/tips in the check program.

Datums change? No problem, only changes needed are in the alignment program, no effect on the check program.
            B&S One
            PC-DMIS CAD v2014

Romer Infinity

Comment

Also for more clarity, Matt, if I understand you correctly that means that your check programs contain zero alignments aside from recall alignments? Because if your changing datums, the alignment that matters obviously is the last one before performing the checks. In other words, you cant be recalling a manual alignment, running a DCC and then measuring the part unless I'm missing something...I guess I'm curious what your exact process is for that. I have not yet taken the time to look at external alignments but if you can make changes to the alignments without risking the program then I definitely need to stop what I'm doing and figure it out. I'm thinking the program must recall and then execute the external alignment? Or do you execute the alignment, close the alignment program, open the check program and then execute the check program?

Comment

Also for more clarity, Matt, if I understand you correctly that means that your check programs contain zero alignments aside from recall alignments? Because if your changing datums, the alignment that matters obviously is the last one before performing the checks. In other words, you cant be recalling a manual alignment, running a DCC and then measuring the part unless I'm missing something...I guess I'm curious what your exact process is for that. I have not yet taken the time to look at external alignments but if you can make changes to the alignments without risking the program then I definitely need to stop what I'm doing and figure it out. I'm thinking the program must recall and then execute the external alignment? Or do you execute the alignment, close the alignment program, open the check program and then execute the check program?

Comment

I am curious too. I think Matt is talking about editing Extrnal Align. Since it a separate program it will not ask you to update the program features. It basically like saying No i dont want to update.

Anything you change in external should not effect the part program. Is this analogy correct Matt?
                  Originally posted by william View Post
                  B&S One
                  PC-DMIS CAD v2014

Romer Infinity

Comment

I use an external alignment recalled at the beginning of EVERY part program, the program that saves the alignment as an external may have last run over a year (maybe 2) ago. Don't overthink this guys. Matt runs one for each fixture he puts on the table when he places the fixture, the alignment is good until the fixture is moved.

TK
                    sigpicHave a homebrew

Comment

widgetinstance 190 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X