print symbol with Z

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• print symbol with Z

anyone know what this print symbol means?

its on a metal stamping (small part) surface that has straightness and perp called out. also after the symbol it says " = 30% material thickness.
    Last edited by \v/inston; 08-21-2006, 01:09 PM.

Rz surface finish. Surface requiring surface work.

Comment

Shouldnt there be a number there? See if there is a Default for that on your print.
      sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

It looks like a basic surface texture symbol for the check part of it. If that is what it is the Z should be a number for roughness. I found this in a Machinery's Handbook.

Comment

Basic surface texture callout. Is the "Z" a code for a numerical value?

BS
          Windows 7
          Pc-Dmis 2015
          Global Performance 7-10-7

Comment

Is that in the machinary bible?

Comment

I have not seen surface finish callouts like this before. I do have a callout from years ago that would indicate the "Z" in the callout is asking for the ISO 10 point average or Rz. Sometimes there is additional symbology indicating the lay of the surface or how the surface is produced. Not having much luck doing a Google on the symbol.

H
              Hilton Roberts

"Carpe Cerveza"

Comment

basic surface texture symbol=surface may be produced by any method.
                sigpic
                Southern Man don't need him around anyhow!

Comment

its a really crapy callout. i think 'Z' is a reference to a section or location on the print. the 30% mat'l thickness doens't make any sense. we have decided to call the customer, see if they can enlighten us to what they are trying to accomplish. thnx for the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by winston
                    its a really crapy callout. i think 'Z' is a reference to a section or location on the print. the 30% mat'l thickness doens't make any sense. we have decided to call the customer, see if they can enlighten us to what they are trying to accomplish. thnx for the replies.

Interesting, let us know what your customer says. They'll probably not know either, and give you a WAG(wild a$$ guess). Doesn't matter, as long as you can satisfy them, right?

I (we) might run into that someday, and I might even remember the solution if I'm having a good day.

Comment

This is why I love this place. Show us something we dont know, and we get excited that we may actully learn something new today

Comment

I have the same thing on my prints
                        the prints have a index in the upper right hand corner stating
                        X = Rz#, Y = Rz# , Z = Rz#.
                        2014 SP5, DataPage + v5.0 #331
                        [testing v2015.1]

Comment

don't know where y'all getting this Rz#. it's Ra- meaning roughness average.
                          sigpic

Comment

Roughness numbers are related to Ra, the arithmetical term for the deviation of the profile. If a numerical nominal roughness is needed, for instance Ra = 12.5 micron, the specification will be “Rugotest No. 3, N10”.

Average Maximum Peak Rz - the ten-point height of irregularities.

from this sitehttp://www.phoenixmarine.ca/roughness.htm
                            PC-DMIS 2016.0 SP8

Jeff

Comment

when using a profilometer to check surface roughness it's ALWAYS the Ra#
                              examples:64 microinches,32 microinches,etc. that is usually called out on the print. the # above the surface finish symbol. ok- just looked at one of our profilometers and the parameters read: Ra,Rq,Rz,& Rmax. i have never seen Rq,Rz,or Rmax specified on a print. it's always the Ra #.
                              Last edited by george frick; 03-30-2006, 04:03 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment