Intersection Of a Plane and Cylinder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intersection Of a Plane and Cylinder?

I'm wondering if there is a way I can construct and callout a line where a cylinder meets a plane. Just for explanation purposes, imagine you sectioned a cylinder in half, created a physical plane where the section line is, and wanted to create a line where the edge of the plane meets the sectioned edge of the cylinder. See pic for reference... Construction Q.jpg

In Pcdmis a cylinder is not stored as a revolved surface like in a CAD system. It is simply a start point, a length, a unit vector, and a diameter. As such there is nothing to intersect with the plane in the vertical direction. A cylinder is a line reducible feature so you can intersect the line component (the axis) with a plane to get a point but that's about it.

To get the line you are after you will need to go about it another way. If you provide some more detail and context for what you are trying to do someone might be able to provide an alternate method.
    2013MR1 SP6
    Global Frames, Tesastar-M Heads, LSP-X1M/H Probes

Comment

Maybe you could measure circles instead of cylinder, then intersect with the plane (should give one pont onlyby circle, reverse the plane to have the other), then construct a line between points.

Comment

If the cylinder and plane are parallel to each other, you can calculate the values easily.

ex. The part is shown in the Y Workplane.
        CYL1
        PLN1

Calculate for X and Z

1) Z = Pln1.Z

2) X is the third leg (hypoteneuse) of the right triangle. The other two legs are the CYLINDER Radius and the distance between the PLANE Z and the CYLINDER Z

X = CYL1.X - (SQRT((CYL1.R)^2 - (PLN1.Z - CYL1.Z)^2))

Hope this helps.
        Last edited by dph51; 01-28-2015, 04:42 AM.

B&S CHAMELEON/PCDMIS CAD++ V2011

There are no bugs, only "UNDOCUMENTED ENHANCEMENTS!"

sigpic

Comment

Without thinking deeply on the problem, I would do

- alignment, primary Z on plane, secondary Y on cylinder, origin Z on plane (XY coords irrelevant)
          - line L1: construct line from X-axis
          - point P1: pierce L1 and cylinder
          - translate alignment a suitable amount along Y
          - line L2: construct line from X-axis
          - point P2: pierce L2 and cylinder
          - line L_RESULT: construct line 3D from P1, P2

but maybe that's overkill?
          AndersI
          SW support - Hexagon Metrology Nordic AB

Comment

Measure cylinder
            Measure points on face (instead of a plane)
            Construct lines from points on face (from sets of points at same height along cyl axis)
            Construct pierce points from lines and cylinder
            Construct line from pierce points
            Automettech - Automated Metrology Technology

Comment

If it is exactly half a cylinder, why not use edge points? Using a small depth value to keep the probe hit as near to the actual intersection as possible might be sufficient to keep the programming simple.

Or if it is significantly more or less than half, use angle points with small spacer and depth values on the cylinder face.

Obviously this is not perfect, but it is super simple, depending on your tolerances.
              "This is my word... and as such is beyond contestation."

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
                I'm wondering if there is a way I can construct and callout a line where a cylinder meets a plane. Just for explanation purposes, imagine you sectioned a cylinder in half, created a physical plane where the section line is, and wanted to create a line where the edge of the plane meets the sectioned edge of the cylinder. See pic for reference... [ATTACH=CONFIG]10019[/ATTACH]
                when this gets figured out can you post what you did to get this I have kind the same thing i need to figure out and i have tried a few sugestions from above but not much luck. I might not be following the instructions that good ether. Thanks

Comment

Will do biohazard. Out working with a vendor for the rest of today but I'll let u know what I got to work as soon as I get something to work :-) I like the suggestions just haven't had time to put em to practice.

Comment

Without thinking deeply on the problem, I would do

- alignment, primary Z on plane, secondary Y on cylinder, origin Z on plane (XY coords irrelevant)
                    - line L1: construct line from X-axis
                    - point P1: pierce L1 and cylinder
                    - translate alignment a suitable amount along Y
                    - line L2: construct line from X-axis
                    - point P2: pierce L2 and cylinder
                    - line L_RESULT: construct line 3D from P1, P2

but maybe that's overkill?
                    I ended up using this method. NinjaBadger's method is a simpler way of accomplishing the same thing but I don't have enough surface along the x axis to use that method accurately enough. (In my real-world situation the plane the meets the cylinder edge is only about .030" wide, but is along the whole Y length of the part) The ledge itself is not a straight shot, but turns approximately 15° halfway along the part in Y so I can probably level to it as a plane accurately enough.

Biohazard, did you try this method or NinjaBadgers method?

Thanks all for your input!

Comment

So, i couldnt figure out how to do ether method. long story short they wont send me for more training than the 101 class that I got and I have basicley have to figure everything on my own, with the help of the forum im able to figure things out. so what im trying to do is get the distance of the plane and 2 lines that are intersected by the cylinder and the plane.Construction%20Q.jpg

Comment