Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Pressure Fault Issue

Hey fellas,

I'm having a hard time with the machine randomly losing air pressure.
    I know for a fact that the CMM is being provided with more than enough air pressure, the filters are cleared out, and there are no leaks in any of the lines.

The machine seems lo lose pressure if it is moving in a rapid motion and then is quickly slowed down. Will rapid acceleration/deceleration affect air pressure in the system causing a fault?

Machine is a Global Image.
    Che Guevara is a communist scumbag.

Originally posted by BIGWIG7 View Post
    I know for a fact that the CMM is being provided with more than enough air pressure, the filters are cleared out, and there are no leaks in any of the lines.
    Air pressure is one thing, air flow is another.

The Z axis will require a good amount of air when it is moving up. The faster it moves the more air is required. The number one cause of an air fault when moving the machine at high speed is restricted air flow. If the filters on the machine are not clogged then the supply to the machine might be the problem. A small air tank (reserve) mounted next to the machine would help in this case.

Comment

any specific brand or type/size?

Comment

Without knowing more about the source of the problem I can't recommend anything specific.

For worst case you should have reserve enough to fill the Z axis counter balance (50 mm diameter x 1 metre would be a reasonable guess for the counter balance volume dimension). Something about the size of a BBQ tank at the pressure of the counter balance (approx 30 psi). If your supply is 90 psi to the machine the reserve volume could be cut in third.

The only way you can really know what size of tank you need is to monitor the pressure and flow to the machine as the machine is running. There will be a steady state pressure when it is idle and it will change when moving. You simply want to soften the pressure changes so that it doesn't drop below the threshold of the machine air sensor (65 psi usually). A small tank is usually sufficient if your input pressure is high enough.
        Last edited by Rondog; 01-15-2015, 12:40 PM.

Comment

HMMM ok makes sense.

again, i would have no idea what i'm looking for. can you provide a link of a product i can have a starting point with?

Comment

• KennethNganga
            KennethNganga commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm currently have the same issue you were in this thread. Were you able to find a solution?

• BIGWIG7
            BIGWIG7 commented
            Editing a comment
            hahaha this was 5 years ago. I don't remember what we did to fix it. it actually might have been a small air leak in the z axis

I recently had our air dryer crap out. it was letting some air in and when the CMM would get going air pressure fault would come on. if you have one.
          (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
          They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment