Module Extension Length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Module Extension Length

I am sure someone knows this answer and could help me out.
    I would like to know what is the maxium extension length I could use for the modules on a TP20?
    I have looked around and can't really find an answer. I am sure there is some of ya'll that use diferent lengths and could tell me. I need to run a tip in the range of 4". I have had trouble getting my module to work something in that length.
    I think I may have to have an Extended Force Module with a carbon fiber extension.
    Any help would be great.
    Thanks
    B. Jacobs
    B&S Global 12.15.10

Do you have any of the extensions that extend from the probe/adapter to the TP20 and can they be employed? I do 4X50 ceramics on a standard force with 90º A rotations all of the time 100 mm seems like quite a bit though. I'd be hessitant but you could always try and then verify it. I have never really pushed the confidence envelope on it to be honest. Are you going to rotate your A angle?

Craig
    <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

the answer is in the renishaw catalog - look at the TP20 module page there is a max length for each force module. i think for the extended force its like 60mm.

Comment

Theorhetically, I think you can use as long a tip as you want as long as you don't get false triggers from vibration. I don't think accuracy will be affected as long as you calibrate the tip and the std. dev. is good.

Of course, using a very long tip on a std. force module will probably cause the spring in the module to wear out prematurely.

This is just my opinion and I am sure someone will try to prove me wrong. Let's see if the suceed.

Comment

I use a medium force TP20 module with a 90mm carbon fiber with a 6mmx10mm styli quite bit. No problems at a90b90 etc etc.
          sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

I use 100mm length almost 100% of the time. I use a tp200 as well. It does make a differance on the accuracy and repeatability to use longer lengths. There are many factors that need to be considered. Like the accuracy of the cmm that you are using, module, weight of probe stack up ect.. I forgot to say that I only use the carbon fiber extensions, because the weight will hurt you. If you rotate your probes a angle this will also have an effect, the more that you rotate the a angle the more it affects your accuracy. I have run some test with different lengths and weights on my xcel vs my global cmm and found that the global is affected less by the weight and length. The global cmm has a sp600 on it. So in summary there are alot of things to consider. #1 I would use only carbon fiber extensions and never go over 100mm long, move slower so you don't get false hits, and slow down the measure speed. and I would use the extended force modules for anything over 60mm long.
            Time for the Trolls to leave.

Comment

Actually ceramic is lighter than carbon and has a smaller shank dia too (good for clearance). For the clumsy ones though it is very unforgiving.

Craig

I stand corrected, it is lighter on some but not all

M2 styli:

Size Ceramic Carbon
              4x50 0.91g 1.0g
              5x50 1.31g 1.1g
              6x50 1.49g 1.2g

C
              Last edited by craiger_ny; 11-01-2006, 04:18 PM.
              <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

Originally posted by craiger_ny View Post
                Do you have any of the extensions that extend from the probe/adapter to the TP20 and can they be employed? I do 4X50 ceramics on a standard force with 90º A rotations all of the time 100 mm seems like quite a bit though. I'd be hessitant but you could always try and then verify it. I have never really pushed the confidence envelope on it to be honest. Are you going to rotate your A angle?

Craig
                I have a new part that MAY require me to rotate the head. I am just now working on the programming. I was asked by he boss if I had everything I needed IE: probes.
                I was just thinking if I need to reach way inside this thing, I might have to have a longer extension.
                I have been able to use a 4MM X 60MM with no problems.
                B. Jacobs
                B&S Global 12.15.10

Comment

Depending on why you need the extra length(no smart *** comments please), I like the EM1 and EM2 for added length if it is just length to reach into a part.

100mm total will work but the medium force module or greater is needed. Anything longer wont fit on the stylus changer without hitting the table, unless you put spacers under the changer mount.
                  Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

I use EM2 also. It works great with 100mm carbon tip
                    sigpic

Comment

I use a 5x100 carbon fiber on a std force tp20 with rotations. I move very slow and it works ok. You do suffer a tiny bit on accuracy, from my studies .0002" or less. I have tried this on an extended force and while I had fewer false triggers, I also had greater error in my hits. If you need more than 100m you either need a different probe system that is designed to handle longer tips or you can try cheating with a tp2 by tightening the tension, but you must be very careful there as overtightening can damage the tp2 when you take hits in the Z axis (A0B0). HTH
                      sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I don't think I will need to go longer than 100MM. I will try to get a carbon fiber extension and use that.
                        B. Jacobs
                        B&S Global 12.15.10

Comment

Extension with TESASTAR-I

Is anyone have the idea of what would be the maximum length that can be connected to TESASTAR-I ?

I have a part that needs probing length of 120mm and at angle 90 degree. TESASTAR-I is OK for this task? Any good suggestions?

GTS-Jay

Comment