Non CMM question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non CMM question...

Learned Peers (Its pronounced learned Lisa, learned), I am trying to source a hand held metrology instrument that will measure the groove diameter of this part (See Att. - highlighted Dim.). Using our CMM is not an option as the instrument will have to be portable. Bowers in the UK can make us a special bore micrometer but the lead time is over 2 months. I have more like 2-4 weeks to find something suitable. As you can see, the tolerance is fairly close (all Dims. are metric). Does anybody have any ideas who can supply me with something suitable?

Regards & TIA

F.EXAMPLE1.jpg
    Recently jumped from 3.5 Mr 2 CAD
    to 2012 CAD++

I am not a big fan of the Dyer style groove gages because of the sensitivity and the technique that is required but I have found that many groove diameter gages require a certain technique that can agrevate getting a good reading but those gages (and look alikes that work the same way) are on the shelf. At ±0.04 mm (±0.00157) tolerance though I'm not sure if that is the best pick. Like I said it is a shelf item.

Craig
    <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

Originally posted by craiger_ny View Post
      I am not a big fan of the Dyer style groove gages because of the sensitivity and the technique that is required but I have found that many groove diameter gages require a certain technique that can agrevate getting a good reading but those gages (and look alikes that work the same way) are on the shelf. At ±0.04 mm (±0.00157) tolerance though I'm not sure if that is the best pick. Like I said it is a shelf item.

Craig

Cheers Craig. We have a nice Mitutoyo set of these Dyer style gauges but they dont seem to be repeatable enough for tolerances this small (BTW, is it true that Mitutoyo are in trouble for supplying Iran with CMMs???).
      I hate to say it but we may have to modify the anvils of a standard bore micrometer ourselves (I hate chopping up standard gauging).
      to 2012 CAD++

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer View Post
        Cheers Craig. We have a nice Mitutoyo set of these Dyer style gauges but they dont seem to be repeatable enough for tolerances this small (BTW, is it true that Mitutoyo are in trouble for supplying Iran with CMMs???). I hate to say it but we may have to modify the anvils of a standard bore micrometer ourselves (I hate chopping up standard gauging).

You would not happen to have the Iranian website so i could send them my resume. Its getting kinda rough in the auto industry.....
        sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

Cheers Craig. We have a nice Mitutoyo set of these Dyer style gauges but they dont seem to be repeatable enough for tolerances this small (BTW, is it true that Mitutoyo are in trouble for supplying Iran with CMMs???).
          I hate to say it but we may have to modify the anvils of a standard bore micrometer ourselves (I hate chopping up standard gauging).
          Not sure what country, but 4 of the top execitives are in jail in japan for something along that line.

just tell you Mitutoyo saleman thatr you need the toll for bomb making and the top brass will expidete it
          sigpic

B&S Global 544
          Using 3.7mr3

Peace
          Greg

Nothin left ta dew but :) :) :) !

Comment

Here are a couple...

MTG

Mueller
            Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Lybia but it will blow over internationally. In Japan however, there will be hard feelings and harsh actions for a while. They are very conservative minded. Sorry Bob they dumped there nuke program shortly after. You could send a resume to Iran, I heard Ahmenidejad or whatever his name is is trying to promote western tourism in Iran. Like I want to go over there are have my head sawn off for not being a Muslim. Sure about 20 years ago they hold us hostage now they want us riding the burka bomber at Muhamed land theme park.
              <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

http://www.swissmann.com/Model%20Q-40.htm

Would this work for you?

Learned Peers (Its pronounced learned Lisa, learned), I am trying to source a hand held metrology instrument that will measure the groove diameter of this part (See Att. - highlighted Dim.). Using our CMM is not an option as the instrument will have to be portable. Bowers in the UK can make us a special bore micrometer but the lead time is over 2 months. I have more like 2-4 weeks to find something suitable. As you can see, the tolerance is fairly close (all Dims. are metric). Does anybody have any ideas who can supply me with something suitable?

Regards & TIA

F.[ATTACH]817[/ATTACH]
                N.

Comment

Cheers all, I have sent a mail to MTG and Mueller but I couldnt find any mailing addy for swissman. I will also hit the usual suspects with my request (Mitutoyo, Mahr etc).
                  to 2012 CAD++

Comment

Swissmann Engineering, Inc.
                    P. O. Box 1626
                    Lake Isabella, California 93240 USA
                    sigpicYou're just jealous the voices talk to me.

Comment

Didn't we just have this discussion a few weeks ago? I would use a standard bore gage to measure the 12.00-12.002 diameter. Then take a casting of the other features using reporubber or similar metrology grade material and then obtain readings from a calibrated optical comparator. Measure the distance from the 12.00 to the feature you need, multiply by two, (to convert radius to diameter), and add to the actual size of the 12.00 that came from the bore gage. If you are concerned about egging, then use the mueller or similar type gage to check roundness. All the types of gages I have seen and used for snap rings and the like are good for checking the roundness but notoriously finicky and prone to error when it comes to size. HTH
                      sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Originally posted by DaddyBluto View Post
                        Swissmann Engineering, Inc.
                        P. O. Box 1626
                        Lake Isabella, California 93240 USA

Cheers DB but I should have said electro mail )
                        to 2012 CAD++

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Cisco View Post
                          Didn't we just have this discussion a few weeks ago? I would use a standard bore gage to measure the 12.00-12.002 diameter. Then take a casting of the other features using reporubber or similar metrology grade material and then obtain readings from a calibrated optical comparator. Measure the distance from the 12.00 to the feature you need, multiply by two, (to convert radius to diameter), and add to the actual size of the 12.00 that came from the bore gage. If you are concerned about egging, then use the mueller or similar type gage to check roundness. All the types of gages I have seen and used for snap rings and the like are good for checking the roundness but notoriously finicky and prone to error when it comes to size. HTH

Great minds Wes! This is exactly what we are doing at the moment. The diameter in question though SHOULD be measured 100% (I know, I know). Obviously this would cost more in Reprorubber than what the actual compenent is worth.
                          to 2012 CAD++

Comment

Look at this site:
                            http://www.emachinetool.com/tooling/...185&Source=PTC

Comment

CMM Guy, I owe you a beer. Mueller are able to give us what we need. Many thanks to everybody that provided me with info.
                              to 2012 CAD++

Comment