Same program, 2 different machines

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Same program, 2 different machines

    Some time ago, I wrote a program for a V8 engine block on the LK-G80 that is "my" CMM. The CMM it was intended to run on is a larger machine, a DEA Epsilon. When I went to run the program on the larger machine, I found I had to create a sort of "dummy" startup alignment at the beginning to mimic the size of the smaller machine's workspace, otherwise the program woudn't run properly.

    Why is that? Shouldn't the part alignment take care of things? Or is it because I started with an alignment based on a READPOINT?
    sigpic

  • #2
    A readpoint should make it easier to switch from a smaller machine to a larger machine.
    With a readpoint you are dependent on the part not the volumetric cube. Is there an area where your 'larger' machine is actually SMALLER? (x-travel, y-travel, z-travel)
    Are you using the EXACT SAME(probehead through to tip) probing setup on both machines? How about parameters....so on and so forth in lines of questions to get to your resolution. (check distances, opt probe settings, temp comps...etc)

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by R2ah1ze1l View Post
      A readpoint should make it easier to switch from a smaller machine to a larger machine.
      With a readpoint you are dependent on the part not the volumetric cube. Is there an area where your 'larger' machine is actually SMALLER? (x-travel, y-travel, z-travel)
      Are you using the EXACT SAME(probehead through to tip) probing setup on both machines? How about parameters....so on and so forth in lines of questions to get to your resolution. (check distances, opt probe settings, temp comps...etc)
      My thoughts too - might need more info as to the nature of the problem.

      Are the machine co-ordinate systems the same?

      What version(s) of PC-Dmis?
      Automettech - Automated Metrology Technology

      Comment


      • #4
        Just a thought. I ran a DEA 1304 that when I stood at the front of the CMM I was not looking at the Y axis but the X axis.... Took me while to get used to that machine.

        Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
        Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
        Contura Calypso 5.4

        Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

        Comment


        • #5
          Sorry, haven't had time to get back to this until now. The DEA is probably half again larger in all three axes, vs the LK. There is no temperature compensation, both machines are old (1980's vintage or so). The versions of PC-CMIS are different, LK is CAD, and the DEA is CAD++. However, we don't use CAD for the program, however autofeatures were used to write it. X axis is the same on both machines, front to back, Y is parallel to front of table. Probe length and configuration is the same, thought the DEA version uses carbon fiber extensions and the LK version does not. Check distance would be the same on both machines (same program).

          The alignment is done with a Readpoint . . . perhaps I'm doing Readpoints wrong? At one point, someone from Hexagon support said something to me about when one uses a Readpoint, after taking the Readpoint, you were supposed to go in and change the values in it to zero. However, when I did this, things got crazy. So I went back to just taking my Readpoint and making my first alignment from it without changing any values. Never had any problems getting anything to run.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ClayOgre View Post
            Sorry, haven't had time to get back to this until now. The DEA is probably half again larger in all three axes, vs the LK. There is no temperature compensation, both machines are old (1980's vintage or so). The versions of PC-CMIS are different, LK is CAD, and the DEA is CAD++. However, we don't use CAD for the program, however autofeatures were used to write it. X axis is the same on both machines, front to back, Y is parallel to front of table. Probe length and configuration is the same, thought the DEA version uses carbon fiber extensions and the LK version does not. Check distance would be the same on both machines (same program).

            The alignment is done with a Readpoint . . . perhaps I'm doing Readpoints wrong? At one point, someone from Hexagon support said something to me about when one uses a Readpoint, after taking the Readpoint, you were supposed to go in and change the values in it to zero. However, when I did this, things got crazy. So I went back to just taking my Readpoint and making my first alignment from it without changing any values. Never had any problems getting anything to run.
            IF you have used features that are supported in CAD++ that are NOT supported in CAD, then the CAD machine WILL NOT RUN THEM and it will NOT tell you that there are un-supported features in the program AND it will just skip over them. If one of those unsopprted features are used in your DCC alignment, the program will not run correctly. It WILL run, it will skip those features, and screw up your alignment.
            sigpic
            Originally posted by AndersI
            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
              IF you have used features that are supported in CAD++ that are NOT supported in CAD, then the CAD machine WILL NOT RUN THEM and it will NOT tell you that there are un-supported features in the program AND it will just skip over them. If one of those unsopprted features are used in your DCC alignment, the program will not run correctly. It WILL run, it will skip those features, and screw up your alignment.
              I'm going from a CAD machine to a CAD ++ machine. CAD is on the smaller machine.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                I use an external alignment to make a program portable. If your part is placed the same relative to the external alignment (think mounting hole in the plate) centered in the machine workspace each machine will find the part. No readpoint, probing or any other antics, just DCC from the get go. Program as usual for proper alignments etc on each part.

                .02,

                TK
                sigpicHave a homebrew

                Comment


                • #9
                  As I recall, on DEA machines the axes are rotated 90deg clockwise.

                  The X+ is Y- on a Global
                  The Y+ is X+ on a Global

                  edit/ Dwade beat me by a whole week

                  Comment

                  Related Topics

                  Collapse

                  Working...
                  X