CAD model integrity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAD model integrity

I have a problem that I am not sure how to address.

A current project that we are working on gives me nominals from CAD (IGES into PC-DMIS) that are off from the drawing AND from the original UG CAD model. I am only talking 0.013-0.015mm but that is 10% of our tolerance.

Does anyone else ever notice thing like this? I have had our design and engineer staff verify these and it bothers me to find that when off-line programming it does this.
    Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
    Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Is that common?
    Is it the converter that causes the error?
    Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

I have our programmers/engineers export their UG files to IGES, then I import into PC-DMIS. I have seen it happen in the past a few times but tolerances were not so tight and I didn't pay much attention to it then.
      Contura Calypso 5.4

Comment

So, is it UG export causing the error or PCDMIS.

Have you ever found that the "resolution" of the displayed model in PCDMIS makes any difference on the accuracy of the points/features?
        Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

The problem is in UG, it has very sh1tty export functionality due to the internal short-cuts it uses to create data, I have sen this over and over and over and ONLY from UG. Tell them to export it as a STEP file, you might have better luck. UG uses some of the MOST horrible short-cuts for creating data and they do not use 'correct' (for lack of a better word) IGES Export. UG IGES files will not pull in correctly in 3 or the 4 'cad' systems I have on my computer (Pcdmis, Cadkey, Surfcam, UG, Mastercam) but I have had decent luck with STEP FILES, as long as they can export them in the correct orientation.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I've never tried changing the resolution of the model. Where do I change it? And what direction shold I go with the resolution?
            Contura Calypso 5.4

Comment

Originally posted by dwade
              I've never tried changing the resolution of the model. Where do I change it? And what direction shold I go with the resolution?
              Changing the resolution is an OPEN GL thing, and the only thing it will do is change the way it LOOKS, it does not change ANY of the mathematical data. The lower the setting, the better everything looks, the higer the setting, then holes can start to look like hexes, but they are still the same hole as is defined in the data.
              sigpic
              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I ahve used STEP files once or twice and have found them to be "cumbersome" when importing into PC-DMIS. Do STEP files as a whole work better than IGES in PC-DMIS.
                Contura Calypso 5.4

Comment

Originally posted by dwade
                  I ahve used STEP files once or twice and have found them to be "cumbersome" when importing into PC-DMIS. Do STEP files as a whole work better than IGES in PC-DMIS.
                  Not really, but they do export about 50,000% better from UG then IGES does.
                  sigpic

Comment

I hear nothing but bad things about UG, chalk up another.

Hey Hodeman, is CadKey still in bussiness? I heard they are no more, used it a little bit but once I went 3D I never wanted to go back.
                    <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

I do not know if they are still in business or not, but I still use it here on my computer. Works great for 3-D as well as 2-D.

http://www.kubotekusa.com/products/cadkey.html

This sounds like they are no longer making updates, but it is still supported, at least to a certain degree.
                      sigpic

Comment