Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profile of Surface (plane) to cylinder datum

Hi all,

Hopefully a simple answer to a question that i'm somewhat confused on. Attached is a pdf portion of blueprint with a cad view of the section i'm not certain about.

There are 3 slot surfaces that are to be 1.242 (basic) from datum c but also 3 profile of surfaces called out. i'm confused about the middle one in that it asks for a profile of surface to Datum A, but datum A is the cylinder that runs straight across the part and the 3 slots are almost like a plane running perpendicular to the cylinder.

From my understanding, when a profile of a surface is attached to a datum this includes both form and location. i'm exaggerating here now, but if the 3 slot surfaces 'act' almost like a plane, how do i go about determining location from datum A?

thank you for the help
    Attached Files
    Brown & Sharpe / PC-DMIS 3.7
    Eph 2:8-9 / 1 Thes 5:21 - Who or What are you living for?

It's a stretch, but I vote the middle callout's intent is to control Perpendicularity of the three surfaces to the cylinder axis -A-, either combined or as individually surfaces.

Profile can be applied to control orientation.
    ASME Y14.5 1994, Section 6.5.1

$0.02
    sigpic

Comment

This looks like a print that was made after someone had a GD&T class from Dr.Hetlund. You will not see a 3 or 4 tier profile callout suported by the y14.5 standard at this time. Acording to my "PRECISION GD&T, FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPALS TO ADVANCED APPLICATIONS" book, page 225. ( I cannot post the diagram ) Top callout will be for location ( .004 wide zone orientated to datums) , middle callout would be for Orientation ( perp to -A- .001 ) , and 3rd callout would be for FORM / COPLANARITY ( all 3 surfaces flat to .001 ). With the 2nd and 3rd callout havint the same tolerance they may be redundant. This would aslo be all 3 surfaces combined, not each surface independent. Anyone else have any training with the Dr. and seen these callouts ?

Comment

Originally posted by Schlag View Post
        This looks like a print that was made after someone had a GD&T class from Dr.Hetlund. You... tolerance they may be redundant. This would aslo be all 3 surfaces combined, not each surface independent. Anyone else have any training with the Dr. and seen these callouts ?
        This would be my read. And you can't hit the second without the third being correct (as they are the same tolerance), so I'd second the redundant stance as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Schlag View Post
          This looks like a print that was made after someone had a GD&T class from Dr.Hetlund. You will not see a 3 or 4 tier profile callout suported by the y14.5 standard at this time. Acording to my "PRECISION GD&T, FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPALS TO ADVANCED APPLICATIONS" book, page 225. ( I cannot post the diagram ) Top callout will be for location ( .004 wide zone orientated to datums) , middle callout would be for Orientation ( perp to -A- .001 ) , and 3rd callout would be for FORM / COPLANARITY ( all 3 surfaces flat to .001 ). With the 2nd and 3rd callout havint the same tolerance they may be redundant. This would aslo be all 3 surfaces combined, not each surface independent. Anyone else have any training with the Dr. and seen these callouts ?
          How is the good Dr. Hetlund these days? Rumor has it he is not too popular at OGP anymore. He spoke at our company one time, and to the untrained eye? He was anything but objective. Hope he has seen the light....... SmartProfile/Kotem is not the be-all/end-all that he professes.
          (That's just my opinion 'cause I don't write the ASME validated algorithms....) but I will say... he no longer makes house calls here. (boo-hiss)

Comment

Thanks everyone...i'm not that much of an expert when it comes to the GD&T, but is this a common situation where rather than calling a perpendicularity, the triple stack surface profile is used?
            Brown & Sharpe / PC-DMIS 3.7
            Eph 2:8-9 / 1 Thes 5:21 - Who or What are you living for?

Comment

NO, the triple stack is not a common situation. But , depending on how much work you do for the company that this print is for , you may see similar things come form them.

Comment